Ask Me Anything About the NBDE Part 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thunderdome23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently got my score back from the NBDE Part 1 and got a 90! I want to use this thread to help anyone with any questions on how to tackle this exam. Ask away!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I know but we have to start from somewhere.....right?
So start on right now....wish you all the best

Oh, actually I dont know about those explanations.....I have no idea....If you come to know please let me know...

congrat for the awesome scores... but i still have not found any info about the ethic cards on internet? i have a 04 version of dental decks

Members don't see this ad :)
i really appreciate ur efforts 2 guide others.m new 2 this forum.can u pls guide me.dere r some questions in my mind actually about how 2 proceed.
if nbde-1 sufficient to get into a dental school?
then ven 2 give nbde-2?
is dis make any difference if give both d exams n den apply into dental school?
if i want 2 take addmission in 2010 den vat month shud i plan 2 take d exam?i still have'n given toefl n even have'n even applied 4 evaluation
pls guide me.m really worried about d procedure.

hi congratulation about the score i just want to know if you read the new part one 2009 and if there is difference in content compare to the old one 2007 bec i was reading theold one i want to do the exam in july what is your sugestion do i read the new one or not
regard
Hi All,

I recently got my score back from the NBDE Part 1 and got a 90! I want to use this thread to help anyone with any questions on how to tackle this exam. Ask away!

hi congratulation about the score i just want to know if you read the new part one 2009 and if there is difference in content compare to the old one 2007 bec i was reading theold one i want to do the exam in july what is your sugestion do i read the new one or not
regard

I am very confused. What do you mean by "reading the old one" versus "the new one"? Are these practice exam you are referring to?

Yeah I know but we have to start from somewhere.....right?
So start on right now....wish you all the best

Oh, actually I dont know about those explanations.....I have no idea....If you come to know please let me know...

thunderdome and bddsgirl , pls respond to this

Which pm poses greatest difficulty when RCT or Extraction are being considered?

back in school days we learnt mand 1st pm - as enigma to endodontists,coz of variable root pattern

Decks says -max 1st pm, wat do u guys say? is it 'coz of the mesial concavity that this tooth is the one ?

i think its max 1st pm as it has 2 roots where as other premoalrs are single rooted and comparitivly easy to extract

??

Congrats on passing the NBDE part 1 thunderdome23!!! I wanted to know what sections or chapters I should concentrate on when reading the "MANAGEMENT OF TEMPOROMANDIBULAR DISORDERS AND OCCLUSION, 5TH EDITION BY OKESON"??? If you or anyone can give some information what chapters to read in depth on, I and others who are looking into this would greatly appreciate your help.
Thanks a bunch for all the help you have done for us in sharing your experience thunderdome23

thunderdome and bddsgirl , pls respond to this

Which pm poses greatest difficulty when RCT or Extraction are being considered?

back in school days we learnt mand 1st pm - as enigma to endodontists,coz of variable root pattern

Decks says -max 1st pm, wat do u guys say? is it 'coz of the mesial concavity that this tooth is the one ?

Hey Truthseeker, I would definitely go with maxillary first PM due to the mesial developmental depression and the mesial constriction in the pulp canal as well at the cervical cross-section.

If anyone has some other suggestion please let us know.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Truthseeker, I would definitely go with maxillary first PM due to the mesial developmental depression and the mesial constriction in the pulp canal as well at the cervical cross-section.

I agree, I it's the max 1st PM, because due to the concavity it is difficult to isolate the tooth with a metal band for pretty much any type of restorative or endodontic treatment.

Hey bddsgirl , thanks for being prompt. hw are studies goin on!
I was wondering , wat documents did you submit for ece , and did u opt for course by course evaluation, in the printed application format , they say general evaluation is required for NBDE . What did you do ?
Also any info about this , if toefl can be taken after the part 1 or is it always taken prior

ohh thats really great!!!
am just starting and biochem man somebdy's gotta gimme a spanking to make me do it.
btw where does one get the asda released papers explanations from ?any idea ??? am jus starting and everything is soo vast.......... :-(

Why don't you ask BDSgirl to give ya a spanking to help you get started :scared:, Listen take a deep breathe and relax, the released papers you can get off torrents, you know what I mean :rolleyes:, you can get everything you ever wanted to study for the dental boards. When I mean torrents, I mean like using demonoid.com w/ Vuze. Just look up what you want, or better yet, Just type in the search NBDE you'll find what you want, including released exams and what not.
Cheers!
Ohh bdsgirl don't spank him too hard! We need him Truthseeker to show up for the exam :laugh:

hi thunderdome.first of all congratulations n all the best for ur future.
im preparing for part1 n im using the same study material as yours but im also reading decks.i hv a question for you,i hv got qbank n im confused whether it would b helpful or not,coz i dont hv much time n still hv 2 do a lot of stuff including past papers.wat is ur opininon?thanks in advance...

