atlantic bridge -- what's in it for them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lola

Bovine Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any info on atlantic bridge? i'm just curious why they do this. do they want to help north americans who can't get into u.s. med schools? are they making money off us? etc... i am just wondering exactly who they are and why they do this. i noticed they are a dot com rather than dot org.

Members don't see this ad.

hey there,
i'm not sure what vested interest AB has in all this, but what i do find interesting is that up until 1998 or 1999, it was TOTALLY FREE to apply through AB....hell of a jump in price to $75 USD per school...

I was kind of wondering about this, too. There has got to be something in it for them. The program does seem pretty $$$ motivated. While in Ireland I could not get a tour of the school, sit in on classes, etc. They basically made it seem like "if you want the spot, take it, otherwise we need a deposit from someone else ASAP." I am not downing the program, because I realize it has to be this way due to all of the international stuff. I just got the feeling that they did not care much about who was taking the spot at their school, as long as they forked over $3400. Anyways, regarding AB, I would imagine they get some kind of kickback for bringing these schools Int. students who are paying 22,000 Euros Tuition. If your an EU student, I think it is only about 2,000 Euros. AB probably sees some of that $$$.

Members don't see this ad :)
you could not get a tour of the school or anything? :( aww man, that sucks!
according to trinity's website, the fees for a non-eu med student for 2001-2002 are 14,700 irish pounds = 18,669 euros using their multiplication factor (1.27) for other amounts of money on their website.
18,669 euros -- that doesn't sound too much off of ab's info since tuition has gone up recently. can't remember ab's exact numbers.

Apparently AB is owned by TCD, UCD, RCSI and UCC and is purely a North American presence for these schools for recruitment for their "cultural diversity" programmes in the health sciences.

Last year EU students at Trinity paid EUR 5,300 (if they weren't covered by the "free fees initiative") and over the last few years it has risen in line with the non-EU fees. EU students are subsidised by the Irish government whereas international students aren't hence the difference in fees.

Well that makes sense if AB is owned by the schools...and as far as foreign students paying through the nose, that's fair...I mean it's done everywhere...I know visa students in Canada pay through the nose while we get subsidized...just have to suck it up and pay I guess...

yeah, that makes sense. i just did an internet search & ab doesn't seem like a scam or anything :).
i was just wondering if you went directly through the schools rather than going through ab if it would cost less, but that doesn't seem to be the case (or maybe even possible).

I don't really think they have a profiteering motive. Obviously, they need to get paid. But I don't think $75 is too much to ask for each school. Think about how many mailings they have to do, photocopying costs, materials costs, phone calls!!! It's got to add up when they've got hundreds of people to look after. And I don't think they stop after you get in, either. They keep track of all successful applicants and mail grant stuff every year, etc. Especially when you consider that if you stay in the states and apply to say just 5 schools, each school charges aroung $50 or more for a primary application, and then some charge more for a secondary. I think ABs not in the wrong for charging that application fee.

As several posters mentioned the cost to attend med school in Ireland is significantly higher for out of towners. Americans represent a cash cow for these med schools. I'm not sure how having a handful of Americans adds "cultural diversity" to Ireland/Irish med schools... But it's clear that you guys add financial diversity.

I doubt that it really adds much cost to irish med schools to add a few Americans to their classes. But that extra 10-20K euros probably comes in handy.

As for the 75$ fee. It's comparable to AMCAS fees. Applying to med school in the U.S. is a serious cash machine. Take for example a well-known private med school in the south. When I applied, they received about 8000 apps. Their secondary fee was 80 dollars. That's 640,000 dollars from applicants. I know for a fact that this granted interviews based on MCAT/GPA cutoff because I was told as much AFTER I sent in my secondary. Their cutoff system allowed them to interview about 400 people for their class. Therefore, they knew going in that 6600 applicants would be summarily rejected. Conveniently the school failed to mention the cutoff on the secondary app. But then, why would it if it meant losing over 500,000 dollars from hapless applicants who had ZERO chance from the get-go. As for me, my rejection letter was dated 2 weeks before my canceled check was.

Just remember that paying a fee doesn't guarantee anything, and that when schools say they want "diversity" what they really might be saying is "we want the diversity of a fat wallet". You have to question a system that gives you preference based on your ability to pay way more than other students.

Originally posted by Celiac Plexus
You have to question a system that gives you preference based on your ability to pay way more than other students.

