Asking schools to reduce tuition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simpsonj24

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about the feasibility of asking a school to reduce tuition, maybe in the form of scholarships or grants. I am in a good position of being accepted to multiple schools. I am an SDA and Loma Linda University (an SDA institution) class last year was 88% SDAs. I am a texas resident and have been accepted into two of the state schools. I recognize that it costs an incredible amount of money to run a dental school but I cannot rationalize 45K a year to go there even though I really want to. Is it incredibly pompous and arrogant or does it tell the school that you really want to go there but it is just to much cash? Keep in mind when you answer that if LLU had their way the entire class would be SDAs. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

'Course you could give it a shot, but don't expect any kind of change. There are plenty of people willng to pay the full amount. Think of it as a long term investment...

I don't think any of us are looking forward to carrying $100k+ in loans. And as the previous poster said, you should consider it an investment in your future. As a dentist you will definitely be able to pay back all of your loans just as every dentist before you has done.

Members don't see this ad :)
simpsonj24 said:
Is it incredibly pompous and arrogant or does it tell the school that you really want to go there but it is just to much cash?

The odds overwhelmingly favor the former, but it doesn't really matter either way. No school is going to lower its tuition; dental schools are enormously expensive to operate, loans to finance the cost are plentiful, and they're increasing your salary potential enormously afterward. Sorry, but it ain't gonna happen.

Oh man, no disrespect, but I couldn't help but laugh when I saw the title of this post. Just asking a school if they could give you a scholarship? I'd like to be a fly on the wall during that request. You can try, but it won't happen.

That said, you could always do the armed forces program or sign up for a rural program that will cover your tuition. Then you could go to LLU and not worry about the debt.

simpsonj24 said:
Keep in mind when you answer that if LLU had their way the entire class would be SDAs. Thanks guys.

That's one of the most ridiculous statements I've heard in a long time. I have no doubt that Loma Linda would NOT favor their entire class being SDAs.