Atls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future EM?

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you know how hard it is to pass this class? Should you read thebook before getting to class? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Almost half of the class that I was in failed either the written or practical test, or both. Definitely read the book.

glad you brought this up- I have to take it for my program next week and certainly don't want to fail. Future EM, I don't know if you have looked through the book yet but it is not too bad of a read (I think a bit easier to get through than ACLS). Though granted, I haven't gotten quite halfway through yet- I'll have to chip away a little faster this week.

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an ATLS instructor, and i can tell you that yes, lots of people do fail ATLS. Yes, you should read the book before you take the course (there will be no time to read once you start the 2 day course). That being said however, most of the surgery and EM residents that take the course do pass. The "others" that take the course seem more likely to fail. Also, if you plan to take the instructors course at a later date, then you will need to score a 90% or higher on the written test, and will have to be deemed an "instructor candidate" by the instructors and be invited to do the instructors course.

not that i'm expecting to, but is it a big deal if you fail? For ACLS and BLS, if you fail the test, you just repeat it on the spot, after receiving the answers. Do they do that with ATLS? or do you have to take the entire course over?

I have to take the ATLS course in 2 weeks. I'm glad people are saying it's hard, because I'll use that as motivation. I didn't know about the 90% thing. Maybe I'll try to get that so I can instruct in the future.

I read about 1/2 of the book so far. Seems like review. I guess it depends what med school you came from. I went to a very heavy Trauma program.

Hey folks,
does every program require ATLS cert for 1st years? My program has only scheduled for B/ACLS recert and has said nothing about ATLS. Where can I get a manual -- all the usual (B&N, Amazon) do not have any available? Thanks