hi thunderdome.first of all congratulations n all the best for ur future.
im preparing for part1 n im using the same study material as yours but im also reading decks.i hv a question for you,i hv got qbank n im confused whether it would b helpful or not,coz i dont hv much time n still hv 2 do a lot of stuff including past papers.wat is ur opininon?thanks in advance...

My personal opinion is that q bank is a waste of time. I haven't looked at it, but I know people who have and who felt that it had no benefit whatsoever. I have also seen sample questions from it and I do not at all think they reflect the questions on the real exam.

Hey bddsgirl , thanks for being prompt. hw are studies goin on!
I was wondering , wat documents did you submit for ece , and did u opt for course by course evaluation, in the printed application format , they say general evaluation is required for NBDE . What did you do ?
Also any info about this , if toefl can be taken after the part 1 or is it always taken prior

Hey Truthseeker,
My studies are going tooooooo boring with this BIOCHEM.......I just dont like biochem....I am giving a second revision to biochem but I still feel like I am reading it for the first time....but its only for one more day....and I am going to start Micro from July 1st......

For ece its better if you go for course by course evaluation because it is good both for NBDE and afterwards when you need to apply to universities.....they say general is required but they accept course by course too......i have confirmed that.........and the other documents would be your mark sheets for all the four years of study and your graduation Degree......and any internship certificate if you have......

Regarding toefl, you dont need it for NBDE test but then you need it for applying to schools.....so if you have time you can write toefl....if not, dont worry you can do it after your NBDE test.......

Hey DDS79,

Actually the best spanking for all of us here would be that this is the decision we made ourselves to write this test......no one forced us......so its upto us and our duty to do full justice to it and give our best........so, guys, God is with us and we will do it......just keep on studying......

Hey DDS79,

Actually the best spanking for all of us here would be that this is the decision we made ourselves to write this test......no one forced us......so its upto us and our duty to do full justice to it and give our best........so, guys, God is with us and we will do it......just keep on studying......
Spoken like a true Angel!! :love:,
Alrite you know what for Biochem I used, dont laugh! I used youtube to help refresh my biochemistry, my god you will find loads of stuff on there to help refresh your basics. I've been out of dental school for emm.. like 5yrs now, working overseas since then,but I figured I better get this exam over with and settle down. So anyhow yeah there are videos of an Indian Professor which I may add is wonderful, easy to understand and follow, and she makes biochem fun to learn. But anyhow good luck to you all and BDDSgirl I wouldn't mind getting spanked by you anytime :idea: JK,
Take care all, if you need any info on getting materials for free or whatever let me know. AS a rule we all are in the same boat and need to help each other out, don't be jews, and try to profit from one another selling materials, since we all are trying to achieve the same goal in life to be a Dentist!!!
SHARING IS CARING!!!

Hey DDS79,

Thanks for that.....I would definitely go and check that on you tube.....if that will make biochem a little fun.....

And I totally agree with you for that sharing thing.......I dont know why people here are just selling those things......

If we could be of some help to anyone, we should go ahead and do it......rather than fixing a price for the help.....

Hey DDS79,

Thanks for that.....I would definitely go and check that on you tube.....if that will make biochem a little fun.....

And I totally agree with you for that sharing thing.......I dont know why people here are just selling those things......

If we could be of some help to anyone, we should go ahead and do it......rather than fixing a price for the help.....

Hey BDDSgirl here is a link for you and all who are interested in learning the basics in biochem and everything else, this lady in the video is great. There are many other videos on various topics, take a look at it, and I hope it helps.
Cheers!
link---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj2g9Cf_IDc

Last edited:
Thanks a lot.....

Where are you guys preparing Micro from...because that is my next target......

I have my text book, Decks and ASDA papers for that......

What you guys think about NBDE Part 1 and kaplan dentessentials for Micro....

Thanks in advance

So some classmates and I have been trying to clarify something and I've been looking around and can't find an answer. With the recent changes to the NBDE1, do you have to pass EACH SECTION, or the test as a whole? Do you have to retake the entire exam if you get a 69 on the Biochem, for example?