Err...admission to an Irish medical school is based on academic and non-academic achievement...not a candidates ability to pay the tuition :)

The reason Irish med schools target non-EU students is that by law all Irish med schools have a quota for EU students (which hasn't increased since 1978). Most EU students don't pay fees, the med schools collect the fees from the Government on their behalf. So, in a time of increasing costs and shrinking Goverment subsidy, the med schools can gain extra income from non-EU students. North Americans are targeted in particular because they can afford the tuition or can get loans to cover tuition. The size of loans that many of the North Americans in my class have are totally unheard of in Ireland/UK - the banks just won't entertain it!

Originally posted by Trinners
Err...admission to an Irish medical school is based on academic and non-academic achievement...not a candidates ability to pay the tuition :)

The reason Irish med schools target non-EU students is that by law all Irish med schools have a quota for EU students (which hasn't increased since 1978). Most EU students don't pay fees, the med schools collect the fees from the Government on their behalf. So, in a time of increasing costs and shrinking Goverment subsidy, the med schools can gain extra income from non-EU students. North Americans are targeted in particular because they can afford the tuition or can get loans to cover tuition. The size of loads that many of the North Americans in my class have are totally unheard of in Ireland/UK - the banks just won't entertain it!

My point exactly. Irish med schools go out of their way to get Americans because of their ability to pay. You don't see them recruiting Ethiopians, or Bangladeshis as hard as the recruit Americans do you? I would hazard to say that an Ethiopian or two, or a Bangladeshi here and there might add a whole lot more "diversity" than a planeload of Americans (God bless us!) Americans therefore have de facto admission preference by virtue of being able to take out loans and pay a huge euro fee. "Greenback" diversity at its purest.

i agree with you celiac, but i also think the american students get a lot out of their education in ireland. in a way they are being ripped off (b/c they are charged a lot more than their eu counterparts), but they would be paying that much in the states & the schools are very well respected irish universities so it doesn't bother me that much.

Celiac, too cynical. I don't really think they do a recruiting push in the US at all. I certainly didn't hear about AB until I personally started looking into Irish schools because I took the initiative to want to apply to Irish schools. They didn't recruit. We are being "ripped off," and they do want us for our money, but a lot of that has to do with us being non-eu. There's a whole different set of legal and economical laws. And personally, I don't care that much because my education here is still cheaper than what it would have costed to continue on at CWRU.

Now, there's 60 irish and 60 international students in each 2nd year class at Trinity. Of those 60 internationals, about 15 of us are north american (more Canadian). The rest are mainly Malaysian (who have twinning programs, etc). THere are a couple Mauritians, a couple from Australia, some from Singapore. Others have some from India. A couple from African countries like Botswana. I'd say most of the international contingent are Malaysian, though. So they're not specifically targeting North Americans and milking them. While they do probably try to get non-EU's for the money purposes, they don't rely that much on North American support. Get your facts straight before you make accusations and judgments like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I discussed Atlantic Bridge with one of the Deans of the Irish medical schools at an alumi gathering in Boston last year. It IS owned by the schools. However, its job is NOT to "recruit" American students. They don't need to do any recruiting at all. The US office was established because the admissions offices in Ireland could not handle the number of applications they were receiving from the US and Canada every year.

As far as fees are concerned. When I applied in 1992 I paid an application fee. It has never been free. How could they operate if it were free? Can you imagine how many applications they would receive? Thousands, I would think. $75 is reasonable and Atlantic Bridge are very efficient. They were more helpful than 99% of the US schools I applied to and they have been very good at communicating with my sister who has applied for admission this Fall.

The tuition fees reflect the actual "economic" cost of running the medical schools. Although EU students pay less out of their own pocket than Americans their governments pay the remainder of the actual cost to the schools. So, the school receives the entire "actual cost" from each student. In other words, if the tuition fees are 20,000 Euros an Irish/EU resident will pay about 5,000 Euros out of his/her own pocket but the school will collect the remaining 15,000 from his/her government. There is no difference between the economic fees for an Irish/EU student and an American one. You can't expect the Irish medical schools to educate Americans and Canadians for less than the economic cost. So, you see, nobody is being "ripped off".

Finally, the Irish schools actually don't have to accept any North American students at all. There are many wealthy Malaysians, Australians, Middle Easterners, etc. who can easily pay the fees. In addition, a number of governments (e.g. Finland, Saudi Arabia, etc.) contract with the Irish government to send their best students to medical school in Ireland. Look at The Royal College of Surgeons. It takes the largest number of international students. It's the most expensive of the Irish schools and it's packed with international students. Americans and Canadians are not the only game in town if they were simply looking for money. They could fill their schools with Saudi Arabians at twice the price.

