ATSU-KCOM Class of 2015.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicoBoomstick

Groovy
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congratulations. Awesomeness surrounds us all. First order of business is to organize a transcontinental softball game against ATSU-Mesa Campus SOMA and come up with a cool team name. I vote Blue Mongooses. After that. i'm out of ideas.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations. Awesomeness surrounds us all. First order of business is to organize a transcontinental softball game against ATSU-Mesa Campus SOMA and come up with a cool team name. I vote Blue Mongooses. After that. i'm out of ideas.

We actually have a Rotator Cuff Basketball Tournament each spring in which ATSU-Mesa and KCUMB send teams to play us. It is a lot of fun!

Members don't see this ad :)
We actually have a Rotator Cuff Basketball Tournament each spring in which ATSU-Mesa and KCUMB send teams to play us. It is a lot of fun!

We actually invite teams from anywhere. If you have friends at other medical schools, let me know, we would love to have them visit our Land of Perpetual Pleasant Living...

Well I've paid my deposit. Looking forward to starting school here. :thumbup:

I think most people who got in, myself included, are still convinced it's a clerical error :laugh:

This page, as well as the facebook group, serve only to excite those who already feel as though they are on the precipice of disappointment. Actually I don't believe that, just wanted to write something kinda depressing:D

I think what our thread needs is a stronger purpose. Since SDN is about some level of aninemity, lets start with this; What is everyone most excited about and also most apprehensive about?

I'll go.

I am most excited about FINALLY starting the dam med school train; the sooner it starts, the sooner I can get off and move on to residency. I am most apprehensive about regaining the study skills I have lost (Haven't been in school for the past two years, dn't think I even know how to read anymore. Seriously illiterate). I am hoping the first few weeks are calm enough so I and other 'non-traditional' students can catch up to all you younglings who are fresh from undergrad.

Lets see if that gets the ball rolling, oh and I love, LOVE, American Dad.

I think most people who got in, myself included, are still convinced it's a clerical error :laugh:

This page, as well as the facebook group, serve only to excite those who already feel as though they are on the precipice of disappointment. Actually I don't believe that, just wanted to write something kinda depressing:D

I think what our thread needs is a stronger purpose. Since SDN is about some level of aninemity, lets start with this; What is everyone most excited about and also most apprehensive about?

I'll go.

I am most excited about FINALLY starting the dam med school train; the sooner it starts, the sooner I can get off and move on to residency. I am most apprehensive about regaining the study skills I have lost (Haven't been in school for the past two years, dn't think I even know how to read anymore. Seriously illiterate). I am hoping the first few weeks are calm enough so I and other 'non-traditional' students can catch up to all you younglings who are fresh from undergrad.

Lets see if that gets the ball rolling, oh and I love, LOVE, American Dad.

Do you have the link to the facebook group for KCOM class of 2015?

And yea i'm definitely most excited for finially getting back to school and acutally attending classes again. I've also been away from school for two years, but I work at a hospital so i've been around the medical environment. Hopefully my study skill are still intact lol!

Do you have the link to the facebook group for KCOM class of 2015?

And yea i'm definitely most excited for finially getting back to school and acutally attending classes again. I've also been away from school for two years, but I work at a hospital so i've been around the medical environment. Hopefully my study skill are still intact lol!

This link should get you there, http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=132016786847494 , but i think you have to be approved before you can join.

I've been rotting as a unit secretary on an OB floor for the past two years (i feel your pain of being so close but so far away) and am looking forward to being little fish in a big pond.

Interviewed at KCOM on 2/7/11...

Interviews were very laid back and everyone was genuinely nice. It was amazing to see the town and university in which Osteopathic Medicine began. The Osteopathic Museum was neat too, holding a lot of Dr. A.T. Still's original instruments. However, A.T. Still's original house was burnt down last winter. I think the students and alum should help to rebuild it!!!
Haven't heard back on if I'm accepted yet, let me know if anyone has any questions about interviews...

Last edited:
Accepted! I think this is my first choice, I feel a real tug towards this school, everyone was wonderful :) Can't wait to meet all my future classmates!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! I think this is my first choice, I feel a real tug towards this school, everyone was wonderful :) Can't wait to meet all my future classmates!

