AuD/PhD? Pick one or both?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrianaGrace17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I've been considering the idea of doing a combined AuD/PhD program...
I want to involved in both clinical and research areas, so does one recommend picking one of the program or just getting both degrees? What are the benefits of having both?

I'm sure there has been threads about this before, so feel free to refer me to those. Any thoughts would be helpful! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

I've been considering the idea of doing a combined AuD/PhD program...
I want to involved in both clinical and research areas, so does one recommend picking one of the program or just getting both degrees? What are the benefits of having both?

I'm sure there has been threads about this before, so feel free to refer me to those. Any thoughts would be helpful! Thank you!

Hi Briana! I strongly recommend you look at programs that offer the dual AuD/PhD opportunity. At my program, you can apply for the PhD program at the end of your second year in the AuD program. However, the application is usually just a formality. It usually just takes someone who is willing to mentor you. Most students interested in the AuD/PhD have an inkling of who they want to work with when they apply to programs and often start doing research when they start their AuD program. However, they are expected to maintain high grades in the program and have strong GRE scores (1200+) coming in to the program. Those pursuing an AuD/PhD will be held to a higher standard than those pursuing an AuD.

Even if you'd just like to attend a program for an AuD and pursue a PhD later on (like myself), I would still focus in on programs that offer the AuD/PhD because they are more likely to provide a strong research foundation.

If you do an AuD/PhD, you will probably be able to get done with your PhD faster..like two or three years. Additionally, the funding associated with a PhD doesn't start until AFTER you finish the AuD component. However, if accepted for an AuD/PhD, you probably end up being a paid research assistant in the lab of your mentor (depends on program) and stand a greater chance of finding outside sources of funding for the AuD.

Sounds wonderful spring! I've heard a lot of good things about taking that route. But do the schools specifically have to have a dual program, or can you just couple the degrees together somehow if the school offers both?
And could you recommend any schools with dual programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds wonderful spring! I've heard a lot of good things about taking that route. But do the schools specifically have to have a dual program, or can you just couple the degrees together somehow if the school offers both?
And could you recommend any schools with dual programs?

You definitely want to seek out a program that offers the AuD/PhD and not an AuD and a PhD unless you decide to get a PhD later on. A lot of programs that have the AuD/PhD have a specific structure as to how both degrees are obtained. It would be a both more time and cost efficient in my opinion! :)

The Universities of Iowa and Washington have particularly strong AuD/PhD programs. The University of Kansas, Northwestern, USF and ASU also have AuD/PhD as well. This is off the top of my head so there are probably more out there. I would check out ASHA's EdFind or email any faculty member/program you are interested in and ask them if they have a established AuD/PhD track for their program.

You definitely want to seek out a program that offers the AuD/PhD and not an AuD and a PhD unless you decide to get a PhD later on. A lot of programs that have the AuD/PhD have a specific structure as to how both degrees are obtained. It would be a both more time and cost efficient in my opinion! :)

The Universities of Iowa and Washington have particularly strong AuD/PhD programs. The University of Kansas, Northwestern, USF and ASU also have AuD/PhD as well. This is off the top of my head so there are probably more out there. I would check out ASHA's EdFind or email any faculty member/program you are interested in and ask them if they have a established AuD/PhD track for their program.

U of AZ also has a very strong AuD/PhD program and the clinical program is heavy on research as well. I would strongly look at schools with mentors that do research in your field of interest. For example, if you are interested in Cochlear Implants you want to make sure that the AuD/PhD school that you are applying to has a faculty member ACTIVELY doing CI research. I am going to pursue either a MS or a PhD later but mine will not be in audiology so for me it wasnt imperative that I go to a school that has research in my field, however, I think I should have looked a bit more into which school I chose because if I think I would have liked doing research more in my AuD program had it been of more interest to me.

At UA you apply to the AuD program first, so focus on getting that in order to begin with. Then at the end of your second year you apply for the PhD with the help of your mentor. As Spring said it is mostly a formality but all the paper work has to be in order in any case. Also something, pretty sure it is like this everywhere, but at least at UA, you forfeit your externship, so you do not do that full clinical year. However, there are ways to work with this as well as long as you talk to your program about it. I know someone at UA who is doing there AuD/PhD and she is doing a 3 month long intership at the VA in Tucson this summer so she can really focus in on her clinical work. Just make sure the program is a good fit. Go visit the school, talk to the mentors you are interested in working with, make sure it fits.

Thank you both for your wonderful advice! It seems like doing both is heavily supported.

I'm also really interested in PACS at WUSTL, and I know they're heavy on research. They have the Research Training Program for AuD students, which sounds incredible, but does anyone know if they can work out some type of AuD/PhD?

Thank you both for your wonderful advice! It seems like doing both is heavily supported.

I'm also really interested in PACS at WUSTL, and I know they're heavy on research. They have the Research Training Program for AuD students, which sounds incredible, but does anyone know if they can work out some type of AuD/PhD?

If the program you're interested in does not specifically state that it offers an AuD/PhD combined program, you should contact a faculty member (perhaps the department administrator) directly to discuss the possibility of tailoring a program. Some schools will, others won't. Your best bet is to go to a school that does offer it or can promise some sort of compromise, or you could decide to get your AuD and practice for a while before continuing on. A PhD is mainly beneficial for research purposes, although you do not have to have a PhD to do research or teach.

The take-home point is that you should contact programs in which you are interested in order to 1) find accurate, up-to-date information about what they can offer, and 2) build a rapport, in case you decide to apply. We can posit all day, here, but what really matters is what each program says and does!

do yourself a favor and go somewhere with a combined program. you will save yourself time, money, and headaches. gallaudet has a combined aud/phd and even though it's supposed to take 6 years total it takes more for most students. it seems like a lot but not in comparison. for some phd programs, you're looking at starting all over meaning another 5 years on top of your aud. we are not going to be md/phd's making bank when we're done. just something to consider. this is just my opinion.

