August 2017 MCAT for 2019-2020 application cycle: which schools would take my score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Does anyone have the lowdown or a quick summary of which schools would and would not accept my scores? I actually very much want to retake but I scored a 515 and was strongly previously advised not to retake by several people.

Members don't see this ad.

Do an SMP and then apply MD. Don't retake the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
ugh, not everyone in this forum can afford an SMP. I'm paying $7k for a 1-year MS in Biochemistry as opposed to $22-50k for an SMP catered to rich students.

also, as a low-income student, I would feel less socially excluded at a DO school. DO schools have a higher proportion of lower-income students. Also, in my experience and my friends' experiences, DO physicians are more compassionate and have better bedside manner towards disadvantaged, lower-income or LGBT populations than MD physicians. I'm not interested in MD schools currently.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
also, when you say "don't retake the MCAT" -- is that because of the risk of not getting a 515 on the second try, or because a retake looks bad? I am aiming for a 518+ on my retake. I took the MCAT after only seriously studying for one week and I took it sleep-deprived after spending all previous night in the ER. I feel like if I actually studied as opposed to winging it I would actually get a higher score.

Last edited:
also, when you say "don't retake the MCAT" -- is that because of the risk of not getting a 515 on the second try, or because a retake looks bad? I am aiming for a 518+ on my retake. I took the MCAT after only seriously studying for one week and I took it sleep-deprived after spending all previous night in the ER. I feel like if I actually studied as opposed to winging it I would actually get a higher score.
I replied to you elsewhere, but if you're shooting for DO, 515 is excellent. Retaking a score like that without expiration can show poor judgement. I got into DO school with a similar GPA as yours and the same MCAT. Applying next year gives you 3 years before matriculation, your MCAT won't expire at just about any school

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! Which schools would it expire for, for the 2020-2021 cycle? Would it be most schools?

I want to tutor the MCAT as opposed to merely organic chemistry, and the top 5 competing tutors in my area (Queens) range from 520-526, and I'm trying to break into the top 5. That's my primary reason for retaking (in addition to "refreshing" my score for future years) -- I would be able to pay my tuition more easily if I had a higher score. I know 95% of this forum doesn't worry about finances when it comes to paying for school and treat $40k SMPs like a drop in the ocean, but I am actually trying to logistically figure out how I am going to balance school and work this year. (Mental energy wise -- I am undaunted. Bring it on.)

Thanks! Which schools would it expire for, for the 2020-2021 cycle? Would it be most schools?

Each school will be different, but generally its between 2-3 years prior to matriculation. Texas schools excluding Baylor and Incarnate Word will be 5 years. Google AACOMAS CIB (free PDF), it'll give you a break down of every DO school and some will give you concrete dates for the oldest MCAT accepted, others will say something along the lines of "three years prior to matriculation". Also see about investing in the MSAR (~$29/year) for MD schools, they too will have oldest MCAT accepted. The MSAR is a must buy, it will for sure pay for itself. AAMC releases a new version around April each year.

Does anyone have the lowdown or a quick summary of which schools would and would not accept my scores? I actually very much want to retake but I scored a 515 and was strongly previously advised not to retake by several people.
In my opinion, it is an unnessesary expense and waste of time for you to retake. Focus more on clinical experience and volunteer work instead. Your averages are well above ALL DO school averages so you should be okay! Even for MD school that is a great score. Both of my friends with 515s got in on their first cycle. BUT, do what makes you feel comfortable. If that means retaking then go for it, but if it is just because you want applicant security, you SHOULD BE fine.

Congrats on your good score and good luck in the cycle!

Knowledge decay is a real thing, and most people who retake either go down in score, stay the same, or only go up a point or so.

DO physicians are more compassionate and have better bedside manner towards disadvantaged, lower-income or LGBT populations than MD physicians.

I love my DO colleagues, but please, statements like yours are really insulting to our MD colleagues.

If you personally had a better experience with DOs vs MDs (which has happened with a number of my students who have MD caliber stats), then simply say so.

Knowledge decay is a real thing, and most people who retake either go down in score, stay the same, or only go up a point or so.

While I currently don't have the stats to tutor the MCAT, I tutor the subjects that are on the MCAT ... I teach them semester after semester, year after year. Every semester I have to teach people how to derive the Michaelis-Menten equation on an exam, or the organic chemistry logic behind the citric acid cycle and the Calvin cycle. The amount of studying I did for the MCAT was like ... 30 hours. Format only. Which I thought was reasonable, until I headed over to the MCAT forum and was shocked to discover people literally spend entire of their months their lives locked away dedicated just to the test.

I love my DO colleagues, but please, statements like yours are really insulting to our MD colleagues.

If you personally had a better experience with DOs vs MDs (which has happened with a number of my students who have MD caliber stats), then simply say so.

No, it's not just my personal experience, but the personal experience of me and almost a dozen members of my communities. I think it's reasonable, drawing on the experiences of my peers (N=12) that statistically, MD physicians are less likely to be compassionate to members of the marginalized communities I belong to w/respect to DO physicians. That is my current assertion. Have you ever systematically interviewed the LGBT community? The LGBT community is way less resentful and suspicious of DOs than MDs and that's a probable fact. To substantiate my assertion, I am willing to systematically poll my community. Would a snowball sample be acceptable?

Last edited:
While I currently don't have the stats to tutor the MCAT, I tutor the subjects that are on the MCAT ... I teach them semester after semester, year after year. Every semester I have to teach people how to derive the Michaelis-Menten equation on an exam, or the organic chemistry logic behind the citric acid cycle and the Calvin cycle. The amount of studying I did for the MCAT was like ... 30 hours. Format only.

No, it's not just my personal experience, but the personal experience of me and almost a dozen members of my communities. I think it's reasonable, drawing on the experiences of my peers (N=12) that statistically, MD physicians are less likely to be compassionate to members of the marginalized communities I belong to w/respect to DO physicians. That is my current assertion. Have you ever interviewed the LGBT community? The LGBT community is way less resentful and suspicious of DOs than MDs and that's a fact. Maybe if MD physicians didn't want to feel so insulted, they should learn to treat these communities better.

I would have to disagree. Although I am only applying to DO school, I have dozens of MD only friends who are the most compassionate people I know. One of them works with an AIDS/HIV clinic in my hometown, and another works with disadvantaged youth from bordertowns.

Although DOs have excellent bedside manner (generally), there has been a huge shift in MD education within the last 10 to 20 years that promotes similar ideals that DO schools promote.

It does happen that many of the physicians who treat my community are above the age of 40, as opposed to in residency or fresh out of residency. Among the older generation of physicians (born before 1980), MD physicians are less compassionate than DO physicians. I won't assert this for physicians who are born after 1980.