This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocolatelover8012

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which school is better to attend? I know tuition cost so much more at SGU vs. AUA. AUA now allows students to get federal aid. Which school has better residency placements? Has anyone attended AUA?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok well for SGU the committee told me I should first take some pre-med courses at SGU which is an extra semester there. Also the cost at SGU is more. If I attend AUA, tuition is less, more scholarship opportunities, and I don't need to take an extra semester. So what do you is a better choice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake any c/d courses, along with the Mcat, and apply DO. Many people from both SGU and especially AUA finish in 5+ years, if they finish at all. I know many from both schools, and I would never recommend either.
Take the time to guarantee yourself a residency match and graduation instead of gambling with the carib.
-A recently matched SGU grad

Reactions: 3 users
Do not approach a career in medicine and bank on a shortcut. Put in the work and apply DO. As the above poster mentioned, not many people succeed at either SGU or AUA. But if you must go this route SGU is hands down better than AUA.

Reactions: 1 user
Caribbean Medical University I here is quite fantastic and you should become a fine physician after going through the match 5.67 times.....:horns:

I'd go to SGU if you MUST go to the caribbean

Ok thanks everyone! I have applied to DO schools but I'm still waiting to hear back. I got into SGU but I need to take an extra semester of pre-med courses there and then if I keep my gpa to 3.5 I can get moved to the MD program in Aug 2017. I know the tuition is expensive but it's the top Caribbean school. I applied to Ross too but I'm waiting to hear back. If I do get into Ross, should I go to SGU or Ross?

You should go to a US MD or DO program. But if you're insistent on a caribbean gamble then SGU.

What's the difference between attending SGU and Ross? What are the pro and cons for each school?

Sgu vs ross are basically equally bad choices. Both have an extremely high fail out rate and skewed published statistics. Take a gap year, buff your low points on your application and apply DO.
If your set on carib....
I believe from my personal experience that SGU might have a higher fail rate, but seems to have more name recognition. They matched about the same amount of grads last year, sgu matching about 30 more, but we do not know what the starting classes were. My starting year at SGU had about 1250 in it...and only 800 ish matched. Keep in mind many of those finished in more than 4 years.
Also, stating SGU is the "top Carib school" is a ridiculous statement. It is the best of the worst options out there. You wouldn't say you were the best of the bottom tenth of your class would you?

Reactions: 2 users