Aud applicants for fall of 09

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckeyeaud

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where is everyone applying for fall of 09? I just graduated from Ohio State and I am very interested in University of Texas at Austin. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

I'm considering UT-Austin as one my schools, as well. It's a great school! I hope we all see each other in the future.

Hi,
I am currently preparing to apply to AuD programs. I am concerned that I am not a competitive applicant because I have weak GRE scores(lower than 900, Granted when I took the GREs I was in school full time and working full time and didn't study too much for the exam). My GPA is good (3.65), I have great research experience and quite a few publications in the field of behavioral neurology. However, my past experience primarily focussed on language and towards an SLP degree. I started at the masters level in SLP studies but quickly realized I wouldn't truly enjoy the field.
Now that I am changing tracks I am worried about how competitive the programs in AuD studies are going to be and if I should retake the GREs.
Any thoughts?
I would like to start at the latest by Fall 09.

Thanks!:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
When do the applications come out for Fall '09? I have been checking and some of them aren't out yet. Do we have to continually check or will they come out around the same time. Also, are these schools rolling admissions? Thanks for the help everyone!

When do the applications come out for Fall '09? I have been checking and some of them aren't out yet. Do we have to continually check or will they come out around the same time. Also, are these schools rolling admissions? Thanks for the help everyone!

Applications are typically available in August/September but the earliest you can actually submit them is Oct. And yes you will have to keep checking because each schools time lines are slightly different. No AuD Program I have heard of has rolling admissions, they only accept students for Fall admissions.

Hope this helps.

Hi,
I am currently preparing to apply to AuD programs. I am concerned that I am not a competitive applicant because I have weak GRE scores(lower than 900, Granted when I took the GREs I was in school full time and working full time and didn't study too much for the exam). My GPA is good (3.65), I have great research experience and quite a few publications in the field of behavioral neurology. However, my past experience primarily focussed on language and towards an SLP degree. I started at the masters level in SLP studies but quickly realized I wouldn't truly enjoy the field.
Now that I am changing tracks I am worried about how competitive the programs in AuD studies are going to be and if I should retake the GREs.
Any thoughts?
I would like to start at the latest by Fall 09.

Thanks!:confused:

Okay so I was in your boat, kinda of, when I was applying for Fall 07 admissions. (which ended horribly) I was in school full time, working semi-full time, and pregnant. My GRE was in the low 900s but my GPA was fairly decent 3.54. I only applied to Vanderbilt, I know that was not to smart, but I was interested in staying in Nashville.

Anyways needless to say I did not get in and when I conferenced with a few professors I knew on the admission board I was told that My GRE and My essay were the reasons for my denial. So the following summer I retook the GREs twice, studied, and brought them up a hundred or so points. (Still average at best scores) I had my essay edited by two professor, one at Vandy and one at Northwestern and reapplied to 9 different schools with varying ranks and selectiveness. And got into 5, was wait listed at 3 and was denied at one.

All this to say I would most defiantly retake the GREs because that is one of the first ways that most schools weed quickly through the applications. AuD programs have become highly competitive so I think if you don't retake them you probably will have not so great results.

Applications are typically available in August/September but the earliest you can actually submit them is Oct. And yes you will have to keep checking because each schools time lines are slightly different. No AuD Program I have heard of has rolling admissions, they only accept students for Fall admissions.

Hope this helps.

Thanks AuDTNStudent!

What I meant by rolling admissions is if it matters when we actually submit the application...such as if you submit a lot earlier from the deadline, you'd hear from them sooner or everyone hears around the same time regardless of when they submit their application.

What is a reasonable # of schools that AuD students should apply to? Currently I want to apply to at least 10 because my boyfriend is applying to med schools and we want to make sure that we have some overlap and places to consider for the two of us. Is that enough or should I be applying to more?
Currently I am going to plan on applying all over the US: CA, NY, MD, NC, TX, MA, NH, DC, CO.

Okay so I was in your boat, kinda of, when I was applying for Fall 07 admissions. (which ended horribly) I was in school full time, working semi-full time, and pregnant. My GRE was in the low 900s but my GPA was fairly decent 3.54. I only applied to Vanderbilt, I know that was not to smart, but I was interested in staying in Nashville.

Anyways needless to say I did not get in and when I conferenced with a few professors I knew on the admission board I was told that My GRE and My essay were the reasons for my denial. So the following summer I retook the GREs twice, studied, and brought them up a hundred or so points. (Still average at best scores) I had my essay edited by two professor, one at Vandy and one at Northwestern and reapplied to 9 different schools with varying ranks and selectiveness. And got into 5, was wait listed at 3 and was denied at one.

