ASTRO Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted4401

So, when a clinic/group says to you - "Let's meet at ASTRO," how is that organized? I haven't found a way to make appointments or anything like that. It mentions that there will be rooms on the ASTRO job site, but there is no sign up or anything like that.

And are these just 15 minute meet-and-greets or actual interview sessions? Then, do they email/phone you after the meeting to set up on-site interviews?

-S

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of the people I've talked to want to meet informally, like for coffee or a meal or something, not at the ASTRO job center

Last edited:
So, when a clinic/group says to you - "Let's meet at ASTRO," how is that organized? I haven't found a way to make appointments or anything like that. It mentions that there will be rooms on the ASTRO job site, but there is no sign up or anything like that.

And are these just 15 minute meet-and-greets or actual interview sessions? Then, do they email/phone you after the meeting to set up on-site interviews?

-S

In most cases, people who will be interviewing you are just as clueless about the ASTRO job center, if not more. Remember, most practices interview only once every few years... unlike residency programs that interview every year and develop certain expertise.

A few months before ASTRO, a module will open up at ASTRO job center that will allow you to release your CV and apply to advertised jobs. Then a few weeks before, another module that will let you schedule interviews will pop up. It is not very intuitive but you will figure it out and become an expert by the end of ASTRO. You don't necessarily have to use the module to schedule interviews. In fact, they will often call you on your cell phone (out of frustration of being unable to figure out how to use the module)... Many times, this happens while you are already there at ASTRO, not beforehand. I believe they kind of check off their list as they go and invite more as needed.

I think the key is to:
1) give out your cell phone number
2) make sure you will be available for the whole duration of ASTRO (at least the first few days when people will be more enthusiastic) and
3) check your ASTRO job search module often... (which means bringing your laptop and not having to rely on the check-email center at ASTRO).

A lot of times (especially by the end of ASTRO), people will have figured out it's whole lot more convenient to meet outside the tented cubicles at the job center. People will often say "let's meet in front of the job center and go somewhere quiet so we can talk." Big corporation practices (e.g. 21st century) will rent out a room somewhere closeby and ask you to come there. Last year, it was at this deserted building on a fishing dock, right out of Mafia movies. (Some docs there also appeared to have come out of the same movies...)

At ASTRO, you can exchange contact info. I advise you to follow up in a week or so --- it's surprisingly high-yield. If they remain interested, they will fly you out to visit the practice, visit the city, often treat you to a nice dinner with a bunch of current partners. You may also want to ask if this will be the only visit (in which case you have to insist you bring your family --- they will pick up the tab) or it will be followed by a second interview. (or is it third now?)

Good luck. It's stressful... because this truly is THE big decision. If all goes right, you will be there for next forty (not four) years! Make sure you attend the ARRO talk on Saturday and pick up those handouts for evaluating practice, etc. They are very helpful.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Big corporation practices (e.g. 21st century) will rent out a room somewhere closeby and ask you to come there. Last year, it was at this deserted building on a fishing dock, right out of Mafia movies. (Some docs there also appeared to have come out of the same movies...)

Thanks for my morning coffee spit, Clint! I did get a slight Goodfellas vibe making my way out to that building past the fishmongers, and I know exactly who you're talking about...good stuff!

Is it common for people to just not write you back after you've "applied" i.e. emailed them CV and letter? I've given them a week - 10days and then called them, but basically not gotten return calls? Are they really that busy? Maybe it's just me, seems counter-intuitive to recruitment.

i remember last year barely anyone i knew used the tented cubicles, and one of the reasons was because if there happened to be someone interviewing at the same time as you in the next cubicle, you could hear them pretty clearly while you were interviewing. so if given the option, don't use the cubicles but go over the layout of the convention center or nearby places within walking distance so that you can offer up other places to meet. i also agree with everything clintpark said, but also, I and most of my friends ended up at jobs for which we did not interview at ASTRO, so don't stress if things don't go smoothly or you dont feel that you have that many interviews (easier said than done, right? i think i started posting on this site because i was stressing about the astro interview process). anyway, good luck.

Is it common for people to just not write you back after you've "applied" i.e. emailed them CV and letter? I've given them a week - 10days and then called them, but basically not gotten return calls? Are they really that busy? Maybe it's just me, seems counter-intuitive to recruitment.

It is common. Sometimes, they are that busy. Other times, it's lost in a pile of letters or messages that all docs have learned to ignore. I would follow up again after giving them a reasonable opportunity to get back to you. If they don't show interest, it may be that they are just not hiring this year. You should find out though instead of guessing.

Good luck!

I know all the advice is that ASTRO is the place for looking for a job, yadda yadda yadda, but I had such a low-yield experience at ASTRO. I am very happy that I had set up interviews with groups prior ASTRO. It was far too quick of a meeting (in most cases), in an odd place (a cubicle, or a hallway, or in the best case, in a lounge/bar), and you know the group is going through a ton of candidates. I met a whole lot of people there, only have obtained 1 formal interview from it, and missed most of the meeting running around trying to interview (some people do it off site, some people on site, etc).

Almost all of the interviews that I have gone on up to this point has been through cold calling (emails or phone calls to clinics in areas I'm interested in) or through the ASTRO website. I'm really getting the idea that many of the good jobs are word of mouth, b/c places I would be certainly interested in that I had no idea are hiring are interviewing friends of mine.

Yet, I'm certain that others had better experiences than me at ASTRO...
S

I know all the advice is that ASTRO is the place for looking for a job, yadda yadda yadda, but I had such a low-yield experience at ASTRO. I am very happy that I had set up interviews with groups prior ASTRO. It was far too quick of a meeting (in most cases), in an odd place (a cubicle, or a hallway, or in the best case, in a lounge/bar), and you know the group is going through a ton of candidates. I met a whole lot of people there, only have obtained 1 formal interview from it, and missed most of the meeting running around trying to interview (some people do it off site, some people on site, etc).

Almost all of the interviews that I have gone on up to this point has been through cold calling (emails or phone calls to clinics in areas I'm interested in) or through the ASTRO website. I'm really getting the idea that many of the good jobs are word of mouth, b/c places I would be certainly interested in that I had no idea are hiring are interviewing friends of mine.

S

I can echo that sentiment.

I cold-called all practices in my preferred geographic area and got to visit three groups while I was in the area for something else. They didn't pay for anything and nothing came of it.

I talked with about 12 - 15 different groups during ASTRO at the Job Placement Center. I visited 3 practices (two visits at 2 of them) - one job offer.

In addition, I set up 2 or 3 through head hunters. - two offers.

All in all, I visited maybe 7 or 8 places and had second looks with 3 or 4 of them.

Ultimately, and ironically, I took a job at a practice I had known before all the job search began... without doing a formal interview. (I had rotated there for a month as a 3rd year)

So, you are right. Most of jobs (good ones anyway) are obtained through your efforts and connections.

S

Same experience here. Like speed dating and going home alone. Despite emails to express continued interest I haven't heard a peep back with one exception. One almost thinks that the process is more like an advertising campaigns for the groups/university rather than an interest in getting people to work for them.

b/c it allows both the interviewee and interviewer to see a lot of potentials over a short period of time; basically it doesnt waste the $ or time of the program/practice to fly out people they would immediately send out the door. people do get jobs from astro interviews, but i do think astro favors the programs/practices that are hiring...