So, as Leorl so eloquently said "Get your facts straight".

Des

Looks like I touched a nerve with the Irish crowd...

A couple of clarifications:

1. I did not use the term "ripped off". In fact, I don't believe international students get "ripped off" at Irish schools. Something is worth what someone will pay for it. If you feel that you are getting value for the xx thousands of euros then you are not being ripped off.

2. If Irish state schools are like US state schools then they get a set amount of money every year as determined by the legislative body. For example at my state school, they take about 120 or so students. as mandated by the state constitution. The state calculates how much these students cost to educate and then allots money to the school for their education. I would guess that Irish schools work in the same way. Therefore, international students are simply extra revenue streams. Accepting some foreign students might raise the cost somewhat in terms of putting some extra seats in the lecture halls, or investing in a few more microscopes, but the rest is pure profit for the schools.

3. Obviously some poor person, with no access to loans is not going to be able to afford an Irish medical school education. Therefore Americans, Saudis, and whoever else can afford the steep tuition gets de facto admission preference based on their ability to pay.

Cheers.

2. If Irish state schools are like US state schools then they get a set amount of money every year as determined by the legislative body. For example at my state school, they take about 120 or so students. as mandated by the state constitution. The state calculates how much these students cost to educate and then allots money to the school for their education. I would guess that Irish schools work in the same way. Therefore, international students are simply extra revenue streams. Accepting some foreign students might raise the cost somewhat in terms of putting some extra seats in the lecture halls, or investing in a few more microscopes, but the rest is pure profit for the schools.

3. Obviously some poor person, with no access to loans is not going to be able to afford an Irish medical school education. Therefore Americans, Saudis, and whoever else can afford the steep tuition gets de facto admission preference based on their ability to pay.

Cheers.

Yeah, hmm...that whole premise is under debate right now, actually. First off, I don't think that international money can really be seen as pure profit. All the Irish universities are hurting at the moment because of government cutback to third level institutions. I don't think I quite understand the situation, but what happened was that the universities used to require all students to pay full fees (tuition), and what that did was make college an elitist privilege. It's something we are used to in the US, but one thing I've found here is that the Irish are very contemptuous of elitism (yes, even those of us here at Trinity :) ). Then, several years ago with the booming celtic tiger and a great economy, the government and schools said, "Look, things are going really well now. Lets subsidize all university education so that people wanting to go to college only have to pay a very minimal fee (several hundred), and so that not only the rich families have the capability of sending their kids to college." Great concept, but now that worldwide economy is faltering, the government has cut back funding to third level institutions and are talking about reintroducing fees. If this happens, I predict that there will be a huge dropout rate because I don't know how any of my classmates could afford going from paying 600 to paying 20,000. They won't reintroduce fees next year, but the cutback has hurt - most colleges are under a hiring freeze. They can't even re-employ professors whose contracts are up, or who have some reason left (deceased). It's a pretty hard situation.

Thus, I don't really see international students as a source of profit. Des explained in his post above quite well the subsidation of money that non-eu's can't take advantage of. Sure, they want to make sure to get people who can pay. But I don't think they put that over the quality of the student. These people don't know your financial situation until after they have accepted you and demand the deposit. I'm sure maybe each year they get several thousand from people who pay the deposit and don't end up coming. But in running a whole college, several thousand is tiddlywinks.

Originally posted by leorl

Thus, I don't really see international students as a source of profit. These people don't know your financial situation until after they have accepted you and demand the deposit.

Just being American is a qualification in and of itself. Irish med schools know that Americans have access to loans that can cover the tuition. By demanding a 4 digit deposit up front just shows what an emphasis that Irish schools place on the ability of applicants to pay.

Again, I really don't know why it's so hard for people to understand what I am saying: Wealthy individuals who can afford the huge euro proce tag of Irish universities have de facto admission preference. And, I would be cautious about any academic institution that gave any admissions preference based on an applicant's ability to pay that huge tuition. DesOmalley said it best..."Finally, ...There are many wealthy Malaysians, Australians, Middle Easterners, etc. who can easily pay the fees."

Be wary...

What is so dambnedly difficult to get here? It sounds as if you have been embittered by this whole process. Well let me just say this, as an AMERICAN who has very little money and as one who has "a little" experience with medical schools.

