Australia vs Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

America1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im an american with prospects in both countries. What are some pros and cons of each place and the ability to get back home when Im done.

Members don't see this ad.

Im an american with prospects in both countries. What are some pros and cons of each place and the ability to get back home when Im done.

Aus

Better weather
Better looking people
Better lifestyle
Longer flights home
Not as established a path to return home, but probably no worse than for Irish grads
Better rugby squad

Ireland

Better guinness
Better proximity to Europe (travel, culture etc.)
Shorter flights home
Generally a well-regarded degree worldwide, though it would be folly to say an Aus degree is less/more well reputed; I think the point is there are more Irish grads worldwide. I imagine all would agree the education itself is equivalent.
Better soccer team

Aus

Better weather
Better looking people
Better lifestyle
Longer flights home
Not as established a path to return home, but probably no worse than for Irish grads
Better rugby squad

Ireland

Better guinness
Shorter flights home
Generally a well-regarded degree worldwide, though it would be folly to say an Aus degree is less/more well reputed; I think the point is there are more Irish grads worldwide. I imagine all would agree the education itself is equivalent.
Better soccer team

That was great! I'm struggling with the comparison too. I'm a canadian apllicant so both of these countries seem pretty exciting. But then there's the decision for which schools to apply for. Decisions, Decisions!!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
when I applied, I applied to both Oz and Ireland. My situation is different cuz the only place I would have applied to is Univ. of Melbourne, and I decided against it because their fast track program was completely brand new and everytime I asked a question they didn't seem very organized about answering it. So I didn't want to be in a guinea pig class for them. But they should have some experience by now.

I think med school takes slightly longer in Oz, because their "backwards" seasons means you may not finish college in time for the Match, and it's a longer course. I'm not certain about this though, I remember trying to match it up when I was applying and got confused. You will probably find a better timeline in the Oz forum.

Aus

Better weather
Better looking people
Better lifestyle
Longer flights home
Better rugby squad

Ireland

Better guinness
Shorter flights home
Better soccer team

I think TC forgot to mention that things in Europe can be more expensive overall. I trained and worked for a few years in Ireland and worked in OBGYN in Brisbane, Australia as well - TC has a load of that spot on!

If I were to add my bit: More Irish grads in the US/Canada than Australian grads so more departments and staff have been exposed to them and know the quality of graduate coming from Ireland - especially in the northeast of the US (Irish areas). Australian medicine seems to be a hybrid of Canadian/UK medicine - respectively more friendly interaction between staff with residents and students, more advanced/proactive/technology-based medicine in Australia compared to the UK, and the positions are organized like the UK (in general: intern, RMO/SHO, registrar, consultant).

I do believe that my experience in either Ireland or Australia (let alone both countries) has helped my out tremendously in making the transition to practicing medicine now back in Canada as a resident soooooo much easier!!!

Hope that helps.

PC

I think TC forgot to mention that things in Europe can be more expensive overall. I trained and worked for a few years in Ireland and worked in OBGYN in Brisbane, Australia as well - TC has a load of that spot on!

If I were to add my bit: More Irish grads in the US/Canada than Australian grads so more departments and staff have been exposed to them and know the quality of graduate coming from Ireland - especially in the northeast of the US (Irish areas). Australian medicine seems to be a hybrid of Canadian/UK medicine - respectively more friendly interaction between staff with residents and students, more advanced/proactive/technology-based medicine in Australia compared to the UK, and the positions are organized like the UK (in general: intern, RMO/SHO, registrar, consultant).

I do believe that my experience in either Ireland or Australia (let alone both countries) has helped my out tremendously in making the transition to practicing medicine now back in Canada as a resident soooooo much easier!!!

Hope that helps.

PC

I think PE is right on. For me, I also chose the Irish route, but looking back, I'm not sure I wouldn't have put a little more thought into choosing Aus because of the lifestyle issues which for me translates as cost of living. I mean, I lived in rented digs with a DART pass for 5 years. My mates in Oz lived in a high rise with balcony overlooking water for a fraction of the cost, and had their own cars.

It is a nice fraternity, though, when you come across an Irish consultant in NA hospitals as the barriers of heirarchy come crashing down in a hurry when you discuss your favourite watering hole in Dublin to watch the Six nations.

I suspect it is one of those decisions in life where no matter which of the options you choose it will be what you make it and most people who go abroad are of the mindset that they easily meet new people and tackle new experiences with good attitudes such that they will always feel as if they made the "right" decision in retrospect.

RP

I suspect it is one of those decisions in life where no matter which of the options you choose it will be what you make it and most people who go abroad are of the mindset that they easily meet new people and tackle new experiences with good attitudes such that they will always feel as if they made the "right" decision in retrospect.

