Attention SDNers who've completed fafsa...what kinda #s did u see?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
About the same here, made 60k. Even With 3 kids my EFC will be 5100 bucks. Like I am going to have that kind of cash come school.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by LetMeInPlease
My goodness, my EFC was like $707. I thought that was good til I saw this post. That makes me kind of sad cause I am assuming that I have a higher EFC cause I worked during school. The sad part is that almost all that money went straight to tuition, so I don't have any more money than those people who didn't work! Oh well, still, $707 isn't too horrible, I guess. Anyone else get a number besides 0?

My EFC was $13,689!!!!!!!!!!! I have some investments from inheritance money that I REFUSE to touch until after med school. I called up the med school and they said that even with that figure, I'll prob still qualify for the max amount of subsidized stafford loans. Either way, the UNSUBSIDIZED Staffords aren't need based and you'll get the max amount (30k/yr) if you ask for it.

my income for 2003 was 8000 and my EFC came out to "ZERO".

i have a child so maybe thats why.

Members don't see this ad :)
I made around $8000 between my summer job and my odd-jobs during the school year. My EFC is $777. I really liked that number at first, started to feel bad when I read this thread and saw all the $00000 peeps, then figured oh well, its not that much and next year I'll be one of them too!!

I lucked out with my school; they only want our income info, not our parents. This is good b/c my father is so irresponsible that it would take more than an act of God to get him to get his sheeeat together in time for me to file! I sympathize with people who have parents like him too!!

My hubby and I were hoping to buy a house and I don't think that's possible anymore. Did you guys know that there's some clause on FAFSA about how the money we get for loan/grant is only to be used for educational purposes? So say I want some of it to go to my mortgage etc, I can't do that.

This doesn't seem right. What about a single student who uses some grant/loan money to pay rent? Why is this different than a married student using money to help with mortgage payments?

So, if you include parental information on the FAFSA, even though you are independent, is the number they give you the same as it would be if you didn't?

I took a year off and worked, and they seem to expect me to contribute 1/3 of my pre-tax income to my tuition. (Or 1/2 of my taxable income, after my deductions) Oh well, I guess it just means some unsubsidized loans for that amount...

Originally posted by hale-bopp
So, if you include parental information on the FAFSA, even though you are independent, is the number they give you the same as it would be if you didn't?...

It depends on how old you are. I'm 28 and it would be for me but maybe not for someone who is younger. Or so they tell me at the UVa finaid office.
BTW my efc is in.....21,000. Ouch:scared:
And I'm not doing HPSP anymore so I've got some big loans in my future.

My EFC was $9999. I only made $32K last year. My parents JUST inherited $$ from the recent sale of my deceased grandfather's house and have not yet been able to move the $$ into a retirement account/use it to pay off their mortgage.

Originally posted by rgporter
I think I am screwed. My wife and I made $70,000 together last year, most of which was my income. I assume that my EFC will be through the roof, even though I won't have a job while I'm in school and all of my savings is going to be lost selling my house in a poor market (plus to those blood thirsty real-estate agents)!

And no your not expected to shell it out, your expected to take private loans at a much higher (and compounding) interest rate.:(

What line of work are you in? How long have you been working?
Where arre you planning to go to med school?

Originally posted by pocwana
in the FAO they presume that if all other means of financial support are extinguished, then parents would rather take out whatever they can to help their child through medical school than see that student have to drop out due to financial reasons. this is why they look at parents schtuff, even if you are married, supposedly your parents will still help out if push came to shove.

These people obviously have never met my family...

--Funkless
EFC: $27000 (yup.) Married, filing jointly.

I'm a bit confused about what the EFC is. Mine is about 10k, mainly from a variety of investments, as I only made about 4k in 2003.

So does that basically mean that they expect that I pay 10k a year? Will I not be able to get the full amount of Stafford Loans?

Just wondering becuase I really didn't want to have to touch my investments until after school so that I can get more money out of them.....

I'm a bit confused about what the EFC is. Mine is about 10k, mainly from a variety of investments, as I only made about 4k in 2003.

So does that basically mean that they expect that I pay 10k a year? Will I not be able to get the full amount of Stafford Loans?

Just wondering becuase I really didn't want to have to touch my investments until after school so that I can get more money out of them.....

You should still be eligible for $38,500 in Stafford loans with a maximum of $8,500 in subsidized.

oh lord, EFC is $15K. ummmm....yeah right, i have that lying around here somewhere.
do any of you know more about the supplemental form that was referred to on this thread? it sounded like you have to wait to submit it, but i don't really see how they can seriously expect that kind of a contribution, based on my last year's salary (which wouldn't have covered it anyway) considering i am QUITTING my sorry ass job.

anyone have a handy link to this form? is it a school-specific deal or a federal form?

alternatively, we can all chip in for megabucks lottery tickets or something, right?