Asking programs about interview expectations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmNerd08

Residency Seeker
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

A little question: Is it okay to ask the Residency Program Director on what to expect during the on-site interview; you know, things like the agenda for the day, who's on the interview committee, how they do clinical skills assessment, and things like that? Is it okay to ask if they are contracting with a hotel or a car rental company for cheaper rates for interviewees, it gets financially tough when you have a handful of interviews :(.

I think such questions would help me prepare better. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

A little question: Is it okay to ask the Residency Program Director on what to expect during the on-site interview; you know, things like the agenda for the day, who's on the interview committee, how they do clinical skills assessment, and things like that? Is it okay to ask if they are contracting with a hotel or a car rental company for cheaper rates for interviewees, it gets financially tough when you have a handful of interviews :(.

I think such questions would help me prepare better. What do you guys think?

Thanks

All of my interviews have given or will be giving an agenda for the day to prepare. I'd ask - I think it's commonplace to get an agenda.

I don't know about residencies, but all the fellowship and jobs I have ever interviewed for have provided the agenda a couple days to a week in advance of the interview. If it is within a week of the interview date, you should indeed contact them.

And if they refuse, you would have to consider whether you want to work in a place that likes to surprise its employees and/or is too disorganized to create an agenda. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
so in the agenda, it tells me about the different department people i will meet in that 3 hours (After the initial meeting with residency director for 30 mins)....are all those people going to ask me questions, or will they just tell me what their department does?

so in the agenda, it tells me about the different department people i will meet in that 3 hours (After the initial meeting with residency director for 30 mins)....are all those people going to ask me questions, or will they just tell me what their department does?

Yes, they're all going to ask you questions. Be prepared.

any tips on types?

im assuming strength, weakness, why this program, how you unique, etc.

anything else?

(Im leaving out drug info questions, I guess hard to prepare for that one in short period of time)

I applied to managed care residencies and I have some interviews coming up. I was given an agenda for each one of them, however, I have no experience in managed care pharmacy nor do i know someone that does. I am not sure what type of questions they'll ask (other than behavioral questions), I am also supposed to do a presentation on a managed care topic-- which i've never done before. I am a little lost about how to do this presentation or how to prepare for any clinical/managed care related questions they might ask me. Can anyone help?

I am also supposed to do a presentation on a managed care topic-- which i've never done before. I am a little lost about how to do this presentation or how to prepare for any clinical/managed care related questions they might ask me. Can anyone help?

Find a managed care pharmacy journal and look at the contents to see hot topics. Value-based benefits, half-tab programs, specialty pharmacy, bio-identicals...there are a few subjects to search to get you started.

I've had an interview at a pretty well-known program that hardly asked any questions. Mostly just describing their role and then turning it over to me...very interesting experience for me. Didn't really know what to make of it.