1. The AB people provide a useful service. Be grateful that we don?t have to run ourselves crazy as hell trying to work with each school independently, and lets face it, the AB route is much more stream lined than the AMCAS. If we want something to be questioning let us give an honest and hard look at the "in-your-face" profiting that happens here under the guise of "making the process easier for the student here in the states." B>F>S

2. If I apply in state it costs less. My state, in which I pay taxes, foots some of the cost. If I go out of state, i.e. where I don't pay taxes, it costs more.

3. No school is going to look at my bank statement before they issue me an acceptance or rejection. The reputation of the school is on the line! They want the best students they can get---and ones that can pay. These are not charitable organizations nor should they be.

4. Now, as the story often goes, you apply in state and then out of state, state then private, US then foreign if you are strapped for cash. If you are a savant from the Vanderbilt family you damb well go where you like. It comes down to how desirable you are. That being said, many people apply through the AB program in hopes of seeing the world while getting an MD, of getting an MD in a country that can provide a better education, or of just wanting an MD bad enough to go abroad if they are not competitive at home. The cost is a known fact!

5. The Irish should not be expected to be putting people on the dole! Nor of seeking out "bright impoverished people" to educate. They will, as all schools should when charged with the health of an area, look first to the physical community, then to the national, and then to the international, and always look for the best and brightest.

6. Like it or not, Medical schools are a business and must be run as such for the most part. Review the concepts of good marketing (high quality students and graduates), corporate finance (expenditures must equal or exceed profit).

7. It is a game, learn to play competitively but like a ?good sport?.

Lastly, make the world a better place, get rid of that hint of US arrogance that the world is comeing to hate!

What is so dambnedly difficult to get here? It sounds as if you have been embittered by this whole process. Well let me just say this, as an AMERICAN who has very little money and as one who has "a little" experience with medical schools.

1. The AB people provide a useful service. Be grateful that we don?t have to run ourselves crazy as hell trying to work with each school independently, and lets face it, the AB route is much more stream lined than the AMCAS. If we want something to be questioning let us give an honest and hard look at the "in-your-face" profiting that happens here under the guise of "making the process easier for the student here in the states." B>F>S

2. If I apply in state it costs less. My state, in which I pay taxes, foots some of the cost. If I go out of state, i.e. where I don't pay taxes, it costs more.

3. No school is going to look at my bank statement before they issue me an acceptance or rejection. The reputation of the school is on the line! They want the best students they can get---and ones that can pay. These are not charitable organizations nor should they be.

4. Now, as the story often goes, you apply in state and then out of state, state then private, US then foreign if you are strapped for cash. If you are a savant from the Vanderbilt family you damb well go where you like. It comes down to how desirable you are. That being said, many people apply through the AB program in hopes of seeing the world while getting an MD, of getting an MD in a country that can provide a better education, or of just wanting an MD bad enough to go abroad if they are not competitive at home. The cost is a known fact!

5. The Irish should not be expected to be putting people on the dole! Nor of seeking out "bright impoverished people" to educate. They will, as all schools should when charged with the health of an area, look first to the physical community, then to the national, and then to the international, and always look for the best and brightest.

6. Like it or not, Medical schools are a business and must be run as such for the most part. Review the concepts of good marketing (high quality students and graduates), corporate finance (expenditures must equal or exceed profit).

7. It is a game, learn to play competitively but like a ?good sport?.

Lastly, make the world a better place, get rid of that hint of US arrogance that the world is comeing to hate!

Again, I really don't know why it's so hard for people to understand what I am saying: Wealthy individuals who can afford the huge euro proce tag of Irish universities have de facto admission preference.

i sort of understand what you're trying to say, but going to school in ireland is no more expensive than going to a private school in america. it's not like most of the americans who go to ireland pay cash or anything. they take out loans, just as most americans do at u.s. schools.
i don't think the deposit is big b/c they want our money. they've probably been shafted in the past by american students who got into a u.s. school off a waitlist at the last minute. the deposit is likely so big b/c they don't want us dropping out once you've accepted your spot. a big deposit discourages that for all but the wealthy.
lastly, the situation benefits both the irish schools and the foreigners who go, so i don't think we should be too critical of it. who is getting hurt by it? you say the non-wealthy, but they are just as hurt by the cost of u.s. schools.
i read on another bulletin board that trinity accepted 1 in 10 applicants this year. was that based on who could pay?? i don't think so.

