Atomic Model - TBR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mei

Do Re Mei
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm confused...

In my Kaplan class we talked about relationships between energy levels and Z and n. So as the principal quantum number, n, increases, so does the energy. Such that E is directly proportional to n, and inversely proportional to Z.

In Chapter 2, p. 81 of TBR, equation 2.3 states that Energy is inversely proportional to n and directly to Z.

I'm sure I'm missing something here...are they referring to something different?

Members don't see this ad.

When we're talking about the energy of an electron flying around its orbital, what it is really referring to is how strongly it is being pulled by the positive nucleus. As we get farther away from the nucleus, this electrostatic attraction decreases (just like the gravitational pull between planets). So at higher energy levels the energy of the electron should be lower than in lower energy levels since higher energy levels = electron is farther from the nucleus, resulting in a decreased attractive force.

Don't confuse this with the energy absorbed by a photon by an electron to excite it to a higher energy level (where to get to a higher energy level you would need the electron to absorb more energy from a photon).