Congrats to you and what i'm sure are a great deal of lurkers who haven't said anything or made a screen name yet :D

I'm looking forward to the 19th as well. You'll all recognize me as the gentlemen being brought in encapsulated in a plastic egg, carried by 4 men in gold spandex. http://goo.gl/vvsqv

Thanks broomstick, haha you'll make quite an entrance in your cocoon!

Anybody else get a card in the mail from ATSU? Mine is written in nearly uncomprehending doctor's handwriting (The only reason I know it's a doc is next to where the signature is, I can make out a 'DO')? I think it is wishing me luck, or maybe cursing me out in the doctor's own secret language he developed by being separated from human contact for too long. Ether way, i'm cool with it.

Yeah, I got one of those as well and have yet to get a chance to research what doc might have sent it.

I've already moved to the area (just a couple hours from home) so if anyone needs some help or info with relocating just give me a shout.

Anybody else get a card in the mail from ATSU? Mine is written in nearly uncomprehending doctor's handwriting (The only reason I know it's a doc is next to where the signature is, I can make out a 'DO')? I think it is wishing me luck, or maybe cursing me out in the doctor's own secret language he developed by being separated from human contact for too long. Ether way, i'm cool with it.

I've been on hold at KCOM since October, I don't know what to think about that? :confused: It's getting pretty late in the cycle so I'm not sure what to expect - anybody else out there in this situation? :xf:

On hold?!? Since October?!?

I suggest you hang up the phone and call them back. I think they forgot about you on the other line.

For 'on hold', do you mean wait list post interview waiting to hear from them, you are on the wait list for this year, or you have been accepting pending room in this class?

By "on hold" (their words not mine), it's post-secondary/pre-interview....basically don't want to deny me yet but don't want to give an interview yet, if at all. Apparently it's a popular option for applicants because i'm on hold at 4 schools (i guess that's better than a straight up denial :()

If you read the rest of my posts, you will see im an upbeat, glass half full kind of guy, but i think KCOM is giving you a bum deal. The first time I applied I got the same thing and it sucked so hard. Made me feel stupid/foolish/not pretty. Second time around I applied to KCOM and found a home.

I would keep your cool, but start making alternative plans for next year and get ready to reapply. PM me if you want some tips on reapplying or anything else.

Mahalo,

MB

I'm accepted! I'm pretty sure I'll be going to KCOM. Just sent in the admission agreement and deposit. Looking forward to figuring out relocation arrangements and meeting future classmates.

Why do we have the lowest number of people replying in our class thread. IS everyone not pumped up? Anyways, i'm going for a tour tomorrow to reconfirm my decision I never got to tour the school damn snow storm.

Why do we have the lowest number of people replying in our class thread. IS everyone not pumped up? Anyways, i'm going for a tour tomorrow to reconfirm my decision I never got to tour the school damn snow storm.

I HAVE NO IDEA!!!

My gift to you.

:banana::zip::boom::boom::boom::boom::zip::zip: :banana::banana:

Enjoy your tour, Go to woody's (wooden nickel) Tell them JC sent you.

Once they are done beating you for 'forgotten gambling debts', they'll tell you everything about K-Vegas.

Hope you choose KCOM. Or maybe I don't, i know nothing about you.

Mahalo,

MB

I'm EXTREMELY pumped, I hope more people start bumping this thread. Let us know how the tour goes. I toured the school right before it started snowing heavily and barely got out of Kirksville. I'd like to go back for a second tour and see more of Kirksville later on. Does anyone know where they'd like to live? On-campus or off-campus?

To liven things up:

You can ask an upperclassman one question....go.

(I'm avoiding finals...)

To liven things up:

You can ask an upperclassman one question....go.

(I'm avoiding finals...)

Good luck on finals. Do you have any regrets or things you would do differently from pre-matriculation to where you are now? Any other advice for a new student entering into the class of 2015? Much appreciated!

Good luck on finals. Do you have any regrets or things you would do differently from pre-matriculation to where you are now? Any other advice for a new student entering into the class of 2015? Much appreciated!

No regrets but a few tidbits of advice for your upcoming spring/summer.

1. DO NOT STUDY. Do not even rationalize looking at a textbook that has pictures of formulas, structures, pathways, or body parts. Anything you may learn will be covered in the first day of lecture and you wasted perfectly good free time.

2. Read. If you don't like to read, try to find something you enjoy. Once you start school reading for pleasure will cease. Plus, if you're a good reader, it makes studying a bit better.