Hey BDDSgirl here is a link for you and all who are interested in learning the basics in biochem and everything else, this lady in the video is great. There are many other videos on various topics, take a look at it, and I hope it helps.
Cheers!
link---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj2g9Cf_IDc

Hey DDS79......thanks so much for that link....I found it really helpful.....and Oh My God!!! she makes Biochem so easy......I am really grateful to you for that

Why don't you ask BDSgirl to give ya a spanking to help you get started :scared:, Listen take a deep breathe and relax, the released papers you can get off torrents, you know what I mean :rolleyes:, you can get everything you ever wanted to study for the dental boards. When I mean torrents, I mean like using demonoid.com w/ Vuze. Just look up what you want, or better yet, Just type in the search NBDE you'll find what you want, including released exams and what not.
Cheers!
Ohh bdsgirl don't spank him too hard! We need him Truthseeker to show up for the exam :laugh:

dds79 and bddsgirl, my intended spanking was a thoroughly MORAL one......
may be thunderdome23's gonna get a bit mad at the content of this post, as its gonna be slightly incoherent with the general mood of this discussion thread.

back from school days................

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

I guess we all are looking forward to this...........

:xf:

Last edited:
Thanks a lot.....

Where are you guys preparing Micro from...because that is my next target......

I have my text book, Decks and ASDA papers for that......

What you guys think about NBDE Part 1 and kaplan dentessentials for Micro....

Thanks in advance

know wat bddsgirl decks gives enough......dunno how much of time hav u allocated for it......., am sure you mus hav been thorough with most of general i.e. clinical and internal medicine.....
Oral pathology is a given aspect for most ppl who swear by hine-levy-shafers, am sure you must be good at it, dont worry.....its gonna be fine:)

with regard to NBDE first aid, which edition did you finally end up receiving?
no clue about dentessentials too.....

My personal opinion is that q bank is a waste of time. I haven't looked at it, but I know people who have and who felt that it had no benefit whatsoever. I have also seen sample questions from it and I do not at all think they reflect the questions on the real exam.

Hey thunderdome23,

wat portions in NBDE first aid had max mistakes......like which chapters or subjects..........
can you pls give ur inputs .

So some classmates and I have been trying to clarify something and I've been looking around and can't find an answer. With the recent changes to the NBDE1, do you have to pass EACH SECTION, or the test as a whole? Do you have to retake the entire exam if you get a 69 on the Biochem, for example?

You do not have to pass each section.A composite score(that is calculated based on all 4 subjects) of 75 is considered pass.

You do not have to pass each section.A composite score(that is calculated based on all 4 subjects) of 75 is considered pass.
THANK YOU for finally answering. One last request: Where can I find that documentation, to prove to my classmates? I spent an hr of my NBDE prep time today looking for it, lol.

know wat bddsgirl decks gives enough......dunno how much of time hav u allocated for it......., am sure you mus hav been thorough with most of general i.e. clinical and internal medicine.....
Oral pathology is a given aspect for most ppl who swear by hine-levy-shafers, am sure you must be good at it, dont worry.....its gonna be fine:)

with regard to NBDE first aid, which edition did you finally end up receiving?
no clue about dentessentials too.....

Hey Truthseeker,

I have started with my text book for Micro.....I have dedicated whole 20 days for Micro book, decks for micro and asda papers......I just wish I would be done with Micro in these 20 days.......

I got the earlier edition from amazon......I dont know if it makes a difference....because the thing is that I consider my text books as the main source of study, decks for additional knowledge and asda to check my knowledge......so this NBDE first aid would be just for reference.......

So what topics are you studying right now.....

Hey, I am not able to study more than 5-6 hours in a day.....I wish to study for atleast 7-8 hours.......i think the only way is to get up EARLY in the morning......I am going to try it from tomorrow..........and I know i have to put snooze on since I am very good at putting off the alarms........I am best at this part.......:laugh:

Ok, I was just told by a very reliable source that you DO have to pass each section, not just get a total score of 75.

Ok, I was just told by a very reliable source that you DO have to pass each section, not just get a total score of 75.

This is what my score report says:Candidate has achieved a score of 75 or higher on the comprehensive Part 1 examination and has therefore successfully completed all Part 1 requirements.

Obviously,I cant send you my report.I assure you that if you get a comprehensive score of 75,you will be considered to have passed the exam.Also I would like to add that I scored less than 75 in bio-chem.Good luck!