All this to say I would most defiantly retake the GREs because that is one of the first ways that most schools weed quickly through the applications. AuD programs have become highly competitive so I think if you don't retake them you probably will have not so great results.

^^^^ I am you, right down to applying to one school (which I agree, wasn't the brightest idea), getting rejected, inquiring about the rejection and improving upon those areas. Anywhoo, I plan to retake the GREs. You give me hope that I will be accepted this time around.;)

Im planning on applying to Syracuse, Buffalo, Long Island Consortium, Maryland (both schools), UNC-chapel hill. Might apply to a school in Florida but not sure yet. Where is everyone else planning on applying to? Are there any males that will be applying?

I am currently applying to UNC, Vanderbilt, SDSU/UCSD, and Towson... all over the map. Honestly I'm not even sure WHY I'm applying to these except that I like the location or they are ranked as a great schools.

They all look the same to me on paper!!!

How did you all decide where to apply?

I've applied to UMCP, Pitt and JMU. I'm still thinking about Towson. Any thoughts on these?

I've visited all 4 but really prefer the 3 I've sent the apps to. But I don't know if I should be applying to more. My grades are competitive and my GRE's are Ok but could be better.

Any thoughts out there?

To answer the previous post, I'm looking at geography, ratings I've read, and then my impressions when I visited.

What are the rest of the '09 applicants looking at to decide?

i was wondering if any1 has heard of A.T. Still University. No clue what it is, but its some school in Arizona that I cam across while researching what option I have since my GPA just got royally screwed. Any input would be great, thx :D

Members don't see this ad :)
ATSU was one of the first schools to offer the Au.D. program. You'd have to check out their website in order to get more specific. The main nucleus of this school is in Missouri but the Au.D. program is in Mesa, Arizona.

There is not a lot of information regarding this school on the internet. It is mentioned in the U.S. News and World Report as offering the Audiology program but is not given a ranking. If you go over to the osteopath threads the school is mentioned often. Saw it mentioned a lot in their rejection threads, especially. They are a very progressive school from what I gather...you should call for more information. I've spoken to faculty there who are more than happy to provide information. There is an electronic brochure offered that you may peruse at your leisure; it's somewhere on their site, you'd have to look, I don't have the link. :cool:

There aren't many participants in the Au.D. forums, nor are there many in this thread....so maybe I'm getting a skewed picture when I'm seeing posts describing individuals applying to two, maybe three schools? Am I the only person that applied to 10+? :confused:

^^^...Nah, your not the only one. I'm applying through a program to help cut down the application fee costs. I stopped counting after 10. It's competitive now that the economy is rough, and many will consider returning to school.....

Ya, that CSDCAS application system. For a while I had trouble getting ahold of the individual running the CSD applications over there in Massachusetts...noone answered the phone during business hours, noone called back for over a week, etc. I became so frustrated I complained to one of the universities I was applying to about it. Maybe not the best thing to do, but I was polite and felt it was necessary people provide feedback pertaining to the centralized app. for their own awareness of the user (un) friendliness of the system. Finally after I complained and sent an e-mail inquiring if this is how the CSDCAS was accustomed to doing business I finally got some constructive feedback.

My (now solved) problems aside, that centralized application is expensive! In the long-run, if all universities got "on the train" and became member universities of the application system it would prove to be cheaper. However, that is not the case. 100 bucks for the first school and somewhere around $45 for each school thereafter. I only applied to two schools through CSDCAS, as the others on their list I was not interested in. This made for a VERY expensive two applications. For whatever reason, one university required I pay the CSDCAS fee along with their own fee!!