3. Learn how to cook. I can't tell you how disappointing it is to come home and make a turkey sandwich every day for lunch. One of the best meals I made was in a pinch with ramen, cheese, canned corn, and salsa. Find easy, quick things you can make from basic ingredients.

4. Get into a workout routine. Just by spending 30 mins at the gym this afternoon I don't feel nearly as lazy or as guilty about the mound of M&M's I've consumed tonight.

5. Get a pet. If you like animals that is. I didn't have one last year, and now I can't imagine my life without him. It makes study breaks that much more enjoyable. (Unless you are married or have kids, same rule applies there)

6. If you can afford it, vacation. Even if its a weekend camping trip. Enjoy any and all the free, unstressed time you can. I can't even tell you how much we would all love for just a day to do nothing and not feel bad about it.

7. Enjoy your favorite beverage of choice as often as you can.

8. Spend as much time as possible with those you won't see once you start school. I have friends back home I wish I could spend more time with.

9. If you feel like you MUST do something....look into 3rd year rotation sites. Never hurts to have an idea where you'd like to go so you aren't scrambling at the last minute to decide.

10. Sleep. Period.

I'm sure I could come up with more, this was just my 5 minute study break.

More questions are welcome!

These are great tips, seriously. Thanks a lot for just taking the time to give a young up-and-comer some advice. I've been looking at getting a dog. What about living arrangement for first and second year? Anything to say on that? I have a question for anyone who might know. How often does the list of rotation sites change, for instance, from the list they gave us at the interview?

These are great tips, seriously. Thanks a lot for just taking the time to give a young up-and-comer some advice. I've been looking at getting a dog. What about living arrangement for first and second year? Anything to say on that? I have a question for anyone who might know. How often does the list of rotation sites change, for instance, from the list they gave us at the interview?

A few more that came to me:
-When school starts: Get involved! Join clubs, do intramurals, take leadership roles, etc. Yes school is important but so is being a real person and not a machine.
-Take a day/night off. For me its Fridays. Once we are out of class I don't look at a thing until Saturday afternoon.

I live alone (besides the cat). I was leery about agreeing to live with someone I didn't know. I also study best alone/sans distractions. I have friends who have roommates and love it so to each their own.

Rotation sites will change all the way up to and maybe even past the match. We had new sites add after the match as well as current sites add spots. That was only one or two instances though, for the most part once the fall of your 2nd year rolls around they are pretty much set. But just be aware they can always change.

A few more that came to me:
-When school starts: Get involved! Join clubs, do intramurals, take leadership roles, etc. Yes school is important but so is being a real person and not a machine.
-Take a day/night off. For me its Fridays. Once we are out of class I don't look at a thing until Saturday afternoon.

I live alone (besides the cat). I was leery about agreeing to live with someone I didn't know. I also study best alone/sans distractions. I have friends who have roommates and love it so to each their own.

Rotation sites will change all the way up to and maybe even past the match. We had new sites add after the match as well as current sites add spots. That was only one or two instances though, for the most part once the fall of your 2nd year rolls around they are pretty much set. But just be aware they can always change.

Man, this thread freakin' EXPLODED. Awesome.

Are there and official or unofficial military medicine clubs for the students?

Also, the first day of classes do we actually need anything besides laptop and pen/paper, or should we already have books and all the necessary stuffs?

Man, this thread freakin' EXPLODED. Awesome.

Are there and official or unofficial military medicine clubs for the students?

Also, the first day of classes do we actually need anything besides laptop and pen/paper, or should we already have books and all the necessary stuffs?

and what "specific computer" do we need? we just need to be able to run window's based programs?

and what "specific computer" do we need? we just need to be able to run window's based programs?

The facebook group for the 2015 class had some good information on this. The sort and long was that alot of people use mac, they just have to run a windows emulator for a couple programs. I think KCOM can get you the emulator.

I can't wait for the first stillabration. it's a big founders day festival with booze and free food.

The facebook group for the 2015 class had some good information on this. The sort and long was that alot of people use mac, they just have to run a windows emulator for a couple programs. I think KCOM can get you the emulator.

I can't wait for the first stillabration. it's a big founders day festival with booze and free food.

that sounds about right, haha. when is it?

that sounds about right, haha. when is it?