P.S:I am surprised that you dont have any seniors/friends at school who would be willing to show their score reports to you!:cool:

are the questions in order of each subject? like 100 of dental anatomy first and then 100 of biochem/physio, etc.?

or

Are all 400 questions just randomized from each subject?

Do you have enough time to take the exam? Do you get time/section or total of 7.5hrs for 400 questions?

how long does it really take to get the scores? I know it says 3-4 weeks on their website but I heard some people get it in a week. Is that true?

P.S:I am surprised that you dont have any seniors/friends at school who would be willing to show their score reports to you!:cool:

What can I say, I'm kind of a loner, haha. No I have some friends who were seniors, they've graduated now, plus the exam has changed some since they took it. I don't know a lot of the upcoming 3rd/4th yrs, so I'm left with asking classmates and SDN. An associate dean here at the school is also on an NBDE committee and told us that you have to get a 75 in addition to passing each section, or you get to retake the whole thing. Oh well, guess I'll keep studying hard.

What can I say, I'm kind of a loner, haha. No I have some friends who were seniors, they've graduated now, plus the exam has changed some since they took it. I don't know a lot of the upcoming 3rd/4th yrs, so I'm left with asking classmates and SDN. An associate dean here at the school is also on an NBDE committee and told us that you have to get a 75 in addition to passing each section, or you get to retake the whole thing. Oh well, guess I'll keep studying hard.

as far as I know..you just have to get a total score of std score of 75..so you could potentially fail like 2 sections and do really good in the other 2 and still pass..

are the questions in order of each subject? like 100 of dental anatomy first and then 100 of biochem/physio, etc.?

or

Are all 400 questions just randomized from each subject?

Do you have enough time to take the exam? Do you get time/section or total of 7.5hrs for 400 questions?

Randomized pattern and it is 7 hrs exam not 7.5 hrs. 3.5 hrs for the first 200 and 3.5 hrs for the next 200 questions with an hour optional break.

Did you not read the candidate guide before applying?Like they say,start at the beginning!

Randomized pattern and it is 7 hrs exam not 7.5 hrs. 3.5 hrs for the first 200 and 3.5 hrs for the next 200 questions with an hour optional break.

Did you not read the candidate guide before applying?Like they say,start at the beginning!

i did quite some time ago so I didn't remember. thanks for clarifying.

Hi Thunderdome,

Congrats on such an awesome score! :)

I had a quick question. How did you score on the 1998 exam? I just took that practice test and wanted to see how it compared to the actual exam.

Thank you so much for helping all of us. You're so kind to do this! :)

Hello
thank you for starting this thread!
I'm very confused... I need some help
I'm from Saudi Arabia, and I'm going all the way to the US to take the NBDE part 1 this year..
I have some questions:

1-where do I get the old exams from?
2-dental decks flashcards are sold for 220$!:scared:http://www.dentaldecks.com/pages/Product.aspx?productID=1
is there anyway i could get them for a lesser price? or maybe download them? torrents?
3-I have medEssentials Kaplan book... but it's very detailed, do I need it?
and they provide online courses and lectures in Kaplan.com, do I need those?

So far, the materials im going to study from are:
(based on what I undrestood from this thread)

-NBDE First Aid
-USMLE First Aid (for biochem and micro)
-Released Exams (mainly 1998 and 2004)
-Netters for anatomy atlas (for pics)
-Pathology Made Ridiculously Simple.
-dental decks flashcards for all + ethics

are those enough? do I need anything else?
please help me :(
I thank you all

i joined sdn network today and i recieved my nbde part 1 scores today i got 81 :( i knw this is not a good score.my gpa is 4.00:) and my toefl scores is 113/120:) .i just need ur advise tht should i give my nbde part 1 again ?or do u think with this score there is a possibility tht i can get into a dental school plzzz help me

i joined sdn network today and i recieved my nbde part 1 scores today i got 81 :( i knw this is not a good score.my gpa is 4.00:) and my toefl scores is 113/120:) .i just need ur advise tht should i give my nbde part 1 again ?or do u think with this score there is a possibility tht i can get into a dental school plzzz help me

Man you've truly rocked on your GPA and on Tofel.Wow!but i guess you'll have to repeat the part 1.With your calliber it's defenitely not difficult to repeat part1.All the best

Would you mind sharing your raw scores with us?

congrats thunderdome on 90! amazing
i am prep. for 1 too. i just cant finish my kaplan review been stuck on micro 4 like 2 months btw i also practise here in my country...so that also uses my time...i need some1 2 guide me if i am not making a mistake by doing review book...bvut then i just cant recollect ne thing when i start reading first aid!