Average Moonlighting Pay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cm7b5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious as to what residents, on average, get paid for moonlighting? I have heard anywhere from 40-100 dollars per hour? Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard varying reports ranging from $400-1000/night net (i.e. in pocket). Sounds nice to me... one night of work and I can buy that Tag I've wanted for so long lol...

Is moonlighting generally done within one's specialty? Or are people able to "cross over" - for ex - an EM resident moonlighting in IM?. How can residents have enough time to moonlight anyhow? Wouldn't programs generally frown on this? I'm :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I've moonlighted a couple of times covering ICU call when there are not enough residents on the service to cover the call schedule. It pays $40-60/hr (canadian). It's good money if you have a quiet night of call and can sleep (unusual). The shifts are in high demand as all the residents need the money, so you can usually only get 1 shift/month.

So, is it possible to moonlight in the same program or institution, or it must be in an institution other than yours?
Thanks

It is frowned upon by some places, but others allow it either within their institution or some satellite clinic affiliated with the institution. For example, when I was researching programs prior to the application process (checking FRIEDA and the program's website), I made sure to find out if moonlighting was permissible. During the interviews, I asked the residents if it was allowed and where they went to do these moonlighting shifts. It certainly helps knock down some of the debt, in fact, at one program, one resident said she had almost finished paying off her school loan!

Some residents covered shifts within their own hospital, others (at other programs) did it at a satellite clinic affiliated with their hospital (their attending staff may have positions there). When I interviewed in NYC (not Manhattan) the residents I met with said that they were going to Long Island, Connecticut, and other NY counties north and west of the city, they nentioned it being very difficult to get shifts unless you went to these places.

As for time to do the shifts: days off, holidays, vacation days. Sorry for the long post. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Let's not forget nursing home call. I have a friend who is a 3rd year internal medicine resident and he moonlights in a local nursing home. He calls it sleeping for dollars. It's quiet most of the time unless there is a code. :) He says he gets 5-6 hours of sleep in a 6pm-6AM shift, although those hours are not necessarily continuous. He says he gets about $600 per call, so that's about $50/hr.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by JGDLB:
•So, is it possible to moonlight in the same program or institution, or it must be in an institution other than yours?
Thanks•••••It depends on your stage in training, whether there is a moonlighting "group" (sort of like an I.P.A. for moonlighters in a region), whether the hospital system is a competing system, or whether you're performing within your specialty.

Many residency programs frown upon moonlighting and some specifically prohibit it. Fellows seem to have a little more freedome, especially the ones not getting any salary during their fellowship.

There are plenty of cross-over opportunities. The last plastics fellow I worked with moonlighted as an "intern" and as a SICU resident.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Cuts:
•I've heard varying reports ranging from $400-1000/night net (i.e. in pocket). Sounds nice to me... one night of work and I can buy that Tag I've wanted for so long lol...•••••Ugh...start getting out your 1099 forms and quarterly filing.

I said this in another thread, but, the residents in IM here say that there's 60 bucks an hour to be had in Nursing Homes or in a county jail.

Pretty good, if you ask me.