ASTRO - advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clinonc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of travelling from the UK (where I'm an oncology resident) for the Chicago meeting next week. I would be self financing (approx $3600 in total) so I want to be sure it'd be worth it! So any thoughts on how worthwhile ASTRO is would be welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

personally, i could find a lot of things to do with $3600, other than going to astro. i feel astro can be hit or miss in terms of the quality of the science and educational sessions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. In the UK we have two types: clinical oncologists, like me, who are trained in the use of both radiation and drugs, and medical oncologists, who only do the drugs. What proportion of US radiation oncology residents attend ASTRO each year, would you say?

Tough question, maybe one of the folks involved at ARRO could comment? In our program, resident attendance is generally 75% and usually the first-years stay behind to cover clinic. Nation-wide I would guess 60% or so?