Thank You LOLA!

you say the non-wealthy, but they are just as hurt by the cost of u.s. schools.
:clap:

Clearly you had an honest question and it was answered. I too had a moment of doubt when first I was sending my money to AB. We all like to know what and who we are dealing with when it comes to money.
i don't think the deposit is big b/c they want our money. they've probably been shafted in the past by american students who got into a u.s. school off a waitlist at the last minute. the deposit is likely so big b/c they don't want us dropping out once you've accepted your spot. a big deposit discourages that for all but the wealthy.
That being said, there is no need to blight the Irish in the way some have begun to here. look at the "off shore" schools who knowing take people who can't adress the demands of Medschool just to make money.

lola, best wishes and glad to see ya have an open and clear mind.:love:

Once again, the Irish medical schools do not accept applicants based on their ability to pay fees. Meese can attest to that.

Furthermore, there are many, many students from third world countries like Bangladesh and Ethiopia studying medicine in Ireland on humanitarian scholarships provided by the Irish government. Ireland is famous for educating third-world students. It has been producing African and Indian doctors for centuries. There are Irish medical graduates in practically every corner of the world. So, if you are truly disadvantaged you CAN, most certainly, receive a medical education in Ireland. If you're not then you must pay for the privilege.

And finally, the tuition fees charged are not at all expensive compared to out-of-state/province fees charged by US and Canadian schools. Where else can you get a world-class medical education for about US $23,000 a year?

Des

People are replying to posts that I never made.

1. I never criticized the Atlantic Bridge. In fact I stated that the're fee is roughly comparable to a lot of US MD secondary fees.

2. I never said that one gets "ripped off" by attending an Irish medical school.

3. I never made any comment either way about the quality of Irish schools.

4. I did not say that the tuition to Irish medical school is out of line with US private school tuition.

5. I did not say that Irish medical schools accept substandard applicants.

6. I did not say that Irish medical schools accept applicants SOLELY on their ability to pay the large euro fee.

6. I DID say that individuals who CAN pay the large euro fee get de facto admission preference from Irish schools. Americans, rich or poor, will be able to attend Irish medical schools due to the availability of educational loans. Other international applicants that can afford the large euro fee also receive de facto admission preference (e.g. - Saudis, Malaysians etc... see other poster for this statement). Non-American poor people (or anyone with no access to educational loans, wealthy government assistance, or personal resources) regardless of how smart they are will not be able to attend Irish medical school. This is plain and clear de facto admission preference for those who can afford the large euro fee! And it's good advice to be wary of any school that grants admission preference to applicants based on their ability to pay more than other applicants. If you feel that this preference is not something that you think is important then live long and prosper. Though I find this preference bothersome simply because it underminds my philosophy that the most deserving applicants should receive admission.... not the most deserving applicants who can pay the large euro fee.

so then i guess the same thing can be said for all u.s. schools then, right? non-american poor people cannot afford those schools either. BE WARY OF SCHOOLS LIKE JOHNS HOPKINS AND HARVARD! :rolleyes:

it's good to be cautious, but i've done my research and frankly don't find their tuition (which is less than the u.s. schools i may get accepted to) worrisome.

it was me who said we are getting ripped off. actually, i said "in a way", because i don't really think we are getting ripped off -- just paying more than eu students which doesn't necessarily equate to being ripped off.

that the most deserving applicants should receive admission.... not the most deserving applicants who can pay

This is truly a great idea and totally in line with the philosophy put forth by our Greek father of medicine himself. I fear much more utopian than our western society, however. Unless we revamp western society and diminish state and national boundaries--- pray tell who then shall foot the bill?
:(

YOU are not getting it! Ireland DOES provide a medical education to people from the third world who cannot afford tuition fees. I went to school with a girl from Swaziland and another from Botswana who were both on scholarships provided by the Irish government.

Des

For a North American, you are unlikely to be in a situation where you could not take out loans to go to Ireland. When you have your acceptance letter to Ireland, that is a ticket to either the Staffords in USA, or a combo of Canada/provincial loans + the bank loans. Yes you carry a debt burden, but there isn't a denial of access to anyone, since pretty much all can take out loans once they are accepted. In reality, the financial-based denial occurs earlier in life: a candidate didn't get good grades in high school/undergrad since had to work to help the family, etc. This is not specific to Ireland, but with all schools, and all competitive high level training spots. Though there is a letter, in the application, where you can write about your life and why you didn't get good grades because of your social circumstances.