RP

Wow...you guys are amazing and it's awesome to have your insights on issues like this. I totally agree with TC's comment above: I'm just looking forward to getting started somewhere and I'll make the best of it from there. But it's still hard to decide which schools to apply for :oops:

I agree with most of the above, with the addition of that more of the schools in Australia are graduate entry, which translates that more of the classmates are in the age range of already having an initial degree.

There was one guy in the UCD class of 2003 who transferred from UCD to Aus (Flinders?) and said he liked it better there, partly because of more folks his age range.

There was one guy from Aus and 5 from Ireland in the GP residency in Canada that was finished, and all completed the program fine.

Top three differences I'd say are:
(1) Cost of living: Cheaper in most of Aus, especially places like Adelaide.
(2) Classmates mean age: Younger in Ireland.
(3) School year in Aus is flipped making less of a smooth fit to starting residency, meaning doing nothing for a few months before residency starts.

WTF. How can you even ask that? Ireland is close to everything and is economically booming like no other...Australia is a gigantonormous Brit prison colony!:laugh:

I call "troll" on such a question..

? to the above. I don't know about economically booming (celtic tiger height was a few years ago) but booming or not, prices are certainly quite high. And booming or not, Australia is very tempting to dream about - gorgeous beach and surf, warm weather always (in the north), gorgeous people and although not close to everything, is close to some very nice places (ie New Zealand and some of the asian places like Fiji)

? to the above. I don't know about economically booming (celtic tiger height was a few years ago) but booming or not, prices are certainly quite high. And booming or not, Australia is very tempting to dream about - gorgeous beach and surf, warm weather always (in the north), gorgeous people and although not close to everything, is close to some very nice places (ie New Zealand and some of the asian places like Fiji)

Yes but there are seriously hot Irish chicks who DONT have melanoma and other skin cancers..imagine settling in a place where 1 out of 5 white people arent killed by overexposure to solar radiation! If God intended the Irish to live in the Pacific he wouldnt have given them such a strong fear of sharks.

Is the age thing really that bad?? Should I expect to be in class with a bunch of 19-20 yr olds entering my first yr or is there somewhat of a mix?

Well, the North Americans (up to around 20) will be your age or older. And it's not so bad. Eighteen-yr. olds here are somewhat more mature than 18 yr. olds in NA, and although still living at home, are somewhat more self-reliant and street smart. It's actually refreshing having them around when you first start lectures, and likewise for them, they like to know your experiences. There are some of them that even act older than I do, even though I'm a few years older! (When people start talking about mortgages and stuff, I run.)

Well, the North Americans (up to around 20) will be your age or older. And it's not so bad. Eighteen-yr. olds here are somewhat more mature than 18 yr. olds in NA, and although still living at home, are somewhat more self-reliant and street smart. It's actually refreshing having them around when you first start lectures, and likewise for them, they like to know your experiences. There are some of them that even act older than I do, even though I'm a few years older! (When people start talking about mortgages and stuff, I run.)

Awh leorl! That's so nice that you think that! I wondered when I was only 17 for my entire first year would the North Americans, who were largely the oldest cohort of my class, think that I was really immature. That's so nice that you think us Irish young-uns are cool. :)

I'll be 23 when I start, but I've been told that I have a 40 year old trapped inside of me. Hopefully I won't be too square to "get down" with the little ones.

Awh leorl! That's so nice that you think that! I wondered when I was only 17 for my entire first year would the North Americans, who were largely the oldest cohort of my class, think that I was really immature. That's so nice that you think us Irish young-uns are cool. :)

Hee hee ! I have to say, I'm more friends with the older Irish (the ones who were direct entrants like me), but that's just by chance since we happened to work together more. I don't hang out too much with the youger Irish meds in my class but that's also by chance since I'm really busy, but when we do get to chat and those odd occasions when we do get to go out, they're great, I really like most of them and they're a lot of fun. You don't notice age, we all meld into the same age range anyway. Only a couple of them seem really young and immature but that's just a personality thing, not a younger Irish thing. I don't hang out with that many meds, but many of my Irish rowing mates (a few of them are medics too) are all younger than me . We do have a very close class though (well, it was closer before last year anyway) and actually the only couple of people I have had major disagreements with are a couple of the international students (who I think came here through Atlantic Bridge but I don't really count them as NAers).

I'll be 23 when I start, but I've been told that I have a 40 year old trapped inside of me. Hopefully I won't be too square to "get down" with the little ones.

Haha, ah you'll be grand. Like leorl said, the age rrange kinda melds cos there's people of every age in the class. I was the youngest in my class, in 1st med, I was the only person using my older brother's id when we went out!

Aus

Better weather
Better looking people
Better lifestyle
Longer flights home
Better rugby squad

Ireland

Better guinness
Shorter flights home
Better soccer team

Better soccer team my arse. 5-2 against cyprus , thats not even with the turkish half imagine if we played the whole island!!!!!