Audiology Case Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoCalAud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I thought it would be interesting to share a mix of audiology articles or case reviews on here. I know audiologyonline.com and asha.org are both excellent resources, but I have found a load interesting ones from parents, Deaf or HH patients, professors and audiologists and thought we should share them on here. Maybe discuss them with each other?

Since my heart belongs to Pediatric Audiology, I found this amazing story. Thanks to my mentor, Dan Schwartz, for introducing me to Gav Kelso, the father of this amazing little girl with CIs. Below is the link to her story.

http://www.cosmiccharity.com/download/Story_IonaKelso.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

What a riveting story! Where do the CIs come in? Did they opt for CIs after she fully recovered and felt the HAs didn't cut it? I was a little disappointed at the end, still not knowing the story re: CIs.

I'm not sure if you know this about me, SoCal (I think I mention it in my essay you watched), but I started as an ASL major so I was very Deaf-Culture. It's been quite the journey transitioning from "CIs are evil and no one should ever get them, especially not children!" to "CIs can do a lot of good for a lot of people but it's a personal choice and must be carefully considered." Thankfully, having CIs is not a Deaf-Culture Death Sentence anymore. I'm not sure about urban areas (which are typically more militant in defense of 'True Deaf Culture'), but I know a few people in Idaho who have CIs and are very involved in the Deaf community here.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your topic!

Here's my 'case study'. I thought I had King-Kopetzky until I learned about high-frequency HL vs. low-frequency HL and where all the phonemes are in the English language. Now I can attribute my difficulty to my HL being HF-dominant. I actually have several articles on hand regarding King-Kopetzky if you're at all interested. I could email you the PDFs or citations. :)

http://www.wikidoc.org/index.php/King-Kopetzky_syndrome
Quick summary: KKS is characterized by normal peripheral auditory function but patients report difficulty or significant difficulty with comprehension. Wikipedia says it's like Auditory Processing Disorder but that's untrue. Researchers suspect that there are underlying anomalies in the system causing the issue, like HF HL beyond 8KHz or other small issues which may not appear on a normal audiological evaluation. Sometimes the cause is unknown. The disorder is exacerbated by stress, so not surprisingly when put in a difficult situation, KKS-sufferers fare worse.

Hi,

I thought it would be interesting to share a mix of audiology articles or case reviews on here. I know audiologyonline.com and asha.org are both excellent resources, but I have found a load interesting ones from parents, Deaf or HH patients, professors and audiologists and thought we should share them on here. Maybe discuss them with each other?

Since my heart belongs to Pediatric Audiology, I found this amazing story. Thanks to my mentor, Dan Schwartz, for introducing me to Gav Kelso, the father of this amazing little girl with CIs. Below is the link to her story.

http://www.cosmiccharity.com/download/Story_IonaKelso.pdf