Asking for residency advice from an M3 with a few blemishes on transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redrosesfi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I attend a low-tier US MD school on the east coast (not in WV) and I am a non-traditional student that started med school at age 30. I failed histology my first year and remediated it the following summer. During my second year I failed a capstone course (meaning I didn't pass one of the required shelf exams at the end of the year and did not sit for step 1), and had to repeat my whole M2 year per my school's policies. Though it was a shock at first and I wanted to continue with my classmates, it was honestly what I needed, because it helped me become more confident in my knowledge base. I've completed my second go around of M2 year recently and passed Step 1 on my first attempt! Now I'm in the middle of rotations for my M3 year and am open-minded about what to choose. Repeating my M2 year was very beneficial for me to be completely honest, my grades were higher the second time around and I passed my Step 1 exam. My question is, how do two Fs on my transcript look like? I'm not interested in anything super competitive, but what would I need to do for something like General surgery if that's what I choose? Please give me brutally honest feedback, as I enjoy constructive criticism. I am enjoying my third year of medical school and the opportunity to be in the hospital. Thanks.

My whole second year (first time) was online due to covid, and even if we had in-person instruction, perhaps the outcome would have been the same, as I take complete responsibility for my grades during medical school during that time.

Thanks for all the feedback, positive and negative!

TL;DR 2 Fs on transcript (1 during M1 year, 1 during M2 year), repeated M2 year successfully, passed Step 1 on first attempt

Members don't see this ad.

I won't speak to your competitiveness for any specific specialty, but will note that the whole point of remediation is to allow students like yourself the opportunity to succeed if you're willing and able to do so. You were clearly both of those things and now you're on to the good stuff.

I can't say that it won't have some effect on your app ultimately, but as long as you are successful going forward, perform well in your clinicals, do well on shelf exams and are able to get good LORs, you should be OK in the end. Not as competitive as you might be without the remediation year, but probably more successful than you would have been if you'd just muddled through and barely passed M2.

Reactions: 3 users
Hopefully you are busting your butt M3 year and doing well on rotations. I agree with GutOnc that all hope is not lost, but you did not mention if you barely passed step 1 or did decently on it - that might matter. If you have a home program in whatever specialty you decide to do, their support will be important.

Reactions: 1 user
Hopefully you are busting your butt M3 year and doing well on rotations. I agree with GutOnc that all hope is not lost, but you did not mention if you barely passed step 1 or did decently on it - that might matter. If you have a home program in whatever specialty you decide to do, their support will be important.
If OP is a recent M2, then their step 1 was pass/fail.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you still have lots of options but obviously the blemishes hurt. Your performance going forward is what will ultimately decide what’s possible. Hopefully you used that additional time wisely and your stronger knowledge base is translating into strong shelf scores and good clinical grades.

A failed year followed by a strong performance can be a convincing comeback story, shows resilience under a high pressure situation. If you’re thinking surgery and get your home program behind you and honor your clerkship and sub I, it would go a long way toward showing you could be a strong resident.

If your performance M3 is more borderline, then you look like a higher risk who may not make it through a surgical program.

I will add that one if my favorite general surgery attendings as a Med student had a framed letter on his office wall from his med school when he failed histology as an m1.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users