Audiology admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yisel2118

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am very interested In the Doctor of audiology program at Nova South Eatern university, I applied for the program recently for the entering class of 2012 however, my major is in Criminal Justice with a minor in Forensic Science. Until recently my plan was to get into law school but after a full time job experience with an attorney, I decided that It was not for me. I graduated with a 3.3 GPA. :(. Can anyone tell me my chances of getting into NOVA and about their admissions process, I have not heard from them yet, my application is still pending.......

Thank you !!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Its kind of hard to determine your chances because grades are only a part of the decision making process. Someone with a 3.3 may be able to get into the top schools and someone with a 3.3 may not get in anywhere. It depends on the other factors (SOP, recs, relevant experience and GRE). Some of these factors may matter more than others depending on the program.

Thank you ! I am just concern because I don't have a background in Rehab- science.

Members don't see this ad :)
Half my AuD cohort comes from non Speech and Hearing backgrounds. I wouldn't be particularly concerned about your non Speech and Hearing background as most programs prefer diversity of academic (or otherwise) backgrounds in their students. However, you will have to go out of your way to write an excellent SOP that conveys your interest in Audiology and what YOU can bring to the field, clinically, as a result of your own personal insight (academic background, personal experience etc).

Do you have any audiology related experience?

Last edited:
That's totally fine! Most applicants don't from non SPHSC background nor is it a requirement for when you apply. However, like I said, spent a lot of time on your SOP because programs want to know why you are interested in audiology and that you are serious about it as a career choice.

Hello, I am very interested In the Doctor of audiology program at Nova South Eatern university, I applied for the program recently for the entering class of 2012 however, my major is in Criminal Justice with a minor in Forensic Science. Until recently my plan was to get into law school but after a full time job experience with an attorney, I decided that It was not for me. I graduated with a 3.3 GPA. :(. Can anyone tell me my chances of getting into NOVA and about their admissions process, I have not heard from them yet, my application is still pending.......

Thank you !!:)

Hey! We are very similar. I too had plans to attend law school and majored in Political Science. I have a 3.6 gpa. Im taking the Gre monday but ive been scoring between 1200-1300 on the old scale. I applied to UNC UF and USF. Any ideas? i have no experience other than my siblings who suffered from hearing loss. Please help, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'd say, based off of your stats, you stand a decent chance. However, it will take excellent letters of rec and SOP to get you through the door. You have the opportunity to make your SOP really special based on your experiences with your HOH siblings. You probably have an insight most of us don't have and that insight could potentially be very useful to you as an audiologist.

Also, it is my impression that in order to be accepted by UNC, you first have to make it to the interview stage. I think you are either accepted or wait listed thereafter. From what I've heard from my own classmates (two accepted by UNC) and from what I've seen on here, that seems to be the case, but I could be wrong. Regardless, it may be in your best interest to prepare for interviews as well, once Jan/Feb rolls around. I'd say there are about 15 programs that do interviews.

I'd say, based off of your stats, you stand a decent chance. However, it will take excellent letters of rec and SOP to get you through the door. You have the opportunity to make your SOP really special based on your experiences with your HOH siblings. You probably have an insight most of us don't have and that insight could potentially be very useful to you as an audiologist.

Also, it is my impression that in order to be accepted by UNC, you first have to make it to the interview stage. I think you are either accepted or wait listed thereafter. From what I've heard from my own classmates (two accepted by UNC) and from what I've seen on here, that seems to be the case, but I could be wrong. Regardless, it may be in your best interest to prepare for interviews as well, once Jan/Feb rolls around. I'd say there are about 15 programs that do interviews.

Thank you so much spring :) I really need to get in to UNC because i live in NC and due to family reasons i cant relocate.

Let us know how you go yisel2118!! im applying for audiology and my background is pharmacy so fingers crossed they like the diversity!! wishing you all the best!!