Average specialty salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wondering what area in medicine people were interested in going into? I have always been interested in pediatrics because i love kids. I seem to change my mind every week but right now its between peds and emergency medicine....i know i'll probably end up changing my mind in the next four years as i do my rotations but i think its just fun to think of what i'll be practicing in the next several years! :D

OB-GYN , yeah right. That video Miracle of Life in high school scared me for life :(

Cardiology or Oncology for me. I am leaning more towards oncology though, since i know a lot more about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey SuzyQ, what's wrong with pediatric emergency medicine? You can meld your two interests into one and make some serious bank at the same time. Look into it. I think there are some residencies opening up in that so you don't have to do regular ER then sub-specialize in peds ER.

SuzQ or anyone else for that matter, can you find a link to a site that list the average amount of malpractice insurance (and any other type of insurance) paid by doctors in practice and in specialties. This will give a more accurate reflection of the amount of money we will be making when we get out. More importantly whether or not I will be able to pay off this HUGE loan debt I am amassing!!
Thx

Originally posted by Slingblade the Surgeon
Hey SuzyQ, what's wrong with pediatric emergency medicine? You can meld your two interests into one and make some serious bank at the same time. Look into it. I think there are some residencies opening up in that so you don't have to do regular ER then sub-specialize in peds ER.

To be board certified to Pediatric Emergeny Medicine, you must either:

A) Do an adult EM residency, followed by a Peds EM Fellowship
B) Do a pediatrics residency, followed by a Peds EM Fellowship
C) Do a combined EM/Peds residency.

Choice C is the hardest as there are so few programs. Choice A is the easiest as you lop off a year... (B is one year longer).

I plan to specialize in Pediatric and Neonatal Aerospace Medicine. As of yet, this specialty does not exist as there has been little need for the launching of children and neonates into space. As a result, this brands me as somewhat of a pioneer in this field. Just imagine NASA, in a few years, when they suddenly decide to launch "Little Jimmy" into space. Who will they consult regarding the effect of zero gravity on diaper efficacy? How will Gerber's bottled Lamb and Carrots handle the extreme G forces experienced during the shuttle launch? What area of the space station would be best suited for "time out?" Yes, all of these important questions will be addressed in Doc Sawbones' Principles of Pediatric and Neonatal Aerospace Medicine. It will no doubt be a very short book indeed, due in large part to the complete lack of research in this field. However, I plan to change that... starting with my neighbor's kids who keep stealing my newspaper.

omg, Saw you should just drop medicine and do stand-up...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've always thought that being board certified in peds er was a waste of time. There are literally 3-4 places with combined peds/er programs (very few would do 7 yrs of residency to get them separtely) that produce probably 10-20 peds/er docs total, in the nation. Needless to say, 10-20 new peds/er docs are not nearly enough to see every kid that stops by in the ER. That's why the vast, vast majority of ER's have pediatricians who see kids in the ER. I go to one of the 3-4 med schools that produce peds/er docs, and we even have pediatricians who work as peds er docs. If you want to do peds er work, I would recommend just doing the 3 yrs of pediatrics and working in an er after you finish. It will be many, many years if they ever (which I doubt if they will ever) get enough peds er docs to work in all of the ERs. Even with EM, they jump-started that specialty 20-30yrs ago, and they still don't have enough ER docs to man every er, there are still a lot of places with family docs and internists functioning as er docs.
Originally posted by QuinnNSU
To be board certified to Pediatric Emergeny Medicine, you must either:

A) Do an adult EM residency, followed by a Peds EM Fellowship
B) Do a pediatrics residency, followed by a Peds EM Fellowship
C) Do a combined EM/Peds residency.

Choice C is the hardest as there are so few programs. Choice A is the easiest as you lop off a year... (B is one year longer).

Well,

I guess you can do Med-Peds and then work in the ED. It would be ideal since you can see both adults and pediatrics cases. If you look at hospital EM websites, they all say "all the doctors are either board certified in EM or IM" - well, I guess if you do Med-Peds (4 years), I guess you can work in the ED and see pediatric cases.

However, if you want to work in the ED of a children's hospital - I think you need to be certified in ped EM.

No website to reference - just using faulty logic and conjectures :)
Tell me if I am wrong on this issue (nothing wrong w/ being wrong, you just learn more about something)

Group_theory
PCOM 2007
Penn 2003
CHOP Dept. Pediatrics, Div. Neonatology
Stokes Research Institute

MED-PEDS DOCS CAN'T DO TRAUMA. WE HAVE ONE HERE AND THE PA'S DO ALL THE TRAUMA FOR THEM.

Just to add a bit of the southwest to the equation. Here in phoenix all peds go to childrens hospital...if it's a truama it is first stabalized and then shipped to childrens (even from the level one trauma center) and at childrens guess what you find in the er......pediatricians with a er fellowship or er docs with a peds fellowship. Also the residents from our level 1 center rotate through the childrens er for their pediatrics since everything gets shiped there.....

Quinn,

I sent you a PM.

what about Physical medicine and Rehab...that wasn't on the list. Does anyone know the average salary for this specialty??

I wonder what this survey is based on.....