Asking to shadow an optometrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kglmp83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to get my eyes examined. I am going to a new doctor because the other one is far from me and is at Lenscrafters (I want to start supporting optometrists who owns their own business.).

After he is finished examining my eye and if he is not busy, would it be appropriate to ask whether he allows students to shadow? Or should I wait and then call or visit the office on another occation.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
call him now and ask... what you should do is talk to the receptionist (tell them you intent, you're a student and want to shadow) and tell them to get the Dr. to call you back. it's really that easy. don't need to wait a month. he/she will tell you if it's possible. it's not a big deal.

I dont know to be honest. I asked my optometrist following my examination and she was more than happy to allow me to shadow.

I called 4 other offices and left messages with the receptionist as stated above and never was called back from any of the offices. I mean seriously, how hard is it to call back and say the Dr. isn't interested in allowing you to shadow.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd call around to a couple different places. Also it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a resume together and fax it to them just to be a little more professional about it.

I know when I was first looking, I called about 5 places that for some reason or another rejected me. It was a blessing in disguise really because the last place I found was the best place I could imagine shadowing at. I actually did an internship there and then got a job there as an optician.

If you call around most likely you won't hear back. I would recommend walking in and leaving a resume.

Thanks for the replies.
I will try to ask him after he gets finished examining me.