Audiology questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JuicePack

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This forum isn’t very active, so I thought I’d make a thread asking annoying questions lol. I’m going into my 3rd year of university, and I’m just trying to figure out what I’m going to do after I graduate. The dream was always to go to medical school, don’t get me wrong, becoming an audiologist isn’t really a backup plan, it’s just another plan. What made me interested in medicine was the combination of science and helping patients. It seems like audiology also offers this. I don’t know very much about audiology, but from what I’ve read lately, it definitely sounds like a job I would like.

I’m really just writing this clear a few things up. I have a few questions, so if someone could answer a few of these, that would be great.

How does audiology compare to medicine? I really don’t care about money, but it’s definitely worth asking about. I hear Canadian audiologists make about $60000/year, is this about right? Is there a way to advance and make more money?

How is the lifestyle of an audiologist? From what I’ve gathered there are pretty regular hours.

Does it get boring and repetitive?

How would I go about shadowing an audiologist or volunteering somewhere I could get a feel for audiology?

How competitive is it to get into an audiology program? (I live in Canada)

Is there any difference between Canadian and US audiologists? Can a Canadian audiologist practice in the US?

What would help improve my application? I’ve been thinking about taking an ASL course for a while now, even before I was interested in audiology. Would this help my application, or would it be too unrelated?

Anything else you want to add would be great too! Thanks a lot :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How does audiology compare to medicine? I really don’t care about money, but it’s definitely worth asking about. I hear Canadian audiologists make about $60000/year, is this about right? Is there a way to advance and make more money?

How is the lifestyle of an audiologist? From what I’ve gathered there are pretty regular hours.

Does it get boring and repetitive?

How would I go about shadowing an audiologist or volunteering somewhere I could get a feel for audiology?

How competitive is it to get into an audiology program? (I live in Canada)

Is there any difference between Canadian and US audiologists? Can a Canadian audiologist practice in the US?

What would help improve my application? I’ve been thinking about taking an ASL course for a while now, even before I was interested in audiology. Would this help my application, or would it be too unrelated?

Anything else you want to add would be great too! Thanks a lot :)

Medicine is medicine and audiology is audiology. If you're thinking that going into audiology will allow you to practice audiological medicine (a western European medical specialty), then that is not the case. In some ways audiology is more similar to speech pathology, physical therapy, and psychology in terms of service delivery. Also, I don't know what the Canadian-American exchange rate is but the average U.S. salary is probably between 50 and 55 k so I think 60 k in Canada is probably right. In order to advance and make more money there are a few options. Keep in mind that I am speaking from a U.S. frame of reference. Private practice, if done right, can be very lucrative; however, I personally would probably not choose it because I doubt that I would be very business saavy. As a university professor (PhD not AuD or masters), promotions can be gained by moving up the ranks (asst. prof to associate prof to full prof, etc). In the U.S., one of the best-paying jobs for a staff audiologist is working for the Veteran's Administration hospitals. In order to shadow, I would just call and ask and go from there. From what I've heard, audiology programs are more competitive in Canada than the U.S. However, when comparing medical school admissions to audiology program admissions, the former is no doubt far more competitive. Candian and U.S. audiology licensures are generally reciprocal and practicing in both countries is relatively easy after graduating. One caveat to that is that I'm assuming you would be getting a masters in Canada because they have not converted to an AuD. States here in the U.S. are starting to pass laws requiring doctoral preparation (but not necessarily an AuD). If you end up getting a PhD in Canada, I don't believe you will have a problem getting licensure in these states but I am not familiar with all of these new licensure law revisions in each state. Go ahead and take the ASL course. I think the main place audiologists would use sign is within the school setting but also within children's hospitals. It is not unrelated; I had to take a sign course for my speech and hearing undergrad. I doubt that course will make or break your application though. Since you mentioned medicine earlier, I'm assuming that your a pre-med major. That would definitely boost your application if you did reasonably well. It seems that in the U.S., speech path and aud majors tend to have an abversion for the "hard sciences". Background in physics and biology can sure add to the understanding of the physics and physiology of speech and hearing, respectively. Good luck!

Actually, I'm in private practice (adult diagnostics and hearing aids) in a large metro area and I use ASL more frequently than you would think- almost weekly. I wish I had taken more courses in it.

Lifestyle in general is pretty good. It can be quite flexible, which is great if you have a family.

There are many different specialties which in my opinion can keep it from getting repetitive and boring (i.e. hearing aids, cochlear implants, vestibular, intra-operative monitoring etc.). There are many different places you can work that can keep it interesting and since the ever-changing technology is at the crux of it all- it keeps you on your toes.

I highly recommend shadowing an audiologist. I did this one summer with an SLP and Aud. and it gave me a really good insight into the field. You might just check with a local clinic or university to see if you can volunteer or shadow someone. Volunteer work looks good on any graduate school application!

Hope this helps.