For the Atlantic Bridge program, this just makes sense. For the UCD college, there is one person, paid full time for the international students, who just deals with international forms, letters, etc for all 180000 students, because they are familar with the stuff and can do it more efficiently than each department doing the forms. Similarly, better just to pool the 4 Ireland schools that accept North Americans and hire a shared staff to do the paperwork and phones and background checks. It is largely phone/fax/post based, so it might as well be in USA so that the time difference hours are more reasonable and the cost overhead less for calls/post. 75$ per school (or whatever it is) is more than reasonable, especially considering the amount of service that you get for that amount--not every place can you call up and actually talk to the real person about your application and how it is going.

There is a need for diversity in Ireland. The population is about 95% Caucasian and Roman Catholic. This, in my opinion is one of the biggest drawbacks of Ireland in my opinion, because of the recent rise in racial intolerance over the last five years. Ireland needs a bit of diversity, and the best way is having people in your class from different cultures/religions and see that they are very nice people. Neither Canada nor USA is homogeneous, so out of a selection of about 10 students, some of those will be Asian, some will be African American, some East Indian, some Muslin, some Hindu, some Jewish, so yes it brings in a slice of diversity to the crowd. The university is usually the tower of tolerance usually (most of the fulminant racism is found in the lower socio-economic strata), but still it helps to have a bit of a rainbow in every workplace, especially during the educational years.

With regard to tuition, I think it is 100% fair for a non-citizen to pay a full tuition price. It is insanely difficult for an Irish student to get the academic points on their leaving certificate to go to medical school, and I don't think that parents would find much comfort in other families' children from other countries could train for free in Ireland at their taxpayer expense (all schools execept RCSI are not-for-profit government institutions). The tuition increase rate is set by the government, and has pretty much matched inflation when averaged over the years. It was actually a decrease of 30% on the tuition if you are from US/Canada, since the Irish punt was so strong, but when it was tied to the Euro, the Euro went down by a third or so. The tuition is in the low-to-middle price range compared to USA. I don't think I got my money's worth really in the first 2 years, but certainly more than my money's worth in the remaining years, so it somewhat balanced out.

On a government scale, the tuition from a few medical students at the government universities is a drop in the pail vs. the amount of tax revenue brought in by one multinational company like Citibank or Microsoft. The government focus is to fill the coffers by attracting multinationals (usually in the tech realm, since it exports well when on an island). The way to attract them is with a good infrastructure and a well-educated workforce. The government invested heavily in their universities, and the gambit payed off well, as their coffers are full and the economy strong.

In Ireland the medical educational system is that you are guaranteed your job as soon as you are accepted if you are Irish (and likewise if you are from the EU, since by law, all EU students must have the same rules for both native EU-member students and the other EU students). It is a small island, and there is only so many physician jobs that are needed (even less so, since so many Irish abroad want to come back and work in Ireland). However, there is alot more students that can be trained, vs. how many EU students can be guaranteed a job in Ireland, so the college can allow some international students from outside the EU to train also.

So who to look at for students? The course is only taught in English. Canada and USA have the very strong fringe benefit that they will return to Canada/USA, and then become good ties between the schools, since many Irish specialists do a fellowship abroad in Canada/USA . There is a saying that Ireland is closer to Boston that to Berlin, and it is true because of the shared language (not much of Europe is English-speaking), culture and family ties. When one looks at where Irish students are training, it is more often in the Irish hotspots (NY, Boston, Chicago, Newfoundland, etc), since there is alot of Irish doctors that have been there before, so they know what they are getting when they hire a new one.

For the rest of the world, the medical profession has a good social conscience, so they do give a hand-up to the less able countries [there was a time when Ireland was not rich but was given a handup by the EU and is now the strongest economy in Europe]. There is not a large army in Ireland (though they did sent troops to East Timor to help the East Timorese in their quest for independence) and they are neutral anyways, so they can't help less-able countries with military, but they can help with education, since they do it well. So in Botswana, there are 4 full scholarships: the Botswana government holds an exam whoever gets the top 4 scores gets the full tuition for medical education in Ireland paid for by the Botswana government, so that they can return with their knowledge and improve the healthcare of Botswana (and eventually get a critical mass of trained doctors in Botswana so that the country can open its first medical school of its own, which will be more cost effective). Ditto for Malaysia: almost all the students are on full scholarship from their government, most do 50% in Ireland and 50% in Malaysia. In Malaysia, RCSI and UCD built a school there for them (Penang), since it is a better way to move to critical mass than the Botswana model.

Best wishes,
--roo

I think assumptions are being made based on speculation and wild guessing. I think before people who do not have a working knowledge of health care/education in Ireland and the UK cannot comment until they've spent a significant amount of time here. Otherwise, our explanations fall onto deaf ears.