Also something, pretty sure it is like this everywhere, but at least at UA, you forfeit your externship, so you do not do that full clinical year. However, there are ways to work with this as well as long as you talk to your program about it. I know someone at UA who is doing there AuD/PhD and she is doing a 3 month long intership at the VA in Tucson this summer so she can really focus in on her clinical work.

do they get enough hours to get state licensure or ASHA or ABA certification? i'm just curious how that work. do they continue to do internships during their phd time?

at gallaudet there is an aud/phd program but they're really kind of separate. you apply for the phd program in the fall of your 4th year, just like anybody else would. but if you know you're interested you could try to get a couple classses out of the way early, if you're mega-efficient with your time because i don't see how it would be humanly possible to add a single thing to the aud curriculum. the other advantage is knowing the faculty and their interests, and possibly writing a thesis that you could develop more easily into a dissertation.

If the program you're interested in does not specifically state that it offers an AuD/PhD combined program, you should contact a faculty member (perhaps the department administrator) directly to discuss the possibility of tailoring a program. Some schools will, others won't. Your best bet is to go to a school that does offer it or can promise some sort of compromise, or you could decide to get your AuD and practice for a while before continuing on. A PhD is mainly beneficial for research purposes, although you do not have to have a PhD to do research or teach.

I think this is interesting! The main reason why I'm considering earning both degrees in the first place is because I want to be involved in the medical side of things as well as conduct research and be involved in that world. If an AuD can do that, why earn a PhD?

Can anyone explain how this works?

I think this is interesting! The main reason why I'm considering earning both degrees in the first place is because I want to be involved in the medical side of things as well as conduct research and be involved in that world. If an AuD can do that, why earn a PhD?

A PhD provides extra training (AuDs CAN research, but would they know what to do?) and added clout when grant review season rolls around.

Check out this link from big bad ASHA.http://www.asha.org/students/academic/doctoral/faq-pursuing-phd.htm

Last edited:

Also, PhD-only students typically don't enjoy working with clinical audiology and that degree allows them to study the ins and outs of science-based audiology (not people-based).

Hmmmm...after reading that article over, I feel like getting a PhD wouldn't be too beneficial for me. I know for sure that I want to be a practicing audiologist but I still want to be involved in research. Like maybe helping in a lab or something. But if I can still be involved in that "world" somehow without getting a degree, that would be fantastic!

I think that's why I like WUSTL's program because I can earn my AuD through a research-based med center while still being exposed to all those things, especially through their Research Training Program.

Hmmmm...after reading that article over, I feel like getting a PhD wouldn't be too beneficial for me. I know for sure that I want to be a practicing audiologist but I still want to be involved in research. Like maybe helping in a lab or something. But if I can still be involved in that "world" somehow without getting a degree, that would be fantastic!

I think that's why I like WUSTL's program because I can earn my AuD through a research-based med center while still being exposed to all those things, especially through their Research Training Program.

I think you should definitely focus your efforts towards programs that are more research oriented. I don't know about other programs but my program makes us do a mini-dissertation that encompasses about two years of research. I chose my AuD program based upon my research interests so that later on, I can have a solid foundation in which to pursue my PhD in my intended area of interest. Have you thought about what kind of research you want to do? There are many strong research based AuD programs out there and by narrowing down your intended area of research will in turn narrow down programs that could be a good fit for you.

All three of my top choices had many active faculty members that still do clinical work on the side, UTD especially. It's ultimately up to the individual when deciding how to utilize their PhD. I know PhD's that solely do research and I know PhDs that direct a hospital's audiology division or run a school for children with CIs. So don't discount the PhD idea entirely!

I think you should definitely focus your efforts towards programs that are more research oriented. I don't know about other programs but my program makes us do a mini-dissertation that encompasses about two years of research. I chose my AuD program based upon my research interests so that later on, I can have a solid foundation in which to pursue my PhD in my intended area of interest. Have you thought about what kind of research you want to do? There are many strong research based AuD programs out there and by narrowing down your intended area of research will in turn narrow down programs that could be a good fit for you.

All three of my top choices had many active faculty members that still do clinical work on the side, UTD especially. It's ultimately up to the individual when deciding how to utilize their PhD. I know PhD's that solely do research and I know PhDs that direct a hospital's audiology division or run a school for children with CIs. So don't discount the PhD idea entirely!

Thanks spring88! I don't think I'll disregard the PhD idea all together, but at the same time I don't think I limit my choices to just combined degree programs. I'm not really sure about my research interests yet...although I think auditory processing disorders, and mostly anything surrounding pediatrics is fascinating.

do they get enough hours to get state licensure or ASHA or ABA certification? i'm just curious how that work. do they continue to do internships during their phd time?

at gallaudet there is an aud/phd program but they're really kind of separate. you apply for the phd program in the fall of your 4th year, just like anybody else would. but if you know you're interested you could try to get a couple classses out of the way early, if you're mega-efficient with your time because i don't see how it would be humanly possible to add a single thing to the aud curriculum. the other advantage is knowing the faculty and their interests, and possibly writing a thesis that you could develop more easily into a dissertation.

Yes absolutely, they can get their certs. You apply in your second year for the PhD/AuD combined program and then divide your time among your AuD classes and your PhD classes, so you dont necessarily stay with your year of AuD students. As for clinical, depending on your research you can count some of human data collection as patient time (like if you were doing research in electrophys). If you still want more some students take a years leave of absence and then go back and finish up the PhD. Others are able to continue to work their clinical rotations around their lab and class schedule. So its pretty individualized but the profs and dept are all very in tune with making sure students have all they will need for graduation and licensing and such.