I will say that this system, when integrated along with others of its type, such as PHARMCAS, will be a big step forward. This is its pilot inception year, so the kinks still have to be worked out, but I do see great advantages of CSDCAS....you do save money with not having to request twenty dollar GRE scores be sent to each school, not having to request DANTES/CLEP reports be sent out to each school, college transcripts from each university, etc. It's all there in one centralized app--do it once and be done with it. When you're done, no calling to verify receipt of materials, conformance with each particular of material format, etc. It does become confusing after a while--I once sent an app. to the wrong university when envelopes got mixed up. How utterly embarrassing.:idea:

Since we're the first-year guinea pigs of the system, we'll just have to roll with the punches of having to work with direct appliations as well as the centralized app. :thumbup:

As far as competitiveness goes, I don't think we'll see that much of a change. Undergraduate programs, I expect, will be more beleaguered with applicants. With people trying to put food on the table, though, it is difficult to imagine one wishing to put oneself further in debt by deciding it is the perfect opportunity to pursue a doctorate in --fill in the blank--. Audiology programs are competitive by the nature of the small matriculating class size limitations more than the relative applicant pool...one of those "under the radar" professions. Too, audiology isn't one of those "get rich" types of professions but rather a profession with great job satisfaction which allows good chances of employment and job mobility. There's only so many people who would show serious interest in such a program.

Of course, this is my humble opinion. :D

You would think that a doc program, such as Audiology would be "on the ball" with the centralized application system....Uggghh...just wish me luck.

I see your point re: the competitive/economy issue. For those that are deciding a career change, yes, college will be overwhelmed with applicants. There's a great deal of folks where I live already with BA degrees (hard sciences, math), that are considering grad school b/c of the financial prospect once they complete it. You never know where they will apply to. Like you said, it's already a small pool.....

Just my bias.

I am applying to AuD programs, but I come from a non-traditional background. Are most of you coming from backgrounds in speech and hearing sciences?

Stay away from University of Utah. The program is in shambles.

This is not a lone opinion but is felt by all students in the program.

Last edited:
The University of Utah post probably deserves it's own thread, though if this is honest advice it is appreciated nontheless. What exactly is the matter with the program? No details are given. :confused:

So...what are people doing to pass the time until admission notices start to roll in? :eek:

I'm ancy. I'm not the poster child of academic success, adding to the dynamic of the situation. My future depends on where I'm accepted, as this will determine what I do in terms of relocating etc. Everything is set to dovetail with the end of my military contract; people within the chain of command are waiting to see what the results are as well so I can make a determination as to what I'll be doing.

If I don't get in anywhere I'll probably stick with the military for at least two more years & save some capital before I go and make a career change (which probably won't involve anything to do with audiology at that point).

Every other forum group on SDN has a bunch of activity going on. How is it that it seems the audiology forum doesn't have any activity?

Everyone excited? From here until the next sixty or so days the Fates will be cutting the strings! :xf:

Yes, teucer. I'm flipping excited. Also, are you by chance a Classics major or just a Classics fan?

I've a BGS with minors in English and History. Combine the English and History and you get...Greek literature? I dunno :laugh:

There...the secret is out; my undergrad concentrations have been laid bare! :hungover:

Where is everyone applying for fall of 09?

I applied to a variety of places:

Maryland College Park, James Madison, Memphis, Washington Univ in St. Louis, SDSU/UCSD, UT Dallas

The only one on that list I've applied to is Memphis. Still thinking about U.TENN. May as well after sending apps to ETSU, Memphis & Vanderbilt. Wonder why TN seems to be the Au.D. mecca of the U.S.?

I applied to Wash U, U Wash, UNC, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, SDSU and CU-Boulder :xf:

so AT still is out of the picture, im left with syracuse, adelphi, jmu, nova and montclair.

Why is ATSU out of the picture? You got rejected too? Be sure to post that up in the rejection thread; my post is getting lonely!

Now that I found out how to get StudentDoctor.net to display older posts, I see we have quite a few re-applicants this time around. I didn't know many of you all are veterans at this thing!

it seems like most of us applied to public universities. i've noticed a lot of public universities are cutting back significantly on their financial packages and i'm wondering if private might have been the way to go this round. anybody know how it looks with private schools?

also did anyone else apply to gallaudet?

Does anyone have anymore Information as to why Utah State is in Shambles. I applied there lol

your absolutely right, and I am a beggar lol, I don't care where I get in, I was just wondering!

I have applied to Syracuse, Northwestern, Gallaudet, Towson, University of Pittsburgh, and Ball State University and have yet to hear back from any of these programs. Has anyone been successful??

Also, I applied to the Northeast Ohio Audiology Consortium and am going to their visitation day this Friday. Is anyone else going??

-Melissa

I applied to Washington University School of Medicine, University of Maryland, University of Washington, and Vanderbilt. Wash U is my first choice and I got in with a scholarship offer...it will be interesting to see what the public universities have to offer because of the economy. I'm also worried about public universities hiking up tuition rates each year. From what I understand, the private universities freeze your tuition rates.