It's usually late september/early october i think. It's super sweet. pretty much all the students get hammered and play touch football while your teachers get hammered and watch us play touch football, some even join in.

Oh, and maybe the best part, there usually is a talent show / music festival going on inside while you are drinking and eating grilled delights. It's like the 7th birthday party you always wanted, not that cr@p/fest we all got at the bowling ally.

Last edited:
It's usually late september/early october i think. It's super sweet. pretty much all the students get hammered and play touch football while your teachers get hammered and watch us play touch football, some even join in.

Oh, and maybe the best part, there usually is a talent show / music festival going on inside while you are drinking and eating grilled delights. It's like the 7th birthday party you always wanted, not that cr@p/fest we all got at the bowling ally.

Ha ha...well Stillabration/Founder's Day is a lot like Homecoming. But I wouldn't describe it how you did. There is a powderpuff game between the 1st and 2nd year women. There is also a BBQ that evening. But I wouldn't say it gets that wild.

You will get specs for a computer over the summer and such. I have a Dell that runs Vista from 2007 and I survived just fine.

SAMOPS is the military med club on campus. There is pretty much a club for any interest. http://mosga.atsu.edu/?page_id=305

First day of class I would bring your computer/paper to write on. I rarely take my PC to class so thats a personal preference. You get any and all note packets in class. First day is a lot of intro stuff. Trust me, they will make sure you know where you are going, what you need to wear, and what you should have with you that first week or so.

Don't buy books unless you really really need them. There will be discussion about this when you get here too. Upperclassmen will sell you theirs or you don't really need that many. Military kids though, buy all of them because you can.

Hi all -

I'm looking at real estate and am planning on buying a house in Kirksville. Any advice from anyone on location or anything else? How much does location really matter in kirksville? :shrug:

I've been looking at places from 4-15minutes away from campus but really want to keep it under a 10 minute drive...

Looking forward to becoming part of the founding osteopathic medical school! :smuggrin::nod::smuggrin:

Hi all -

I'm looking at real estate and am planning on buying a house in Kirksville. Any advice from anyone on location or anything else? How much does location really matter in kirksville? :shrug:

I've been looking at places from 4-15minutes away from campus but really want to keep it under a 10 minute drive...

Looking forward to becoming part of the founding osteopathic medical school! :smuggrin::nod::smuggrin:

I've been looking for a house for about a month now with mixed results (Getting closer, I can feel it).

In Kirksville, there are very few places you will find on the market that are farther than a ten minute drive, so you should be good there.

If there were an area of kirksville I would recommend staying away from it would be the northeast side of truman's campus, usually davis and halliburton streets. these are WAY to close to the frat houses and you are pretty much guaranteed loud weekends and trash in your yard.

That, and many, many houses in kirksville have something wrong with them or about about to, so keep an open mind :)

Seeing as it has been a few days since a post, I wanted to give you all something to do with your nervous energy (I have much to spare). Here is a website called http://www.instructables.com/index that is full of fun and easy how-tos and do-it-your selfs. For me, this website has been a lifesaver.

I'm working on Ammo Box Speakers right now, hope to have them done by the end of the week. Oh and if you are in Kirksville this Friday or Saturday, make your way to Pickler's Famous at 7pm for a free improv show put on by Tag Improv (Truman's improv student group). Beer will be available. I shall be there, drunk off my ass.

So I was accepted at KCOM but was debating back and forth between that and a school out here in Cali. I loved Kirsville so much that I gave up the beach and the nice weather. I am looking for a place right now, most likely renting. Haven't found the right place yet, but I figure I still have awhile until all the good stuff gets taken. So on the facebook page it says classes start the 10th of Aug.? Is that right? I had thought it was the 19th.

So I was accepted at KCOM but was debating back and forth between that and a school out here in Cali. I loved Kirsville so much that I gave up the beach and the nice weather. I am looking for a place right now, most likely renting. Haven't found the right place yet, but I figure I still have awhile until all the good stuff gets taken. So on the facebook page it says classes start the 10th of Aug.? Is that right? I had thought it was the 19th.

On different literature there had been a few dates thrown around. Andrea over on the Fb page is definitely in the loop (I'm pretty sure she is the loop) so i'd say the 10th will be our start to orientation. The 19th was the start of orientation from the KCOM website calendar, but has since been changed I think.

Congrats on picking K-Vegas, woop!