Asking schools for money (after receiving $$$ from other places)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayareus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the etiquette for informing your first-choice schools that you have received competitive merit scholarships/financial aid packages from other desirable programs? I'm specifically talking about Harvard and Yale, which are the MPH programs I am choosing between, but am wondering if anyone has had success with getting schools to match other programs or at least increase their offers. I've gotten some good merit scholarships at other great schools but don't want this to influence my decision away from my first choice programs. How does one go about initiating this conversation?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen it happen (MPH, law, etc). I'm not really sure who you should email. Perhaps the financial aid offices? Or an administrative assistance in admissions? Just say something along the lines of you're in financial need, you've gotten competitive scholarships from other schools, really want to go to Harvard/Yale, and wish to see if they might be willing to offer some extra money as you really want to go there but financial consideration is important. Not sure if they'll match the other offer (sometimes it's better to start with a high offer and work it down from there, then start with something low), but it's really about how you word it, as well as how badly they might want you (perhaps acknowledge that other schools gave you a scholarship b/c you were competitive). Just some thoughts. Good luck!

I know Columbia is open to re considerations based on other school offers. I'm still in-between schools (Columbia and Yale) so if Columbia is the only one to offer me money it makes the choice a bit easier. lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I know Columbia is open to re considerations based on other school offers. I'm still in-between schools (Columbia and Yale) so if Columbia is the only one to offer me money it makes the choice a bit easier. lol

Did you happen to go to Columbia's admitted students day? Is that where they talked about that? I haven't received any financial aid information from Columbia yet but I am curious about this because I don't expect them to offer me much (or anything). Do we just email their financial aid office? Any other details would be appreciated!

Did you happen to go to Columbia's admitted students day? Is that where they talked about that? I haven't received any financial aid information from Columbia yet but I am curious about this because I don't expect them to offer me much (or anything). Do we just email their financial aid office? Any other details would be appreciated!

The Director of FA mentioned it. He didn't give out specific numbers, but said they do their best to match (or at least come as close as the want to) money offered by other schools. I assume you email the FA office. It looks like the just have that one email for their whole FA process.

I am considering doing this with Pitt. However, they said they offer no master's funding. I guess it is worth an e-mail because it's not like I'm going to go there if they don't offer me any funding (they are as expensive as Harvard?!). Would admissions be more appropriate?

Sooo ... did anybody try asking for money? I'm just curious if someone did and was successful!

Sooo ... did anybody try asking for money? I'm just curious if someone did and was successful!

I tried at Emory after a current student suggested it. I was shot down.

Reactions: 1 user
I wrote a really formal email and the school told me they'll let me know if any funding comes through if someone rejects their offer... so no guarantee by april 15th. I used another school's scholarship offer to leverage this request and they asked me for a copy of the other school's notification.

Reactions: 1 user
I tried at Emory after a current student suggested it. I was shot down.

That's too bad. Did you go meet in person or via email?

I wrote a really formal email and the school told me they'll let me know if any funding comes through if someone rejects their offer... so no guarantee by april 15th. I used another school's scholarship offer to leverage this request and they asked me for a copy of the other school's notification.

Did you both ask the specific department or the school's financial aid office? I'm want to ask the department for money but not sure if I should speak to financial aid office as well.

Did you both ask the specific department or the school's financial aid office? I'm want to ask the department for money but not sure if I should speak to financial aid office as well.

I sent the email to the academic advisor for my department but asked to be forwarded to the correct contact if it wasn't supposed to be her. I think most schools hand out scholarships through the dept. good luck!

I sent the email to the academic advisor for my department but asked to be forwarded to the correct contact if it wasn't supposed to be her. I think most schools hand out scholarships through the dept. good luck!

Thanks!

That's too bad. Did you go meet in person or via email?

The student I talked to said she e-mailed the ADAP last year and explained she had gotten funding at another school, Emory was her #1 choice, and asked if the could make an offer. So, that's what I did. I was told that it is possible there will be more funds but I will likely not be notified by 4/15 if so.

Members don't see this ad :)
The student I talked to said she e-mailed the ADAP last year and explained she had gotten funding at another school, Emory was her #1 choice, and asked if the could make an offer. So, that's what I did. I was told that it is possible there will be more funds but I will likely not be notified by 4/15 if so.

Thank you!

I sent out a couple of emails. Got an automated reply from the financial aid office saying they are receiving high volume of calls/emails so will take 2-3 day to get back! Eeek!!:dead:
I thought the days of refreshing my email constantly were done!

I sent out a couple of emails. Got an automated reply from the financial aid office saying they are receiving high volume of calls/emails so will take 2-3 day to get back! Eeek!!:dead:

I talked to an administrator for my department at harvard and she said that most of their departmental funding is given out to doctoral students and that for masters, they only award a few of the top sophas applications.

What I'm more concerned about it finding our more info about research assistantships and their exact benefits.

Since I've already sent in my deposit I doubt that asking then for more money would be effective, but when sending in the confirmation form I had to state the other schools I got into and how much money they gave me, so they'll know that.

And I don't know how much scholarships and assistantship offers from lower ranked schools would matter to them. For example, drexel gave me about half tution and buffalo offered me a research position, but I denied them because those schools were honestly more like safety nets to me, in case for some reason I didn't get into top programs.

