ASTRO Job Board now requires ASTRO membership to view

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a new policy . . . any postings to the ASTRO job board will not be visible to non-ASTRO members after three days.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
You best pay up! You would not want to miss out on fantastic janitorial or bus driving jobs for vandy!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Sounds like a new policy . . . any postings to the ASTRO job board will not be visible to non-ASTRO members after three days.

Guessing the pandemic and their actions wrt APM and supervision regs must have hurt membership. Good way to try and claw some revenue back i guess.

This essentially is turning the job search further into the hunger games for new/recent grads while giving ASTRO an extra money grab to make up for lost memberships.

Some would say, maybe try to actually be a better organization for your potential constituents, but i think that is asking too much?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Another unforced error by our elite cadre of “leadership”. Doubt they will walk this back, be prepared to see more postings here and twitter. I’m happy to post for you on Twitter if you have a job to list.

Reactions: 8 users
Janitor might make more RVUs and have better job security than a new grad starting there with more respect amongst peers.
Well you dont have janitors trying to find ways to diminish their role when someone zhitz the toilet seat. Us in the other hand? We are the turd being flushed.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Well you dont have janitors trying to find ways to diminish their role when someone zhitz the toilet seat. Us in the other hand? We are the turd being flushed.

I present a single institution phase I trial of one application of disinfectant vs observation for poopy toilet seat. Primary endpoint is visitor complaints. Still accumulating.

I'll excuse myself now.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I present a single institution phase I trial of one application of disinfectant vs observation for poopy toilet seat. Primary endpoint is visitor complaints. Still accumulating.

I'll excuse myself now.
With a n=20, single spray with vinegar solution followed by single sheet toilet paper wipe is NONINFERIOR to professional janitorial job

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Another unforced error by our elite cadre of “leadership”.
Agreed, what in the world is this supposed to accomplish?

However, as I look at this jobs board with insider knowledge, I am again reminded that many of these posted jobs are already filled (at least in academics). So, not a tremendous loss...

Why is Astro so determined to make finding a job impossible in rad onc? As if their policies haven't contributed enough to the job death, they now are making it even more difficult for people? How completely out of touch.

Also, what's up with all the veterinary rad onc jobs? Is this a thing? Is this the future of rad onc? I wonder how their salaries compare. Just any rad onc can walk in and start radiating people's pets? Do we just assume human dose tolerances? Professional development is available at WOOF University? Is this a joke?

https://careers.astro.org/jobs/view/radiation-oncologist/58519887/?jas=2

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

I'll excuse myself now.

With a n=20, single spray with vinegar solution followed by single sheet toilet paper wipe is NONINFERIOR to professional janitorial job
Poop jokes are not my favorite.

But they're a solid number two.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

?sdrawkcab ti tog syug uoy kniht I

dJzs8vd.png

Also, what's up with all the veterinary rad onc jobs? Is this a thing? Is this the future of rad onc? I wonder how their salaries compare. Just any rad onc can walk in and start radiating people's pets? Do we just assume human dose tolerances? Professional development is available at WOOF University? Is this a joke?
Not a joke. These radiation vets have a nice resource w/ the ASTRO site. Human rad oncs may not legally become vets or treat animals ;) Still have to go to vet school. What is a joke is the ASTRO job site for ROs. Something like ~1% of the jobs on there are (human) physician radiation oncology jobs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another unforced error by our elite cadre of “leadership”. Doubt they will walk this back, be prepared to see more postings here and twitter. I’m happy to post for you on Twitter if you have a job to list.

I have a job to list...how best to get the word out? I posted on ASTRO a month back, got a few dozen bites but not as many as I have in years past.

I have a job to list...how best to get the word out? I posted on ASTRO a month back, got a few dozen bites but not as many as I have in years past.
I have a good amount of followers and it’s worked in the past - have had someone who would have never found about the job get the job, due to a post I made. Can email me: [email protected]

Post it on Twitter, put in the #radoncrocks hashtag, and tag a few of the "usual suspects"

Maybe add a bit about how the jobs situation is actually great contrary to what the whackos on SDN are saying. Then you are guaranteed to get the word out!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Post it on Twitter, put in the #radoncrocks hashtag, and tag a few of the "usual suspects"

Maybe add a bit about how the jobs situation is actually great contrary to what the whackos on SDN are saying. Then you are guaranteed to get the word out!
Or this!!! Totally this!!

• Haha
How many of those jobs on the board are even truly available after being up for over a week?

I wouldn't mind throwing my hat in the ring on a few just for S&G but what's the point in dusting off the CV if the job isn't even real.