I wouldn't say any of the north americans here are wealthy. Okay, so we have to pay full fees, but still...these fees are cheaper or as expensive as attending your state school. I understand the point and the frustration of having to pay full fees while the irish and eu-citizens don't have to, but this situation may change, and I don't see a problem with it. When foreign students apply to US schools, they are not the ones offered financial scholarships. Actually, it's so much harder for an foreign student to apply to the US than it is for US students to apply to foreign schools. I really don't see how this is such a contentious and emotional issue. We're not being penalized or exploited because we're American.

And much of it is for diversity. You think Americans are just being used for money? Quite a few qualified people get rejected every year. Of the Americans in my class, one sings for the Boston Pops and has done years of missionary medical work in West Africa. Another is a professionally ranked Californian surfer. Another is simultaneously earning a PhD in immunology at Vandy. We are lumped in as Americans, but each one of us has done something different that adds to the wide range of experiences that qualifies as adding to diversity. Okay, so maybe they pick people who can afford it. Fine for them, they need a guarantee that they have the funds to survive. But of the American applicant pool, they really do pick people who are unique.

Again, I fail to see how they're using the fact that we can pay as "de facto admissions" because they know NOTHING about our financial status until AFTER they've accepted us. Poor Meese, can't pay for the deposit. But if he/she had been able to scrounge up the money for the deposit, they still have no knowledge of our financial status. Okay, so maybe they assume we can get loans. But this is AFTER they have admitted us. They don't use it as a CRITERIA to admit us. In Meese's case, he/she was admitted and then didn't have the money to pay - this prevens him/her from attending med school in Ireland, but not from BEING ACCEPTED.

Originally posted by leorl

Again, I fail to see how they're using the fact that we can pay as "de facto admissions" because they know NOTHING about our financial status until AFTER they've accepted us. Poor Meese, can't pay for the deposit. But if he/she had been able to scrounge up the money for the deposit, they still have no knowledge of our financial status. Okay, so maybe they assume we can get loans. But this is AFTER they have admitted us. They don't use it as a CRITERIA to admit us. In Meese's case, he/she was admitted and then didn't have the money to pay - this prevens him/her from attending med school in Ireland, but not from BEING ACCEPTED.

Irish medical schools do know about Americans' financial status before the admission decision is made because they know that Americans will be able to borrow sufficient funds to pay the large euro fee.

As for Meese... He is a perfect example of what I am saying. Whether he was accepted or not is immaterial. He was not ADMITTED to the school because he could not pay the large euro fee. Therefore he does not enjoy the same de facto preference that Americans and others with the sufficient funds enjoy. As I stated earlier, those with the ability to pay the large euro fee get de facto ADMISSION preference. I'm sure that the adcom just went down their list until it got to a person who had the ability to pay the large euro fee. Had the adcom really cared about having Meese in the class, it would have offerred him a scholarship as DesOmalley claims that Irish med schools will do for those without the ability to pay the large euro fee. That no scholarship was given, is further evidence that de facto admission preference is given to those who can pay over those that cannot.

To "Roo": That was a nice post. Very informative. Thanks for taking the time to post it!

Peace.

Um, hang on. I thought Meese was ACCEPTED. The thing is, after Acceptance, he found he didn't have the money to pay the deposit. But That has nothing to do with Admissions. He was Accepted for Admission. There is no preference for admission based on Money. They didn't look at his details and say "look, he has no money, here goes his big fat rejection letter." This is why I'm saying that there is no de facto admissions process. He was admitted fair and square like everyone else, but didn't have the means to follow through on it. It had nothing to do with preferential judgment on the admission board's end.

The scholarships unfortunately mainly only apply to EU citizens. The EU governments have many associations with each other concerning students who come in. Actually, not many EU students are admitted. The thing about scholarships and stuff is that they don't apply to non-EU states for legal and economical reasons. As I explained before, same happens in the US. Our medical schools 1) very rarely admit foreign students unless they have done at least undergrad schooling in the US and 2) never give foreign students scholarships. I don't think Americans have the right to demand such things and make a huff about it if the US doesn't have reciprocal systems.

Ireland has standing programs with other non-EU nations, like some African governments and the Malaysian government. This allows for subsidation of costs by either end. However, Irish schools / government have no such similar relationships with the US.

I just had to respond to the last post by leorl.

