Attending Lecture

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tc13

TEXAS
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you other non-traditional students attend your undergrad lectures for basic classes like gen chem and bio? I just started back to school and it seems like the time I take off work to attend lecture could be better spent studying on my own. I not going to skip all lectures, but it sure doesn't seem like I learn anything new in class.

Members don't see this ad.

tc13 said:
Do you other non-traditional students attend your undergrad lectures for basic classes like gen chem and bio? I just started back to school and it seems like the time I take off work to attend lecture could be better spent studying on my own. I not going to skip all lectures, but it sure doesn't seem like I learn anything new in class.

Everyone learns differently, but for me attending the lecture seems to solidify the material I have been studying. It sounds like you are being pulled in two different directions because you have to take time away from work to be there. Since you are just getting started back at school, I would give it a little more time. As you get further into the semester, the lecture (and material) will become a bit more complex and attending may hold more value. If it continues to seem useless at that point I would not hesitate to blow it off.

Keep in mind that attending the lecture can be a good way to start the process of getting to know some of these professors with an eye towards a letter of recommendation in the future. Best of luck. :luck:

I completely feel your pain! The problem is, with classes like Chem, you just never know when those random points show up on exams! I have definitely found that discussion material is included in exams far more than the material out of textbooks. Also, going over stuff more than once is the best way to learn it.

That said, I didn't feel too bad when skipping class! Professors who talk down to students are my "favorate"!

It really depends on the class for me. I've unfortunately made the mistake of not attending enough lectures before so I'm making a conscious effort to do so now. G.Chem I probably went 2/3 of the time, but most of my classes now have daily "quiz" questions by way of a "clicker" (a little electronic pen-shaped thing with a-e on it) and those points are usually worth as much as a test, or a weekly quiz, but I've also taken a lot of online core courses so I'm relatively used to studying on my own.

Personally I wouldn't miss too many lectures prior to your first exam since you can't really know how much of the material will be more lecture-oriented or more book-oriented. Once that's done if going to class still feels pointless then by all means study on your own.