ASSISTED LIVING CONTRACTS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D W

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information or guidance on WHAT contracts or language to have in place when contracting with an assisted living/nursing home as a mobile podiatrist? I have been doing this awhile (side job), but only as a contractor. I have realized I have been giving away a HUGE percentage by not securing these contracts on my own. The problem is that I am missing the piece of knowledge of: 1. Do I give them a general ABN? 2. A contract that makes that details the primary care physician has acknowledged and agrees with podiatric care? and 3. Insurance verifications? Who does this? - a separate company (or a special billing company I use)? It took allot for me to ask this. I just cannot seem to find these answers to get started, but I REALLY need to get away from these companies who do nothing but schedule me and take 1/3. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I do not have contracts with facilities. If they like me that's good, if they don't they can kick me out. I think this is most fair for everyone. I also do not see how a facility can prevent a patient from seeing their physician doing a home call. If you are seeing patients under the contracting companies NPI you may need to get credentialed on your own first so insurance companies will pay you.

You don't need primary care permission. When a new patient comes to clinic do you call their PCP and ask for permission? No you don't.

I get copies of face sheets and insurance cards and upload all patient information on my own to EHR. The EHR has a built in tool to check insurance eligibility.

Each patient signs consent form before I see them, not each time but once and it doesn't expire.

The first time I go to a facility it takes longer for me to do all the paperwork and insurance checks than actually seeing patients.

It is a huge learning curve but the freedom of working on your own is worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Question- how have you been doing side gig nursing homes but also studying for part 3 boards?

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users