Wow! These have been some very interesting posts!!! Several of the statements and opinions posted in this tread are very different from what I have seen in the profession of audiology, and what I have heard about how this profession is changing. I am very new to this field and my experiences are limited, so I’m very surprised by the things I read on this forum. I cannot say what info is right or wrong, but I have been discussing these posts with my professors who have been in this field for many years. The best suggestion I have for a person interested in Clinical Audiology (AuD)is to visit the websites and talk to Audiologists who are active members in AAA (American Academy of Audiology, www.audiology.org ) and/or ADA (Academy Doctors of Audiology, www.audiologist.org) to get a better idea of what the “ New Era” of Audiology is like. Audiology is a Doctoring Profession! To read more about the changes in Clinical Audiology, please read the following info from AFA (Audiology Foundation of America) http://www.audfound.org/index.cfm?pageID=131 :)

Audiology is a profession like other allied health fields. The amount of information keeps increasing, thereby increasing the need for education. Before long, most if not all allied health fields will have doctoral degrees as entry-level. Audiology, optometry, pharmacy, and physical therapy are leading the way for the rest.

It seems that in the U.S., speech path and aud majors tend to have an abversion for the "hard sciences". Background in physics and biology can sure add to the understanding of the physics and physiology of speech and hearing, respectively. Good luck!

Chicoborja,

You may be speaking about previous years.

Most AuDs and AuD students I know have science backgrounds. Most recent AuD programs have students with the following educational degrees: Neuroscience, Acoustical engineering, Bio, MicroBio, Phys, Chem, etc., and of course Communication Disorders.

Juice Pack,

I recommend you go into each school's website and look at their curriculum and pre-reqs. Some are getting quite competitive (specially since US News named audiology the #1 profession in America).

I agree it depends on the school you apply to with some schools being more competitive than others. Some schools like Northwestern, Vanderbilt, can have GPA's in the 3.6-3.7 range while others can have them in the 3.2-3.3 area but collectively the students who matriculate to Au.D. programs are good students and able to cope with the difficulty a 4-yr clinical doctorate entails. :thumbup:

I agree with this. More prestigious speech-path programs are beginning to require upper-level bio, chem, and physics courses as well. I think it's a good idea, especially with the genetic component of many diseases and syndromes affecting speech and hearing.

With the transition to the clinical doctorate, Au.D., pre-requisites need to be beefed up. Meaning they should resemble those of most other health professional doctorates. A pre-med curriculum (which is analagous for pre-optometry, pre-medicine, pre-podiatry, and pre-dentistry) should be the requirement for pre-audiology. Here are typical Au.D pre-reqs :
  • English, Composition - 1 year
  • Mathematics - 1 year (Calculus highly recommended - 1/2 year of Calculus fulfills Math requirement.)
  • Statistics - 1/2 year (Math, Biology, Psychology preferred)
  • Basic Sciences - 1 year (e.g., Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
  • Physics or Hearing Science - 1/2 year
  • Social Sciences - 1 year
versus pre-optometry, pre-medicine, pre-dentistry, etc....
  • Biology, General or Zoology (with labs)—1 year​
  • Chemistry, General (with labs)—1 year​
  • Chemistry, Organic (with labs)—1 year or Chemistry Organic—(with lab)—1/2 year and 1/2 year of either.​
  • English, Composition or Literature—1 year​
  • Mathematics—1 year Calculus highly recommended—1/2 year of Calculus fulfills Math requirement​
  • Microbiology or Bacteriology (with lab)—1/2 year​
  • Physics, General (with labs)—1 year​
  • Psychology—1/2 year​
  • Statistics (Math, Biology, or Psychology)—1/2 year​
  • Biochemistry--1/2 year
  • Molecular Genetics--1/2 year (highly recommended)
Many programs are entry level and don't require speech and language pathology courses as a pre-requisite. The more difficult the basic science requirements, the more competitive the application for admission because a higher tier of student will be able to complete the pre-requisites. In the future Au.D.'s are going to have an expanding role (ie. prescribing some medications, medicare direct access, less dependence upon ENT's for diagnosis of medical hearing and balance problems) the evolution of basic requirements for admission are essential. I feel improvements such as these will only strengthen this great field.....

Au.D. rocks!

I definitely agree that a standard pre-med curriculum plus other advanced bio/stats/maths would be great pre-reqs for audiology. Biochem is kind of iffy - audiologists don't use much chemistry to begin with. Gen/Organic chem are useful in knowledge and using thought patterns to get through the class, but functionality is questionable. I think it would be more appropriate to have more physics requirements over general physics. The rest listed rounds out a good base of classes, and I think ALL health professions should have to take these, including SLPs, PTs, OTs, nurses, etc, etc. Just because it's not "medicine" doesn't mean we shouldn't have the same pre-reqs.

I'm not sure about the prescribing rights though. If this happens, the AuD program will have to have some modifications, and audiologists will have a hard time lobbying for it since physicians. I'm not saying I don't support it, just that it will be a hard sell.

I agree, Au.D. programs should increase the amount of basic science pre-reqs and classes within the 4 yr programs. The science foundation is essential to truly understanding pathologies of the auditory and vestibular systems. It also helps clinicians understand why the millions of people with systemic diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease,.autoimmune disease, pulmonary disorders,. etc.. will eventually need our services. When the sciences are incorporated more into the AuD curriculums, I think audiologists will earn the privilege of treating some ear conditions with oral and topical meds. Other 4 yr doctors, such as the O.D.’s, can prescribe meds so it can be done in our profession as well.