That is just low for ASTRO

• Haha
I wonder if the site was down last night because they were updating things. Happened to coincide with me trying to access a refresher course (I paid for) to help continue prepping for oral boards. If so, good timing, and thanks as usual for putting your members first.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I wonder if the site was down last night because they were updating things. Happened to coincide with me trying to access a refresher course (I paid for) to help continue prepping for oral boards. If so, good timing, and thanks as usual for putting your members first.
They do put their members first… it’s just a matter of which ones.

I would love for someone to make a twitter account that simply scrapes the ASTRO job board and posts new postings...

• Love
For those not on Twitter, this was ASTRO's response to Simul asking about this:

1631274375536.png

Alright, cool, they're selling it as a "benefit" to members to have an "advanced preview".

Where was this decision made in the organization? Over the last few years, we have watched interest in Radiation Oncology absolutely plummet among medical students, effectively making this specialty the least competitive and least desirable in all of medicine.

What's driving this? The concern over the job market, and how difficult it is to obtain a job after residency.

What should be the ABSOLUTE LAST thing that ASTRO, the primary organization for our specialty, be doing in this environment? Creating ANY barriers in the job market.

Look, I agree, three days where it's "members only" probably isn't a major problem. However, to me, it's just more evidence that the folks supposedly "leading" this specialty are focused on the wrong things and sending us in the wrong direction.

View attachment 343216

Alright, cool, they're selling it as a "benefit" to members to have an "advanced preview".

Where was this decision made in the organization? Over the last few years, we have watched interest in Radiation Oncology absolutely plummet among medical students, effectively making this specialty the least competitive and least desirable in all of medicine.

What's driving this? The concern over the job market, and how difficult it is to obtain a job after residency.

What should be the ABSOLUTE LAST thing that ASTRO, the primary organization for our specialty, be doing in this environment? Creating ANY barriers in the job market.

Look, I agree, three days where it's "members only" probably isn't a major problem. However, to me, it's just more evidence that the folks supposedly "leading" this specialty are focused on the wrong things and sending us in the wrong direction.
Lol.
"Hi, I'm applying to the job you listed 4 days ago."
"Sorry, it's been filled."

• Haha
  • Love
Nah, just needed astro vip access. Generally, employers will just immediately hire the first good looking cv to cross their desk, which unfortunately might be true. The sooner they get a new cog, the quicker they're back on the links.
ASTRO: there is no free lunch! Gravy train for you? Its over folks!

I would love for someone to make a twitter account that simply scrapes the ASTRO job board and posts new postings...

The problem with doing this is there is no way to simply search for just physician rad onc jobs on the astro website. You get tons of junk, which is why I have to sort through it by hand.

View attachment 343216

"May the odds be ever in your favor"

The problem with doing this is there is no way to simply search for just physician rad onc jobs on the astro website. You get tons of junk, which is why I have to sort through it by hand.
It's nostalgic though. Just like trying to do an AskJeeves.com query from the late 90's. One out of a hundred useful search results really made my day back then. "Wow, this saved a ton of time!" Then two dudes innovated, and Google, and boom. ASTRO dot org will never have to face competition in the rad onc job search space :(

Lol.
"Hi, I'm applying to the job you listed 4 days ago."
Or....

"Hi... I am a loyal dues paying member of ASTRO. I'm very interested in the job listing just posted two minutes ago. Seems like reasonable compensation and desirable location. I can't wait to learn more!"

• Haha
Or....

"Hi... I am a loyal dues paying member of ASTRO. I'm very interested in the job listing just posted two minutes ago. Seems like reasonable compensation and desirable location. I can't wait to learn more!"

Or, "sorry, it was filled yesterday."

Or, "sorry, it was filled yesterday."
Or, “sorry, we already have a candidate in mind but have to post the job publicly for 90 days per institutional guidelines”

Reactions: 2 users
It's nostalgic though. Just like trying to do an AskJeeves.com query from the late 90's. One out of a hundred useful search results really made my day back then. "Wow, this saved a ton of time!" Then two dudes innovated, and Google, and boom. ASTRO dot org will never have to face competition in the rad onc job search space :(
I mean they could just post it on Indeed. No?

Or, “sorry, we already have a candidate in mind but have to post the job publicly for 90 days per institutional guidelines”
This represents most positions. Universities have very strict HR guidelines that mandate public posting and sometimes even interviewing a specific number of candidates, even if there is a candidate who already has been offered the position informally. Political correctness at its best.

Ive had to get some peoples hopes up for some uni (non-physician) positions just to hit the interview quota. Waste of everyones time.

I don't hav Twitter and don't know the "usual suspects." I e-mailed Simul