average COMPLEX I score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2LT DO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the average COMPLEX I scores for DOs who match Ortho?

Members don't see this ad.

Drop the P.

I was told at St. Vincents in Toledo that they consider applicants with 90% on the boards but that an audition rotation was going to be the final deciding factor. Then, once accepted, the pyramidal weed out scheme must be overcome. I understand this is prevalent at many osteo ortho residencies.

Its going to vary from program to program. Programs like Mount Clemens, Botsford, St John Oakland, and Grandview are like to see high board scores compared to some other programs. You're board scores are only one piece of the puzzle to getting a spot. Most programs take the people they know and who they feel fit into their program. This means that in order to get a spot you have to rotate there and completely kick ass, which means be the first one there and last to leave, you are on call every night and work every weekend. Not only do have to work 110+ hours but you have to continue to be a likable person which isn't easy to do if you're fatigued. My point is that a program would rather take someone who has mediocre boards, works his ass off, never complains, and is easy to get along with, then take someone who scored 99% on their boards and is a complete know-it-all jackass. So even if you didn't hit 90% or higher you still have as good of a chance as anyone, but I would recommend that you rotate at a program that places less emphasis on boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are residency programs pretty good about answering questions that you may have before choosing to roate there?...i.e. how many studenets usually rotate, apply, how many do you interview, rank, etc...Also, who is best to ask these questions...chief resident, PD, etc? I just know that you have to be selective w/ where you choose to rotate so that you don't end up burning a rotation.

PsychoSomatic said:
Are residency programs pretty good about answering questions that you may have before choosing to roate there?...i.e. how many studenets usually rotate, apply, how many do you interview, rank, etc...Also, who is best to ask these questions...chief resident, PD, etc? I just know that you have to be selective w/ where you choose to rotate so that you don't end up burning a rotation.

The best people to ask are students who were recently accepted and the junior residents and interns b/c they have been through the process recently and they know what the current thinking of the attendings are. I would be cautious about asking an attending or PD about what they are looking for. They may ignore you or give you the run around b/c they are approached by many "wannabe" orthopods.

VentdependenT said:
Drop the P.

I was told at St. Vincents in Toledo that they consider applicants with 90% on the boards but that an audition rotation was going to be the final deciding factor. Then, once accepted, the pyramidal weed out scheme must be overcome. I understand this is prevalent at many osteo ortho residencies.

Just to clarify, there is no pyramid at St. Vs. Right now there are 3 interns for the 3 residency spots. All of them are quite comfortable. The only 'weeding out' is if you are a slacker during internship. If you do what's expected you will keep your spot even though it is not linked. The info about board scores and audition rotations is accurate.