ATTN: People interested in derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blesbok

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Other than lifestyle and paycheck, please explain to me the motivation to choose derm. I have always wondered what drives the few and far between that choose derm for reasons other than those listed.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually liked the derm stuff in path. Not enough to do derm though (although that lifestyle sure is tempting).

I kinda see where you're coming from, but then again why does anyone pick any specialty? Why do optho people like eyeballs and why do oncologists like cancer? To each their own. I'm sure a lot of people go into derm for the lifestyle, but I know plenty of people who like it also because they find it really interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I kinda see where you're coming from, but then again why does anyone pick any specialty? Why do optho people like eyeballs and why do oncologists like cancer? To each their own. I'm sure a lot of people go into derm for the lifestyle, but I know plenty of people who like it also because they find it really interesting.
I am not saying they don't, I am just genuinely curious. I can kind of understand the potential interest in most specialties, but I have never really been able to grasp that of derm. However, I also don't know too many derm residents or people that are planning on going in to derm, so I have never really questioned anyone about it.

Like surebrec mentioned (and long dong will probably come in to confirm), derm path is actually pretty awesome. Skin has a very interesting histology.

I am sure there are unhappy dermatologists, but the majority I have seen are really into it. Skin cancer IS completely preventable and yet it kills so many people, much like colon cancer.

From what I've seen, Mohs surgery can be really interesting for a dermatologist to get into. lots of flaps and plastics stuff.

did u watch grey's anatomy today? that's why....hand massages, done with work at 2 pm, getting too much sleep, and that rose tinted haze and happy music that plays in derm clinic. oh and i'm into lotion. hahahha j/k.

but i do like microbiology and i love how it's always linked to skin disorders (and GI and UTI i guess) and that'd be interesting to explore. but i shouldn't answer b/c I like neuro stuff and ENT more as a career anyway.

What's cool about derm is that it's usually readily-visible. There's not a lot of guessing & expensive diagnostics to figure out the problem: it's a funny rash; a funny-looking mole; etc.
My problem with derm is my problem with any specialty: monogamy. It's hard to imagine committing for the rest of my working life to just one system.
FP with heavy derm? Sure. But yeah, the derm lifestyle sure would be nice.

Not my choice, but my friend who is applying for derm has explained that he really likes Mohs Surgery and that's the main draw for him, but he also likes the variety of pathology that derm represents - it runs the gamut from infectious disease to rheumatology, from endocrine to cardiology - so many disease processes have skin manifestations.

Good reason NOT to do derm: 1/2 of your day will be spent treating acne in moody teens who hate their parents and won't take their acne medications as directed.

I think all specialties have their (+) and (-).

speaking of neuro...has anyone noticed that 99% of neuro residents are Indian?

to tell you the truth, i really find the skin interesting. i can't explain it. you can ask my family. any bump they have i like to inspect. call me weird. that's fine. i guess it stems from having bad acne growing up. if it weren't so competitive, i would definitely think about going into it, but i don't really want to deal w/ that part of it i don't think

why medicine at all?

Not my choice, but my friend who is applying for derm has explained that he really likes Mohs Surgery and that's the main draw for him, but he also likes the variety of pathology that derm represents - it runs the gamut from infectious disease to rheumatology, from endocrine to cardiology - so many disease processes have skin manifestations.

Considering that Mohs surgery is the most lucrative thing you can do in medicine hour for hour, I like it too.

Since someone mentioned this, I'm wondering...Does one do derm with a dermpath fellowship or path with a dermpath fellowship? Anyone know?

Either route is acceptable. Some programs prefer derm residents, some pathology residents, some alternate between the two.

Other than lifestyle and paycheck, please explain to me the motivation to choose derm. I have always wondered what drives the few and far between that choose derm for reasons other than those listed.
Most derm types are visual people. I myself am very visual, early in med school I was considering going into pathology, mainly because I like the visual component of it and being the expert that made the final diagnosis. But in 3rd year I also enjoyed seeing patients as well. So derm and then path seemed like the best fit for me. I told my father who is a plastic surgeon that if I had good hands I'd be a surgeon, or if I had good ears I'd be a cardiologist listening to heart sounds but I don't have ether one. I like working with kids, adults, the elderly, and treating them medically. I also like doing procedures that are under a few hours, because as I get fatigued my tremor increases. I don't enjoy standing around for hours doing a bilateral tram, whipples, or fibular jaw reconstruction, because a few hours into the case my tremor becomes more pronounced. Trust me if I had good steady hands I always wanted to be like my dad, but my talent is visual. I also liked rads alot too because of visual component of the field but wouldn't be able to handle all that time spent in the dark room, reading study after study to get to the point of doing interventions. I'd utlimately would like to see patients 2 days a week, have a procedures clinic 1 day a week, and read slides 2 days a week. I don't think you can get that kind of variety in any other field.

Considering that Mohs surgery is the most lucrative thing you can do in medicine hour for hour, I like it too.
Tell that to the guys in the path forum, I'm sure they'll have a different opinion.

Last edited: