ATSU Mesa Arizona / SOMA Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

exmissionary

Anyone else out there? I started a Facebook group for our class and need to see some more activity on it.

Update: <private facebook group deleted>

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to organize a transcontinental softball game between the 2015 classes of KCOM and ATSU-Mesa SOMA. Amarillo, TX seems like a good middle ground, geographically speaking. Best game ever or greatest game ever?

Hello people. I just wanted to get acquainted with some fellow SOMA class of 2015 people out there. I'll be moving to Mesa in Late April. Give me a shout.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello people. I just wanted to get acquainted with some fellow SOMA class of 2015 people out there. I'll be moving to Mesa in Late April. Give me a shout.
Thanks

Hey brag, its good to see some other soma people out there. I tried to get a list of accepted from atsu but they wouldn't get me one. I'm hoping more people check the forums and stuff. Did you join our fb group? I think that may be one of the best ways of getting to know ppl. for now.

Hey brag, its good to see some other soma people out there. I tried to get a list of accepted from atsu but they wouldn't get me one. I'm hoping more people check the forums and stuff. Did you join our fb group? I think that may be one of the best ways of getting to know ppl. for now.

Is that group still open? I tried clicking on the link but it didn't go anywhere except the facebook home.

Is that group still open? I tried clicking on the link but it didn't go anywhere except the facebook home.

The school contacted me on friday and said that they had set up their own facebook group. I decided to delete the non-official one as to keep things simple. Sorry for the confusion, just as long as someone is taking a leading role on getting a group started so we can get in contact with each other.

Good to see you will be in our class. Hope to meet you and get to know you.

I cannot tell you how impressed I was, I felt the admin treated you like royalty. They even called me to thank me for my card and remembered my name and all. Which makes me all the more love this school.

Although I am quite worried in regards to the education once you are in your CHC. I don't know if the faculty they hired or TV conferencing will be good.

Also why is the living cost (according to the AACOM book) much moreexpensive then say some other states like NY, NJ, CA.

Congratulation to the others!!

I cannot tell you how impressed I was, I felt the admin treated you like royalty. They even called me to thank me for my card and remembered my name and all. Which makes me all the more love this school.

Although I am quite worried in regards to the education once you are in your CHC. I don't know if the faculty they hired or TV conferencing will be good.

Also why is the living cost (according to the AACOM book) much moreexpensive then say some other states like NY, NJ, CA.

Congratulation to the others!!
I'm with you, Steph^2. The treatment that the school gave me during the interview and acceptance process was a positive factor in my decision to attend SOMA.

As for the education once you arrive in the CHC, I'm gonna stick my neck out and speak for students beyond myself and say that most SOMAites like it. You are presided over by a couple of preceptors (who are usually existing docs) plus an OMM instructor, all of whom lead discussions at least once per week. I've been plenty pleased with the quality of my preceptors plus the clinical experience. The idea is to integrate book learning (now, more appropriately note-book or laptop learning) with clinical exposure before rotations. As for the second-year curriculum, most of it comes via podcast and powerpoint, which allows you to customize your learning to your speed and needs.

The living cost is more a function IMHO of the school being generous in setting the student budget; you don't have to spend so much if you don't want to or need to. Probably gives flexibility for those with extra expenses such as a mortgage and/or family. Also helps those who go to more expensive CHC sites (some of which also happen to be some of the more popular sites to match to for years 2 to 4). You can jump on craigslist, etc. to get a sense of how much cost of housing is around Mesa; food, gas, etc. seemed reasonable.

Congrats on all acceptances!

I was searching the pre-med threads, and then happily remembered there are these wonderful med school threads :D
I've heard the same about cost of living. They give you some flexibility in financial aid. Some of the current students I'm talking to say that cost of living is actually pretty average. Rent from $600-1200 for apartments near school. Just depends on what you want.
I'm also entertaining the idea of renting a house because I have a dog. If anyone would prefer that over an apt, let me know and we could discuss being roommates :)
As far as the FB group goes, there is an official one. You have to request to join.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=149512488395968

I can't wait for July! I deferred for a year and am SO ready to get back into school. I had no idea how bored I'd be.

Any other accepted students out there that are married? to airmen?

I'm with you, Steph^2. The treatment that the school gave me during the interview and acceptance process was a positive factor in my decision to attend SOMA.

As for the education once you arrive in the CHC, I'm gonna stick my neck out and speak for students beyond myself and say that most SOMAites like it. You are presided over by a couple of preceptors (who are usually existing docs) plus an OMM instructor, all of whom lead discussions at least once per week. I've been plenty pleased with the quality of my preceptors plus the clinical experience. The idea is to integrate book learning (now, more appropriately note-book or laptop learning) with clinical exposure before rotations. As for the second-year curriculum, most of it comes via podcast and powerpoint, which allows you to customize your learning to your speed and needs.

The living cost is more a function IMHO of the school being generous in setting the student budget; you don't have to spend so much if you don't want to or need to. Probably gives flexibility for those with extra expenses such as a mortgage and/or family. Also helps those who go to more expensive CHC sites (some of which also happen to be some of the more popular sites to match to for years 2 to 4). You can jump on craigslist, etc. to get a sense of how much cost of housing is around Mesa; food, gas, etc. seemed reasonable.

Congrats on all acceptances!

Aloha and Congrats on your acceptance 2015! I guarantee that you will like your education here at our wonderful school. I am a 2nd year student doing my clinical experience in the lovely, beautiful weathered Hawaii. Though I am 3000 miles away from our professors, they are very accessible via email and skype. If you did not know, skype can allow you to share your screen when it comes to explaining concepts that you do not grasp.
Also, the clinical opportunities that we gain during the 2nd year has proven very valuable as the 3rd years and 4th years have been able to impress their respective clinicians in their various rotations.
anyway, if you have any questions, message me and i'll get back to you as soon as i can. Mahalo.

Just got my acceptance yesterday I loved SOMA during my interview. I'll be moving to Mesa from Dallas mid-June. Does anyone know how much the first deposit yet? I haven't received my actual letter they just called me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my acceptance yesterday I loved SOMA during my interview. I'll be moving to Mesa from Dallas mid-June. Does anyone know how much the first deposit yet? I haven't received my actual letter they just called me.

It's two payments of $1000 each. They're separated by a few months though -- my first payment was due January 3rd, my second payment's not due til May 1st. And both payments ($2000 total) are put towards your first tuition payment if you actually end up going to SOMA.

Just got acceptance call Friday...Feels so good! Looking forward to starting class.

Anyone looking for Roommate?

Does anyone know anything about match list for this years graduating class. This information is vital in making my decision to attend this school or not.

Man, waiting for the call was rough. Thankfully, they called Friday. Now I am trying to figure out how to finance this whole event. Wow, it seems more expensive when it is a reality!

read somewhere that first match list for SOMA will be available 2/14.

Not sure if information is accurate but it's what I found.

Hey, if anyone here has a question about the curriculum, living arrangements, or legitimate concerns/anxiety about attending ATSU-SOMA...just ask...I'm a second year.

Just got the call today!!! Really excited to meet everyone. I live 10 minutes from campus and know the area pretty well so if anyone has questions regarding housing or anything else, let me know.

Just got the call today!!! Really excited to meet everyone. I live 10 minutes from campus and know the area pretty well so if anyone has questions regarding housing or anything else, let me know.

The school gave us a LONG list of apartments in the area. Can you recommend any of them? Certain residential areas that are superior? Thanks!

Congratulations SOMA class of 2015. This is a great school! I am in the class of 2014 and will be renting out my house. If any of you are in need of a place to live next year let me know. It has three bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, two car garage, yard and washer/dryer/fridge. It is in east mesa, about seven miles from campus and right on the 202 freeway. It would be perfect for a family or for a couple of people to go in together. We are asking 900.00 per month. If interested shoot me an email at [email protected].

The school gave us a LONG list of apartments in the area. Can you recommend any of them? Certain residential areas that are superior? Thanks!

I am also very interested in housing. Where is best? I'd love to be close to school, in something with 3 bedrooms.

Just got accepted as well, can't wait! I'll be moving down in early to mid-June most likely.

This was my top pick pre-interview, and the only school I wanted post-interview. Couldn't have asked for a better outcome.

Does anybody now what the policy on deferment is?
I think I will need to defer for one year so my wife can finish her Masters :oops: but I don't know how strict they'll be about it.
Perhaps PreDOMD2010? What was your experience with deferment like?

Thanks

read somewhere that first match list for SOMA will be available 2/14.

Not sure if information is accurate but it's what I found.

Half of my class just matched in the ACGME match this past week. The official match list wont be out for weeks at the earliest. Based on an informal list created, and the posts on FB, SOMAs first class has a pretty impressive Match list.

I am definitely proud of what my class has done so far! You new acceptances have some big shoes to fill! ;)

You have made a very good choice. Good luck!

not accepted yet. on the alt list but wanted to say congrats to you all on gaining acceptance to such an amazing place. I really hope I can join you next year!

As far as the class of 2014, a whole bunch of us live at Colonial Grand - it's just the most convenient as far as distance to school (5 minutes out the door and into your chair in Cougar). :laugh: Rent comes with cable and one covered parking, pay your own electricity, water, internet. (You can try and catch the free wireless from the business center, but that really depends on how far you are from the main office, and it's not as fast)

Advice - don't live too far away... !

Check the student listings online via the ATSU portal later on (May?). Everyone leaving will be selling a whole bunch of stuff and there will be a few house or room rentals posted (if they're not taken already via word of mouth).

I'd recommend living in Colonia as well. It is only 10 minute bike ride from campus. And Colonia is BEAUTIFUL

Does anybody know when the CHC selection takes place? I remember during my interview(beginning of December) that the students had already found out where they would be their 2nd year.

We found out just before thanksgiving. The process starts around October (I think) with CHC presentations and then the actual match is a 3 week process with 2 rounds of fake matches followed by a real one. Then after that students can switch around to open spots if there are still any or switch with other students. I'm not sure if there is a end date for this, as some of our classmates have switched around recently if spots open up for various reasons.

Does anybody know when the CHC selection takes place? I remember during my interview(beginning of December) that the students had already found out where they would be their 2nd year.

We found out just before thanksgiving. The process starts around October (I think) with CHC presentations and then the actual match is a 3 week process with 2 rounds of fake matches followed by a real one. Then after that students can switch around to open spots if there are still any or switch with other students. I'm not sure if there is a end date for this, as some of our classmates have switched around recently if spots open up for various reasons.

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it.

Hello everyone!

I will be moving to Mesa in the beginning of June and am very excited about it!

I do not have a Facebook account so I just wanted to post this and say Hello to everyone else in the c/o 2015.

Where are people looking into as far as housing? (Someone previously mentioned the Colonial Grand.)

Anyways, hope all is well!

CG @ Iverness will by my new home! I'm sure there will be a lot of us.....:)

Just wondering if most of you found a place to live yet?

Hello! Just got the word today that I'm officially in for the Class of 2015! Just wanted to stop by and say hi, but it seems that this particular school thread isn't very lively. Oh well, I look forward to meeting you all this July! :)

The school contacted me on friday and said that they had set up their own facebook group. I decided to delete the non-official one as to keep things simple. Sorry for the confusion, just as long as someone is taking a leading role on getting a group started so we can get in contact with each other.

Good to see you will be in our class. Hope to meet you and get to know you.
Try not to friend the school on FB. They are very big brother-ish and have friend-ed students in the past in order to spy on them. Best to keep your professional and social lives separate. By all means, use a professional FB acct if you can't resist.

Try not to friend the school on FB. They are very big brother-ish and have friend-ed students in the past in order to spy on them. Best to keep your professional and social lives separate. By all means, use a professional FB acct if you can't resist.

Not sure where you're getting your info from but this couldn't be further from the truth!

What bone do you have to pick with SOMA? I noticed you tried trashing the Pre-DO SOMA thread with misinformation as well!