I talked to an administrator for my department at harvard and she said that most of their departmental funding is given out to doctoral students and that for masters, they only award a few of the top sophas applications.

What I'm more concerned about it finding our more info about research assistantships and their exact benefits.

Since I've already sent in my deposit I doubt that asking then for more money would be effective, but when sending in the confirmation form I had to state the other schools I got into and how much money they gave me, so they'll know that.

And I don't know how much scholarships and assistantship offers from lower ranked schools would matter to them. For example, drexel gave me about half tution and buffalo offered me a research position, but I denied them because those schools were honestly more like safety nets to me, in case for some reason I didn't get into top programs.

That's what I heard too regarding departmental funding.

But, I also saw the statistics for funding on their website which show that about 75% of MPH students got funded in 2014. So I thought I'd try my luck. But obviously, I got shot down :(. No harm in trying I guess. Although, I must say I got scholarships from Yale and BU which are pretty great schools.

Yes, I was also wondering how one goes about looking for RA (or other similar) positions.

No money to give out. Well ... atleast I tried!

No money to give out. Well ... atleast I tried!
ah okay then. I probably wouldn't attempt it myself. Do you think it would be a good idea emailing professors that do the type of research I'm interested in now? Or would it be better to wait until school started to start making the case for myself? I guess I'm just worried as coming off as too awkward or pompous because I really don't have that much specialized public health knowledge for my field specifically.., well not yet anyway..

ah okay then. I probably wouldn't attempt it myself. Do you think it would be a good idea emailing professors that do the type of research I'm interested in now? Or would it be better to wait until school started to start making the case for myself? I guess I'm just worried as coming off as too awkward or pompous because I really don't have that much specialized public health knowledge for my field specifically.., well not yet anyway..

I would definitely do that now. I did that when I was applying for doctoral programs and had my lab rotations pretty much lined up before I got there. I would think it would be similar here as well. Only thing, doctoral students will probably get first preference.

I would definitely do that now. I did that when I was applying for doctoral programs and had my lab rotations pretty much lined up before I got there. I would think it would be similar here as well. Only thing, doctoral students will probably get first preference.

Yeah I probably will. I'm also unsure of whether to contact them now, or to wait until after I visit in 2 weeks. The EH administrator is setting me up with some faculty members to talk to, and I don't know who I'll get to see, so it may be awkward if I have to talk to someone that I've emailed who gave me a negative response from an earlier email.

Hey, I received an email from the school I emailed and it was a generic email asking me to accept or decline the financial aid package (will not imply I accept or decline to attend the school). I log on and Lo and behold, I see a scholarship award! It is possible to get some money! It's not as much as what the other school gave me, but it's something!

Hey, I received an email from the school I emailed and it was a generic email asking me to accept or decline the financial aid package (will not imply I accept or decline to attend the school). I log on and Lo and behold, I see a scholarship award! It is possible to get some money! It's not as much as what the other school gave me, but it's something!

Mind if I ask for which school?

It was Emory and I emailed my corresponding ADAP for my last name, Jena Black.

Thanks. I'm wondering if it's even worth it for me to ask. I asked this earlier in the accepted/denied/WL thread and I was about to... but I have a small service scholarship from Emory, and just read that scholarships are not additive, so if I receive anything else from Emory, it would replace my service scholarship if it's larger. But i'm wondering if i'll even receive anything larger... Guess I'll never know unless I try.

Thanks. I'm wondering if it's even worth it for me to ask. I asked this earlier in the accepted/denied/WL thread and I was about to... but I have a small service scholarship from Emory, and just read that scholarships are not additive, so if I receive anything else from Emory, it would replace my service scholarship if it's larger. But i'm wondering if i'll even receive anything larger... Guess I'll never know unless I try.

Yeah, it never hurts to try. I honestly didn't get much money compared to what the other school gave me, but Emory's tuition is technically lower so with even a small scholarship from Emory and a big one from the other school, I don't save much money by attending the other.

Yeah, it never hurts to try. I honestly didn't get much money compared to what the other school gave me, but Emory's tuition is technically lower so with even a small scholarship from Emory and a big one from the other school, I don't save much money by attending the other.

Thanks! I just sent an email to my ADAP. Crossing my fingers, but i'm not going to expect anything. I do wonder if Emory has re-distributed any scholarship money yet. I believe someone mentioned that they wanted to know atleast a week in advance about scholarships so that they can redistribute.

Dangit I saw this and got excited because I got the same e-mail. Nope, still the same awards. Congrats on getting some more money!! I suppose it just makes the decision easier for me. Sigh...

Thanks! I just sent an email to my ADAP. Crossing my fingers, but i'm not going to expect anything. I do wonder if Emory has re-distributed any scholarship money yet. I believe someone mentioned that they wanted to know atleast a week in advance about scholarships so that they can redistribute.
It doesn't hurt to ask but based on the response I got it might be a faith based decision to attend at this point. However, maybe they just don't like me very much and will give you full tuition! ;)

It doesn't hurt to ask but based on the response I got it might be a faith based decision to attend at this point. However, maybe they just don't like me very much and will give you full tuition! ;)

haha I wish. It was a nope for me as well.