AUA vs Osteopathic Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoctr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can a fellow 4th year osteopathic student answer this for me please?! The match goes AUA, then osteopathic, however, by the time you find out about AUA it is too late to withdraw from the osteopathic match....leaving the very real possiblity of matching at 2 programs. How did you do it/planning on doing it? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Would try urologymatch.com

Unfortunately my friend, you have to pick and choose. You can enter the AUA match but if you also enter AOA and DO match into an AUA residency the AOA one (pending you match) will pull you. Directly from my Dean.

Pick one and go for it! Best wishes! Just know that a lot of the DO Uro spots are favoritism and some even pre-match...illegal or not...

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately my friend, you have to pick and choose. You can enter the AUA match but if you also enter AOA and DO match into an AUA residency the AOA one (pending you match) will pull you. Directly from my Dean.

Pick one and go for it! Best wishes! Just know that a lot of the DO Uro spots are favoritism and some even pre-match...illegal or not...

How does that happen? I mean the AUA releases their results the next day the AOA match makes you wait till the first week in Feb. Thus, it would make sense to do both matches in case you don't match in the AOA match, right?

How does that happen? I mean the AUA releases their results the next day the AOA match makes you wait till the first week in Feb. Thus, it would make sense to do both matches in case you don't match in the AOA match, right?

It would make sense to try both options. However and unfortunately so, you can not enter both matches. Because IF you do....AND you DO match into an MD AUA Urology spot......AND you subsequently match into an AOA Urology spot ...the AOA pulls rank because you are an osteopathic student and they will pull you for their AOA Urology Spot. You then leave your AUA program spot empty.

Do you understand what I am saying? The deadline for the AOA rank list occurs before you find out your results of the AUA match. The AOA Urology match is NOT PART of the AUA match.

AUA results are released Jan 25th. The AOA Urology match results are released with all the other AOA residency spots in Feb.

SO.....you will have to take a risk and go for it. Best wishes!

It would make sense to try both options. However and unfortunately so, you can not enter both matches. Because IF you do....AND you DO match into an MD AUA Urology spot......AND you subsequently match into an AOA Urology spot ...the AOA pulls rank because you are an osteopathic student and they will pull you for their AOA Urology Spot. You then leave your AUA program spot empty.

Do you understand what I am saying? The deadline for the AOA rank list occurs before you find out your results of the AUA match. The AOA Urology match is NOT PART of the AUA match.

AUA results are released Jan 25th. The AOA Urology match results are released with all the other AOA residency spots in Feb.

SO.....you will have to take a risk and go for it. Best wishes!

Yes that makes sense, but that wasn't what I was saying...I'm just saying it makes sense to apply to both matches in case you DON'T match in the AOA match leaving the off chance you match AUA still intact. If I'm applying AOA I better hope I would be happy in an AOA program otherwise there is no reason to applying osteopathic. I actually hope I match AOA vs AUA, but in the crazy world of matching nothing seems to be safe or a sure bet. Thanks for you response...are you applying or did you already?

Yes that makes sense, but that wasn't what I was saying...I'm just saying it makes sense to apply to both matches in case you DON'T match in the AOA match leaving the off chance you match AUA still intact. If I'm applying AOA I better hope I would be happy in an AOA program otherwise there is no reason to applying osteopathic. I actually hope I match AOA vs AUA, but in the crazy world of matching nothing seems to be safe or a sure bet. Thanks for you response...are you applying or did you already?

Oh...I misunderstood what you were asking...my bad. Well Im glad you got an answer either way.

I already applied...I did AUA...MD Urology only...and I MATCHED!!! VERY VERY HAPPY!

I did interview at 2 DO Uro programs, but they were not good fits for me (for numerous reasons which I will not get into here) and I decided I would rather not match and do a research year and reapply, then to get accepted and go to one of them. Its a very personal decision and you have to be very honest with yourself and what you need/want. I will say most DO Urology programs will not interview you if you did not do a Sub-I with them...And if you want to have your best shots at an ACGME Uro residency you should do a Sub-I at that place to truly get a feel for the program and if you think it will be a good fit. Thats my personal opinion on the ACGME Uro Sub-Is. ALSO....I intend to go into Academic medicine and you are not eligible to sit for the ABU Boards (American Board of Urology--The gold standard in the Urology world) if you do not go to an accredited ACGME Urology residency and for me that would hurt me a lot to not be able to say I am board eligible or board certified. Hope some of this helped. Good luck to you! And reach for the stars...Dont EVER believe someone who tells you something can not be done. Unfortunately you may hear that a lot from other DOs who did not match in ACGME Urology or who are in AOA Urology programs and have a chip on their shoulders, which I think is very sad and jaded. Your goal should be not to go to an "ACGME" or "AOA" Urology residency but to go into a program that will train you well that you can see yourself in. I will never in my life tell someone they dont have a chance doing something or trying for their dream. You do not have that right to kill someone's hope...But alas...Im getting on my own tangent and personal feelings about my experiences in the Match and Sub-Is this year. Unfortunately I believe it is far too often other DOs who truly suppress and limit the abilities of other osteopathic students/doctors more so than our allopathic counterparts. I (thanks be to God ) matched MD Uro. If you believe in yourself, trust in God, work hard enough and are a good person...things usually tend to work themselves out. Feel free to PM if you have any other questions.

You can sign up for both matches. If you happen to match MD you just need to call the National Matching Service that same day to let them know. They will instruct you to fax them a letter stating that you are withdrawing your application from their match because you have a contract in place.

They, being the NMS, freely acknowledge that should a DO student apply/match during the AOA/NMS match in Feb, the student is automatically dropped from the allopathic match/NRMP in March. However, they refuse to drop DO urology applicants if they happen to match MD uro unless there is a written request. Here's the NMS (National Matching Service) number; I would give a call and double check that things haven't chaged - (416) 977-3431.

Other than that the above poster has made some valid points. Don't sell yourself short...

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." HDT

PM me if you have any questions.

DK

Does anyone know which ACGME urology programs are DO friendly? Thanks!