Ask your random questions about AADSAS here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it bad to ask schools why your application hasn't heard back?? I have above average stats for several schools and applied in June but no word. :(

Members don't see this ad.

What if you did a lot of shadowing in high school? Can you put that in your resume/ application? Also, how would they know if you actually did the hours you mentioned, do we have to have some sort of proof?

What if you did a lot of shadowing in high school? Can you put that in your resume/ application? Also, how would they know if you actually did the hours you mentioned, do we have to have some sort of proof?
You're applying to graduate school, don't put anything about high school.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They may check, they may not. But if they do decide to confirm it, you better be prepared for them to hear the right number. What I'm saying is, don't put something down only to have it not be verified because the school is getting a different number. Lets say you claimed 200 hours of shadowing at one particular dentist, but they call the office and the receptionist says that she remembers Johnny shadowing, the office enjoyed having you that one day. This can put you in a real pickle.

Let's use this thread again this cycle!

This isn't really about AADSAS, but for the personal statement...I haven't really had a specific experience that made me want to become a dentist. I really just want it for general reasons like hands-on work, science-related, working with people, personal growth, etc..But on the ADEA website it says "explain a defining moment that helped steer you toward a career in dentistry. Consider using that moment as the focal point of your essay". I don't have a "defining moment"...so what do I do?

Let's use this thread again this cycle!

This isn't really about AADSAS, but for the personal statement...I haven't really had a specific experience that made me want to become a dentist. I really just want it for general reasons like hands-on work, science-related, working with people, personal growth, etc..But on the ADEA website it says "explain a defining moment that helped steer you toward a career in dentistry. Consider using that moment as the focal point of your essay". I don't have a "defining moment"...so what do I do?

That's fine! Having a single moment that made you realize dentistry is your calling isn't a universal experience. It's your personal statement, make it about your experiences. The phrasing of their question is just trying to say "why dentistry? Base it on your personal experience". You listed several good topics (working with people, personal growth, etc). What defines you in your journey to dentistry? Did something cool happen when you were shadowing? Did you work as a dental assistant? Did your childhood dentist inspire you? Try to brainstorm about things like this before writing. Come up with a list of things that you want to bring up in your personal statement. Maybe involvement in a particularly important (to you) volunteering experience. Try and answer "why dentistry" in your essay.. that is the most encompassing topic.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I do chemistry research. I am currently writing a first author paper that me and my professor are submitting for review potentially end of July.

I know I don't have the publication out, but is there anyway for me to highlight this on my application somehow? If so, in what section?

I know it won't have the same impact as a fully released publication, but I thought it might help to put this down somewhere on my application. Anyone have experience with this?

They may check, they may not. But if they do decide to confirm it, you better be prepared for them to hear the right number. What I'm saying is, don't put something down only to have it not be verified because the school is getting a different number. Lets say you claimed 200 hours of shadowing at one particular dentist, but they call the office and the receptionist says that she remembers Johnny shadowing, the office enjoyed having you that one day. This can put you in a real pickle.

I did my shadowing freshman and sophomore years. Honestly, I don't think the dentist remember who I am by this point. I don't know how this'll work out for me. If the dentists/receptionists get phone calls, I don't think they will remember who I was. I don't know how this will work out with AADSAS.

That's fine! Having a single moment that made you realize dentistry is your calling isn't a universal experience. It's your personal statement, make it about your experiences. The phrasing of their question is just trying to say "why dentistry? Base it on your personal experience". You listed several good topics (working with people, personal growth, etc). What defines you in your journey to dentistry? Did something cool happen when you were shadowing? Did you work as a dental assistant? Did your childhood dentist inspire you? Try to brainstorm about things like this before writing. Come up with a list of things that you want to bring up in your personal statement. Maybe involvement in a particularly important (to you) volunteering experience. Try and answer "why dentistry" in your essay.. that is the most encompassing topic.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Hey thanks for the tips! I'll take all of these things into consideration.

How do you get an A+? Is that like school specific? My school has an A as 4.0 (usually 93% or 94% and up) and A- as 3.7.

Can you change the school of a planned course once you submit?

Like can you change projected courses? Yes, I sent projected courses in and I changed them when the semester stared, cause I just didn't like the classes topics and ideas. I switched for a more fun and informative class.

How do you get an A+? Is that like school specific? My school has an A as 4.0 (usually 93% or 94% and up) and A- as 3.7.

Your school has to offer it. Usually a 97+ sometimes 98+, curved classes usually the top student or top 2 students get it.

That's kinda cool. Getting such a high percent is definitely hard. The highest for an A at my school was 95% in physics this semester

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if an independent study and a Biology Seminar Class (both science related) for 1 credit should be calculated in the BCP or SGPA?

Can someone tell me if I understand this correctly: e-submitting your app June 1st vs. later in June is essentially the same thing because the "first batch" isn't sent out until late June. As long as you send in your transcripts (with matching form) and LORs as soon as the app opens, e-subitting your app early or late June won't make a difference (because transcripts and LORs take a while to process/verify).

Can someone tell me if I understand this correctly: e-submitting your app June 1st vs. later in June is essentially the same thing because the "first batch" isn't sent out until late June. As long as you send in your transcripts (with matching form) and LORs as soon as the app opens, e-subitting your app early or late June won't make a difference (because transcripts and LORs take a while to process/verify).

That's right!

So I was dumb and created my AADSAS login and stuff in like January and filled out most of it but then realized that was for the last cycle. Do I have to do anything to refresh the application? Currently it still shows all the old info I put in but won't let me change it because it says the application cycle is closed.

So I was dumb and created my AADSAS login and stuff in like January and filled out most of it but then realized that was for the last cycle. Do I have to do anything to refresh the application? Currently it still shows all the old info I put in but won't let me change it because it says the application cycle is closed.

Nah, I'm pretty sure AADSAS wipes everything out and starts with a clean slate on June 1. So yea, your old info won't be there.

Is it true that in the new application, we will be allowed to update stuff directly in our application?
If not, what is the procedure to update our application, say I have 30 more shadowing hours and I want to add them, how can I do that?
Thanks?

Is it true that in the new application, we will be allowed to update stuff directly in our application?
If not, what is the procedure to update our application, say I have 30 more shadowing hours and I want to add them, how can I do that?
Thanks?

Traditionally, you are able to update your academic status with ADEA AADSAS portal in regards to new grades, shadowing hours, extracurriculars and etc.

As a last resort, you can always email each dental school's admissions office email address with the academic update. This is what I ended up doing both pre and post December 1st. Every dental admissions office replied back in a timely manner stating that they added the academic update to my application.

Reactions: 1 users
I just read through UCSF's application procedures page and found this:

"Starting in the 2017-2018 cycle, UCSF supplemental questions are in the UCSF School section of the AADSAS application."

Does this mean that the supplemental questions have to be submitted when we submit the AADSAS application? Or is this a section that will be made available to us afterwards?

Traditionally, you are able to update your academic status with ADEA AADSAS portal in regards to new grades, shadowing hours, extracurriculars and etc.

As a last resort, you can always email each dental school's admissions office email address with the academic update. This is what I ended up doing both pre and post December 1st. Every dental admissions office replied back in a timely manner stating that they added the academic update to my application.
Thank you for your reply.

for volunteering hours can you write down hours that are in progress or can you only add hours that have been completed?