Asymptomatic Hypertension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1119158

Fellow Podiatrist,

In your personal experience if a patient presents 2-weeks pre-op for a surgery clearance. The patients medical history states he has high blood pressure but no other pertinent issues. The patients blood pressure is above 180/110. Patient is in good spirits and alert, appears to be asymptomatic hypertension. Where do you send the patient ? Back to primary care, emergency room, cardiology ?

Apologies if this is simply question. I’m still trying to put it all together.

Members don't see this ad.

Ahhh… 180/110 that’s the definition of possible hypertensive emergency. I would have patient wait quite with feet uncrossed flat on ground for like 10 min then recheck. If still high, the patient is getting sent to ER. I rather send them to the ER than send them home and be at fault for anything.

Edit: I meant to type hypertensive urgency as the vignette had no symptoms.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Send to PCP. If no symptoms, ED seems overkill to me... if you really wanted him seen sooner then alert PCP and just send to an Urgent Care facility instead (unless PCP can see right away). Leave cards referral to PCP.

Members don't see this ad :)
why was the word hypertension mentioned in a podiatry forum? Does not computer. Error Error

Reactions: 1 users
I don't even know what those numbers mean. What I do know is if they show up red (that means bad) on my computer, then I call 911 on them.

So asymptomatic hypertension is when I am doing an internal brace but I forget to use the thermostat thing and accidently hypertension the tape but they do good after surgery and it doesn't bother them?

So asymptomatic hypertension is when I am doing an internal brace but I forget to use the thermostat thing and accidently hypertension the tape but they do good after surgery and it doesn't bother them?
Thanks for my next ACFAS poster idea. ‘Asymptomatic hypertension in podiometric “surgery”’