Auditioning at programs with low number of DOs residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

butidontwantto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to figure out my strategy for audition rotations (yuck). I have heard from a few residents/attendings that DO students will get accepted for the audition when the program was very unlikely to take a DO candidate seriously. If the program %DO numbers are low, would it be better to try to audition there to get my foot in the door, or is that an indicator that they're unlikely to consider me even with the audition? What have your experiences have been regarding programs giving you an audition rotation when they were never going to give you a real shot to match there? Please include the specialty you were auditioning for, could see that being a factor. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

They probably wouldn’t consider seriously so it’s better to go somewhere with more DO graduates on the roster

Reactions: 1 users
If low number of DOs, doing and killing the rotation is prob one of the few ways to even get on the radar for the program as a DO. If it’s your dream program, give it a shot, esp if early bc you can still get strong letters. If not, consider more DO friendly programs

Reactions: 5 users
Few is better than none. I think some of it comes down to how many sub-Is you intend to do and how valuable that specific program is to you. I've had classmates in surgical specialties that are DOs get denied before they even got to their interview but then again there's always that one friend who gets picked up because they really killed it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure to look at the alumni list to see if there are former DO residents in the program

Trying to figure out my strategy for audition rotations (yuck). I have heard from a few residents/attendings that DO students will get accepted for the audition when the program was very unlikely to take a DO candidate seriously. If the program %DO numbers are low, would it be better to try to audition there to get my foot in the door, or is that an indicator that they're unlikely to consider me even with the audition? What have your experiences have been regarding programs giving you an audition rotation when they were never going to give you a real shot to match there? Please include the specialty you were auditioning for, could see that being a factor. Thank you!

Big difference between zero DOs (ever) at a place that matches near-exclusively top tier USMD students and programs with just a "low percent DO." The latter are worthwhile to rotate through if you're otherwise competitive, perform decently in the clinical setting, and are likeable.

Reactions: 2 users
Absolutely do the rotation if you want to go there.

Keep in mind many programs interview DOs even though they might not have any on their roster. The DOs that rotated there maybe didn't rank them high enough (or vice versa) & didn't end up there. Additionally, you could always be the first.

Anecdotally (n=1), I have a friend from med school who was the first DO to match neurosurgery at a program that had never taken a DO before. They were obviously a great applicant & had a great personality, but they also spent time at this place.

Depends on how many you do. Following a dream program, target, target strategy seems reasonable. Only doing a sub-I at a dream program or far reach might not be the best idea.

The DO students who excelled on their away rotation at my program definitely get noticed and can work their way higher up the match list. Of course students who look great on paper can also work their way down the rank list with a bad away rotation. Either way, it’s a way to stand out from the giant pile of applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
This is off topic, but since we're talking about aways I'm curious if I could get some input? I was offered an away rotation in July at my top program or a sub internship in November at the same institution. I chose the rotation in July to increase my chance of a LOR/getting to know faculty. Should I have chose the sub internship?

This is off topic, but since we're talking about aways I'm curious if I could get some input? I was offered an away rotation in July at my top program or a sub internship in November at the same institution. I chose the rotation in July to increase my chance of a LOR/getting to know faculty. Should I have chose the sub internship?
What specialty?

Every 'DO friendly' program was at one point not DO friendly until one brave soul made them that way...

Reactions: 6 users
Every 'DO friendly' program was at one point not DO friendly until one brave soul made them that way...

Making your rank list is one thing. Being realistic about your target/reach/safe programs is smart for signaling/sub-Is and figuring out how many apps to send out.

Reactions: 1 user