Audiology at Pacific University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

audibob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looks to be a new 3 year Au.D. program. If accredited, their first class will be admitted in fall 2012. More information can be found at the link below.

http://www.pacificu.edu/audiology/

Members don't see this ad.

Looks to be a new 3 year Au.D. program. If accredited, their first class will be admitted in fall 2012. More information can be found at the link below.

http://www.pacificu.edu/audiology/

I've heard of this! It's good news for us Northwest folk since the only program besides Idaho State is the University of Washington :). There are some good clinical opportunities in Oregon.

What happens if a student is enrolled in a program and the program doesn't get accredited? I'm not attuned to the whole accreditation process.

I've heard of this! It's good news for us Northwest folk since the only program besides Idaho State is the University of Washington :). There are some good clinical opportunities in Oregon.

What happens if a student is enrolled in a program and the program doesn't get accredited? I'm not attuned to the whole accreditation process.

HEY! Idaho State's not so bad! :( That's where I did my undergrad. They're working on a PhD program, by the way...

Members don't see this ad :)
HEY! Idaho State's not so bad! :( That's where I did my undergrad. They're working on a PhD program, by the way...

Oh I didn't mean anything by Idaho State! I was just pointing out that it is one of only TWO AuD programs in the Pacific NW and that it's great that there is going to be a third :). Writing online tends to be ambiguous, I'm sorry you were offended, rEliseMe!

Oh I didn't mean anything by Idaho State! I was just pointing out that it is one of only TWO AuD programs in the Pacific NW and that it's great that there is going to be a third :). Writing online tends to be ambiguous, I'm sorry you were offended, rEliseMe!

Oh, it's pretty hard to offend me, spring... But I HAD to jump in and defend my alma mater. ;)

Did I read that their program is only 3 years? How does that work?

Did I read that their program is only 3 years? How does that work?

It is two years of coursework/clinic and a year externship as opposed to three years of coursework/clinic and a year externship. Besides Pacific, Northwestern and Indiana are the only two schools that do a three year program. A three year program is essentially an accelerated program. I wouldn't mind hearing from others out there about the pros/cons of a three year program opposed to a four year program.

Hmmm that sounds like an interesting option. I love the Portland area!! But I'm a little skeptical of a program that hasn't even been accredited yet...

You should be skeptical. I completed my undergrad in Oregon and they started a waiting list of students who were in my program who are applying in 2012. I know a lot of people who were on the waiting list aren't relying on Pacific because of the non-accreditation status as of now. I would look at the other programs first before applying to Pacific University. When it does get accredited though I think it will be a great program and it's in a very nice location:)

Do you think they will get the accreditation? I'm not sure where they are in the process...

Hi guys!

One of my friends is interested in applying to Pacific for their AuD program for next fall. Oregon is such a great place for clinical opportunities :). Does anyone have any more information or any updates in regards to Pacific's new AuD program?

Additionally, are there any more AuD programs in the accreditation process? I was doing some thinking about this and realize how difficult it must be to start one up. I would imagine it's important to have an undergraduate program in the Speech and Hearing Sciences and it would have to be a PhD granting institution with a significant source of funding. There used to be four Audiology programs in my state and today, there is only one (at the state's flagship university). Does anyone know anything about the politics/logistics of starting up an AuD program?

Thanks Karissa! I'm glad to see a new AuD program is able to make it.

No problem! I didn't think they would have any problem starting the AuD program considering the school has a long history of successful accreditation in other programs such as - Pharmacy, PA, PT, etc..Pretty exciting to see a new AuD program in the Northwest! :)

Definitely! I'm in California and I would love to stay on the West Coast. Karissa, where are you for grad school?

Pacific University!

Last edited: