Assigning Absolute Stereochemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marcosma

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! So this is something that I've stumbled across a few times, and it seems like the ranking convention might change based on whatever review material I'm using. When assigning stereochemistry to a "complex" stereocenter where there are multiple heteroatoms, how does the AAMC want us to rank the substituents? An example is below.
upload_2017-7-12_9-6-20.png

When looking at the bottom right stereocenter (C connected to N, C, C), I assigned the stereochemistry to be S. TBR tells me that it is R.

Keeping the H in the front, I assigned the substituents as follows:
1 = N, because N>C
2 = C - (S, C, C) because S > O in the next substituent
3 = C - (O, O, O) ranked as lowest because S > O, and I was taught that the first difference is the one you rank around. Because S has a higher atomic number than O, I ranked C-S > C-O

Also, as a side note - TBR correctly (in my eyes) ranks the top left stereocenter as R, following this same idea - N beats C (connected to S, N, H) beats C (connected to O, O, N)

Is this a lapse in my misunderstanding or is it just a funky, specific convention that isn't followed sometimes? I remember encountering this a year or two back as well, but we didn't reach a conclusion. What do you all think?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-12_9-5-5.png
    upload_2017-7-12_9-5-5.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 51
Keeping the H in the front, I assigned the substituents as follows:
1 = N, because N>C
2 = C - (S, C, C) because S > O in the next substituent
3 = C - (O, O, O) ranked as lowest because S > O, and I was taught that the first difference is the one you rank around. Because S has a higher atomic number than O, I ranked C-S > C-O

You're right - it should be S.