AuD/PhD Dual Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dg2b

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year AuD student, and am considering doing the dual degree program offered by my program. Basically, it's an extra year or 2 on campus, with a few extra stats classes, and some classes in a minor area. It also requires more research obviously, and teaching undergrad classes every semester. I'm not too keen on spending 2 extra years in grad school, since I feeling ready to be a "real person" with a "real job," but I also know I will proabably want a PhD at some point later in my career if I don't do it now, and it will be much easier to do now before kids and a full time job.

At this point, I'm not sure whether I prefer the clinical or research aspects of audiology better. I defnitely enjoy seeing patients in clinic, but also like research. However, I don't know if I want to be stuck completely in either one for the rest of my career.

The application deadline is coming up in February or so, and I'm feeling pressured by faculty in my program to apply. I've had 2 professors and my clinical supervisor approach me privately and try to convince me to do it. Yesterday, my assessment professor (who did the dual degree program a few years ago herself) cornered me in the sound booth and told me I *really needed* do it. She told me that I could defnitely handle the work, and there are so many more job opportunities and opportunities for advancement with the PhD.

Anyone else doing a dual degree? Are you glad you are doing it, or is it just a waste of time? Know of anyone who has a dual degree but regrets it?

Members don't see this ad.

WOW. Your school does things much differently than mines in terms of the AuD/PhD. At my program, we need to have a "mentor" to support us, is that the case with yours? We don't start the PhD until we are finished with the AuD so it will take a few extra years (like four as opposed to six/seven otherwise). It's a system known to work very well for us.

I know about five AuD/PhDs in my program and they are all very happy with their decision. Many came to the program because of the AuD/PhD program and knew what kind of research they wanted to do beforehand. A couple of them are able to shave a year or two off because they started research right from the get go.

I'd say about half my class, including myself, is interested in getting a PhD at some point. Probably two of my classmates will go after the AuD/PhD and the rest (including myself) will get it later on. I can't be eight years in one place :). Those of us that are waiting later on are doing it with the understanding that our program (super research heavy) will give us the appropriate foundation to pursue one later on. We all have different ideas as to what kind of research we want to do and who we want to work with (including those not at our program).

Can you put off applying till your second year? It sounds like you are still pretty conflicted about it. Have you figured out what kind of research you want to do? If that's the case, is the faculty at your school a good match for your interests?

Honestly, I think the only benefit to doing the AuD/PhD is that you want research to be your primary calling and by doing the AuD/PhD, you can shave a couple of years off the PhD portion. Those that are doing the AuD/PhD at my program want research to be their main focus. My focus is more clinical but I love research as well, so I'm putting off the PhD for the time being.

If you wait to do the PhD, you will have a break from school, more experience in the clinical setting and more time to develop your interests. If you go back to pursue one, it will be with the understanding that this is something you for sure want to do BUT it will take more time overall to get it. Also, I know a couple PhD students who are married with babies, who were audiologists before switching over. They are perfectly happy :). If you want to wait, it's not as hard as you think to get back into the game.

There are pros and cons for both, its just up to you and what you really want to do. Go talk to some of the other AuD/PhDs or PhD students and talk with them about their own experience. They may have some good advice. Go with your heart and do whatever feels right.

So sorry for the lengthy response! I'm not exactly known to be concise. Hope this helps. You are more than welcome to PM me if you want :). I'd be happy to talk about this with you further.

I would really not recommend that you do it. You sound like you're not really sold on the idea, and you absolutely do not need an Au.D./Ph.D. to do both clinical work and research. Pick one track. You will be able to do both clinic and research.

Members don't see this ad :)
it sounds like your professors see potential in you. you are probably a step above your peers.

however, be wary of them trying to coax you into the phd program. i'm sure that having a Phd would definitely benefit you, but you enrolling in their Phd program also benefits them.

i'm surprised you have to decide in your first year. i'm in my third year and most of my classmates and i are still undecided. one person decided to do it, but she found a 4th year externship at a different university where she is able start their PhD program while in her 4th year clinical placement.

It sounds to me like you're not ready to commit to something like that. Its nice that your program currently has the AuD/PhD dual degree -- mine currently doesn't, and it almost caused me to pick another school.

However, a PhD isn't just something you should pursue because your professors see potential in you. Its something you definitely need to be committed to. I decided to finish the AuD first (still not sure if I will work for a couple of years before going back to school), but I am now absolutely positive that I will return for my PhD at some point. If you're not sure, though, I wouldn't suggest that you commit. Sure, its just "2 extra years" or whatever it may be for you, but its alot of work and you REALLY need to like research. Also, I don't necessarily really agree that its going to increase your salary, etc., later. I don't expect this for myself and am going to pursue it because I love research -- not for any other reason. I don't think its something you should be pressured into just because you're a good student. Obviously that's very flattering, so kudos to you, but there are other ways to be great at what you do that don't involve getting a PhD.

I would also highly recommend that you talk to other PhD students at your school (and the AuD/PhD dual degree students). Who do they work with? Are they happy? Do they actually finish in the time that they're told they will be finished? What are the employment statistics and demographics after graduation? (I.e. where are these students going, what are they doing, how much are they making). I think that's particularly important to look into for the AuD/PhD dual degree. Are people in your program that do that pursuing Post-docs? Are they becoming research audiologists? Do you need a PhD to fulfill the positions that they are doing/that you are interested in doing in the future?

Don't get me wrong, I am all for the PhD. My point is that its something I think that you really need to be realistic and passionate about. Otherwise, its not going to make you happy in the long run.