I never said that only people who could afford the large euro fee could get accepted to Irish medical schools. What I did say is that those who can pay the large euro fee have "de facto" ADMISSION preference. And this is perfectly described in the case of Meese.

"De facto" is defined as "being such in effect though not formally recognized". I never said that there is a formal financial requirement for admission to Irish medical school. But in the case of Meese, there is an ACTUAL admission preference for someone who can pay the large euro fee. Doesn't matter if he is accepted. He could not afford the large euro fee, and therefore he was subject to an actual (though not formal) preference for someone who has enough euros.

Saying that because he was accepted, proves there is no de facto preference for those who can pay is not logical. The bottom line is that he is not going to attend an Irish medical school only because he could not pay the large euro fee. However, to hammer home my point, someone else further down the list (possibly even someone not as qualified/deserving) who could afford the large euro fee will get the spot. This is "de facto" preference given to someone who can pay the large euro fee.

I cannot express this any clearer.

I officially am moving on to greener pastures.

Peace, and good luck in your studies/career.:)

Leorl...

I never said that only people who could afford the large euro fee could get accepted to Irish medical schools. What I did say is that those who can pay the large euro fee have "de facto" ADMISSION preference. And this is perfectly described in the case of Meese.

"De facto" is defined as "being such in effect though not formally recognized". I never said that there is a formal financial requirement for admission to Irish medical school. But in the case of Meese, there is an ACTUAL admission preference for someone who can pay the large euro fee. Doesn't matter if he is accepted. He could not afford the large euro fee, and therefore he was subject to an actual (though not formal) preference for someone who has enough euros.

Saying that because he was accepted, proves there is no de facto preference for those who can pay is not logical. The bottom line is that he is not going to attend an Irish medical school only because he could not pay the large euro fee. However, to hammer home my point, someone else further down the list (possibly even someone not as qualified/deserving) who could afford the large euro fee will get the spot. This is "de facto" preference given to someone who can pay the large euro fee.

I cannot express this any clearer.

I officially am moving on to greener pastures.

Peace, and good luck in your studies/career.:)

So, Celiac Plexus, please provide us with a list of those medical schools which admit students who can't pay tuition fees.

Des

I don't know about all the back and forth about cash cow Americans, altho I am a cynic I admit. My experience with AB was pretty much of a downer; the guy who answered my emails and the telephone was I thought really crabby and an awful grouch. One time he basically hung up on me when I tried to ask a question. I think I am within the range of fairly normal people, I am not aggressive or rude on the phone (despite living in NYC!) and try to be polite to strangers, etc.

So I was going to even post here on 'what's up with this office?!' Maybe he was having a bad day but he was so rude to me I was really turned off to the whole application process and even too afraid to call him back and ask: have I offended you in any way? which I might have normally done.

Is this normal for the AB office? I was really upset at the time.

aww gee...sorry woolie, that's strange. I've only had positive experiences with them and every time I spoke to them, they were very nice. Maybe he was having a bad day and getting crabby? I'm not sure :(. The guy I mainly talked to was Louis Keenan, and there's another guy Peter something. They're both very nice. I'm not sure if there's anyone else handling their communications.

Enough fighting. Just let it go. Who gives a rat's bunghole, anyway? If you go overseas, yer gonna pay more money. If you don't like it, don't go. Please stop bitching about it. Celiac...you made yer point, now shut up.

Thank you.

loo

OOps--Sorry in advance, Celiac! You did make yer point! I am a little brain-dead. Maybe I should not have milked the bull today!

Starting a new page...

loo

Thanks for the kind words Leorl, maybe it was a bad day for him, who knows. It was Louis Keenan, and I guess I did take his behavious personally. I think it's a good program tho and the Irish schools are great. I am a big fan of socialized medicine so I would want to just stay in Europe and practice, but I'm not so sure you can do that.

I believe you can, woolie :). At least in Ireland anyway. Several of my Canadian graduate friends are now working quite happily in Ireland or Northern Ireland (UK) after completing internship. Well, I guess that means they're in residency, but residency still is working :). I'm not sure how they get qualified in terms of immigration visas and all that, but apparently they don't have too much trouble. And once you work in UK or Europe, it's not too much trouble to stay if everything's in order.

sorry about your trouble with Louis Keenan, btw. whenever I spoke to him, he was very helpful. And even answered the annoying questions of my mother rather patiently.

Hmmm ... well then, maybe I will just screw up my courage and give them another call for Fall applications. I appreciate hearing other people's feedback and experiences and I'm glad to hear about Canadian/US people staying on and working in EU countries.