Attending conferences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExploringOptions

Reaction score
I am attending my first conference this spring. Not as a presenter, just as a student. I hope to meet some potential mentors for the PhD cycle later this year. I am currently a master’s student. Having never attended a conference before, I was hoping more experienced people could offer advice on how to get the most out of it. I also don’t want to try to do everything, as I know it would be overwhelming and exhausting, especially considering it’s across the country, so I will have jet lag to contend with.
1. Specifically, should I be prepared to discuss potential mentors’ research with them?
2. How do I make sure to not sound like I am fawning all over them?
3. Things I should definitely NOT do?
Dress code?
4. Attending the receptions: do I need to go to all of them? Are they all even open to me as a student? Is it okay to not attend each one.
5. If I know a potential mentor is attending is it okay to email them ahead of time to try to set up a meeting at the conference? Or play it by ear? This only applies to one specific person I really want to work with.
Anything else relevant I would love to hear! Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I am attending my first conference this spring. Not as a presenter, just as a student. I hope to meet some potential mentors for the PhD cycle later this year. I am currently a master’s student. Having never attended a conference before, I was hoping more experienced people could offer advice on how to get the most out of it. I also don’t want to try to do everything, as I know it would be overwhelming and exhausting, especially considering it’s across the country, so I will have jet lag to contend with.
1. Specifically, should I be prepared to discuss potential mentors’ research with them?
2. How do I make sure to not sound like I am fawning all over them?
3. Things I should definitely NOT do?
Dress code?
4. Attending the receptions: do I need to go to all of them? Are they all even open to me as a student? Is it okay to not attend each one.
5. If I know a potential mentor is attending is it okay to email them ahead of time to try to set up a meeting at the conference? Or play it by ear? This only applies to one specific person I really want to work with.
Anything else relevant I would love to hear! Thanks in advance.

1) Be a normal human being. If someone asks what you do, tell them. If no one asks, keep it shut. If you’re trying to suck up, ask questions, positively reinforce by nodding and mimicking their body language.

2) Ask questions. When someone doesn’t want to talk, you pick up on normal social cues and leave them alone.

3) Rule One of fight club is don’t get drunk and make an ass out of yourself. Rule two is don’t hook up. Rule three is probably dress business casual and act like a normal person.

4) Attending isn’t a bad idea. Staying isn’t a necessity. Making an appearance, glad handing some people, maybe exchanging contact info, and then disappearing isn’t a bad idea.

5) Not a bad idea.

Reactions: 2 users
1) Be a normal human being. If someone asks what you do, tell them. If no one asks, keep it shut. If you’re trying to suck up, ask questions, positively reinforce by nodding and mimicking their body language.

2) Ask questions. When someone doesn’t want to talk, you pick up on normal social cues and leave them alone.

3) Rule One of fight club is don’t get drunk and make an ass out of yourself. Rule two is don’t hook up. Rule three is probably dress business casual and act like a normal person.

4) Attending isn’t a bad idea. Staying isn’t a necessity. Making an appearance, glad handing some people, maybe exchanging contact info, and then disappearing isn’t a bad idea.

5) Not a bad idea.

Thank you! I am quite nervous as I am attending alone. Your tips are much appreciated. I need to work on my talking. When I get nervous I tend to talk very fast.
I’m not a big drinker at all, so I am not worried about being drunk lol. Also, married, so no hookups happening. Though even if I wasn’t I can’t imagine thinking it would be a good idea to hookup at one of these things.
Shoot, I was hoping it would be cool to not attend all of them, but it looks like I should at least stop in. Worried I will be really tired because of time difference. When I get really tired I get punchy and say weird things. Must watch for that. Can I send you a DM with a specific question that is too identifying to post?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I am quite nervous as I am attending alone. Your tips are much appreciated. I need to work on my talking. When I get nervous I tend to talk very fast.
I’m not a big drinker at all, so I am not worried about being drunk lol. Also, married, so no hookups happening. Though even if I wasn’t I can’t imagine thinking it would be a good idea to hookup at one of these things.
Shoot, I was hoping it would be cool to not attend all of them, but it looks like I should at least stop in. Worried I will be really tired because of time difference. When I get really tired I get punchy and say weird things. Must watch for that. Can I send you a DM with a specific question that is too identifying to post?
I attended an ACBS conference my first year as a graduate student, before I had any practica experience under my belt. I basically just listened but I remember one situation where they had us break into small groups and role - play certain clinical situations. I was terrified. Fortunately, I survived. Typically the didactics will clarify their intended audience (i.e. Beginner, intermediate). I recommend sticking with mostly beginner level, unless you want to risk getting asked to perform a role-play in front of a group of psychologists!

I will say everyone at that conference was super friendly and didn't question why I was there when I had basically no clinical experience. I also got stuck in an elevator with Steven Hayes!!

Reactions: 1 user
I attended an ACBS conference my first year as a graduate student, before I had any practica experience under my belt. I basically just listened but I remember one situation where they had us break into small groups and role - play certain clinical situations. I was terrified. Fortunately, I survived. Typically the didactics will clarify their intended audience (i.e. Beginner, intermediate). I recommend sticking with mostly beginner level, unless you want to risk getting asked to perform a role-play in front of a group of psychologists!

I will say everyone at that conference was super friendly and didn't question why I was there when I had basically no clinical experience. I also got stuck in an elevator with Steven Hayes!!

That sounds like my worst nightmare! Luckily, this conference won't have any of that. I am not attending any of the workshops that are basically for CE credits and the like. They are the day before the conference begins, so I will be exploring the town.

Reactions: 1 user