Average Workweek and Salary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sirvandy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious, what is the average workweek for a NS (hours, after residency), what is the ave income, how much does malpractice eat into income, and are there opportunities for research if you are primarily a practicing surgeon? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

sirvandy said:
I am curious, what is the average workweek for a NS (hours, after residency), what is the ave income, how much does malpractice eat into income, and are there opportunities for research if you are primarily a practicing surgeon? Thanks!

Lots, lots, lots, probably not.
You're welcome!

To attempt to answer these q's:
"I am curious, what is the average workweek for a NS (hours, after residency)"
-This has been told to me as usually between 60-80 hours/week for private practice, depending on the amount of call the group divides. Academics usually are on the higher end, or even more than 80 is not uncommon.

"what is the ave income"
-Usually quoted 250-350,000/year to start. After a few years, this can greatly increase depending on the hours worked (AKA number of operations performed).

"how much does malpractice eat into income"
-California neurosurgeon malpractice about 70,000/year, but MICRA law exists here. See Florida, Nevada, Pennsylvania, etc. for current crisis. $300,000/year has been quoted there.

"are there opportunities for research if you are primarily a practicing surgeon?"
-Yes, there appears to be a permanent need for clinical study participation.

"Thanks!"
Welcome