I applied to the Graduate Center of New York, and Montclair State University

I applied to Washington University School of Medicine, University of Maryland, University of Washington, and Vanderbilt. Wash U is my first choice and I got in with a scholarship offer...it will be interesting to see what the public universities have to offer because of the economy. I'm also worried about public universities hiking up tuition rates each year. From what I understand, the private universities freeze your tuition rates.

Yup, economy is a mess. Also impacting private schools with their endowment investment losses. Some schools also taken by some of the massive ponzi fraud schemes all over the news..so sad

Everyone hang in there! Some states freeze tuition rates for four years, too! Let's hope gov/legislative advocates stay strong in support of higher ed...

Yup, economy is a mess. Also impacting private schools with their endowment investment losses. Some schools also taken by some of the massive ponzi fraud schemes all over the news..so sad

Everyone hang in there! Some states freeze tuition rates for four years, too! Let's hope gov/legislative advocates stay strong in support of higher ed...
can you list some criteria to get into with a scholarship... do they look on our gpa gre...i am top of the witlist in USF.. hope i get into..

can you list some criteria to get into with a scholarship... do they look on our gpa gre...i am top of the witlist in USF.. hope i get into..

good question...I've had a variety of reactions to my application ranging from pretty generous scholarships, assistantships, admission w/option to compete for assistantships, waitlist & rejection. I didn't list all the schools I applied to on this board (to maintain some privacy), but the most competitive school provided the best scholarship offer out of all the places where I was accepted. Not what I expected. Maybe they have more funding because they are competitive. On the other hand, I also have not heard back from a school that offers full funding...at any rate, I know I'm not the most competitive applicant, but I still received some positive responses.

I don't know if schools are comparing applicants to each other to achieve a "balanced" class in terms of individual applicant interests. If that's the case, then it's not like a list of criteria is their only factor and that's something completely out of our control. In the end, we can only present ourselves in the best light to places that seem to be a good match and hope for the best.

As for me, I don't have clinical experience, but I have a year of independent study research experience (but not published and only presented to grad students and faculty at my school). I also have a pretty broad range of work experiences, including working abroad for a few years. I applied mainly to schools where their strengths and areas of faculty interest match my research background. Schools that accepted me right away seem to have a better match of my background and what they offer.

What's funny is a couple places where I interviewed rejected me. No matter how I think of it rationally, emotionally it still stings a little. No one likes to be rejected--human nature. Maybe I did not seem to show as much interest in their program as the other applicants, maybe I said something that stood out as a "yellow flag" indicating I may not be happy living in that area, who knows...I'd like to put some faith in their rejection decisions in determining what they offered did not seem to match me. I'd like to think of it that way, at least. I like to stay positive. I wouldn't want to be somewhere a year from now and realize I'm really unhappy and should have gone elsewhere. The faculty go through this process every year, so I'd like to think they have a good sense of both the "hard" and "soft" factors for a successful applicant-program match.

My undergraduate GPA for my B.A degree was not stellar. Probably close to 3.2, but I went to a tough school and took really tough classes like 4 quarters of engineering level calculus and linear algebra, 3 quarters of calculus based chemistry & physics, a lot of biology, along with a bunch of computer science coursework and two foreign languages.

I'm wrapping up a post-bac in Communication Disorders where I have a 4.0 For GRE I got around 600 verbal and 700 in quantitative, 5.0 on analytical writing. I spent a lot of time developing my essay so it had a theme relating my past experiences to my career goal in audiology, and my letters of recommendation were from two Ph.D. audiology full-time professors (one also with a pvt practice & on the state licensing board), and the 3rd letter fr a professor who served as my advisor for a 2 quarter independent study research project. In other words, I had reservations about my low undergrad GPA, so I worked really hard to demonstrate I still have potential to succeed in an AuD program.

In the end, I'm also wait listed at USF, so I don't think this is helpful to you! My point is, who knows what the ultimate criteria is for the entering class admissions criteria...process just got underway, and it actually continues all the way through summer as unexpected circumstances arise for some applicants who had committed to attending in fall.

As hard as it is, try to stay positive and don't lose hope!

the other thing I noticed is, at least on this board, we have a lot of out of state notifications listed for a lot of schools before the in state notifications started hitting. Not sure what that really means (if anything), but still an interesting pattern...

Has anyone on here applied to either the University of North Texas or the University of Texas at Dallas and have heard anything back yet? I am on pins and needles! Please let me know!