Ask an Air Force Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How does the masters portion of the postgraduate program work? I noticed that certain schools do reserve spots for military personnel. The military just provides the advanced certificate portion of it?:confused:

Also I've read people say that if you want to make a career in the military you pretty much have to specialize. Why does it work out like that?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
AFDDS,
I read in one of the websites that except for Elmerdorf AFB for most AEGD programs you are there for one year. Does this mean that if you are stationed at in AK, one will most likely have this AFB as their first duty station?

In addition I also read that all AEGD programs are very similar but they vary slightly. Is the variation in the academic curriculum, or is it a variation based on maybe staff:resident ration and clinical setting?

Thanks!

AFDDS,

Great thread! If residency programs want GRE scores, should I take them now while my wheels are still turning from undergrad or do the schools want them within a certain timeframe? Thanks!

AFA 08
UCLA 12

Members don't see this ad :)
blankguy,
Our residencies at Lackland, that offer a masters, are associated with UT San Antonio. The masters work is done through them. It's possible that the programs currently not offering a masters will in the future, but that's still to be determined.

Completing a specialty program isn't 100% a must, but when it comes time for promotion to Col, it can make a difference. Completing a specialty or AEGD-2 gives you the opportunity to become board certified. That will offer you more money and one more thing on your record. All that being said, you can definitely make Col without specializing.

DR Dentist 09,
This is the first year for our program at Elmendorf. When you get stationed at an OCONUS location, you get a minimum 3-year assignment. At CONUS locations, you don't. Current rules don't allow you to move after one year at that OCONUS location and AK is considered OCONUS. We expect this year's class (class of 09) will stay here. That may or may not be the case in the future.

All AF programs are very similar. Our curriculum is discussed and shared from year to year. The only real difference in the programs is that some have a pediatric dentist and some don't. Otherwise, we are at least one deep in Pros (some have 2-3), OMS (again some have 2), perio (some have 2), endo, ortho, and most have 2-3 AEGD-2 trained General Dentists. All program directors in the AF are AEGD-2 trained. Rotations are set up to keep the staff:resident ratio very favorable in each clinic. It doesn't matter that much where you go, you will get top notch training.

Guswho,
Not necessarily. Your GRE needs to be less than 5 years old when your scores go to the residency board. Depending on when you apply, that could mean you need to wait at least a year. If you're planning on applying right out of dental school, just make sure your score will be current when you apply.

You really need to take the GRE to get into a specialty program in the military? I never knew that. Also, on that website it does not say whether or not those accepted were fresh grads or those with some time served under their belts. Is it true that getting into a specialty program right out of school (without the AEGD) is next to impossible?

As of now, my GPA is above those averages listed for ortho, OMFS, and endo specialties (the three I have in mind). I'm not certain which specialty may spark an interest for me yet, but I'm also interested to hear about an applicants chance of specializing straight out of dental school.

If it's next to impossible, will doing an AEGD significantly increase your chances of specializing, or if you already have the numbers is it really that necessary?

Hi AFDDS:

What is the minimum commitment one can sign for in the AF?
A couple of years ago it use to be 2, 3 or a 4 commitment!!!

Thanks

Are you familiar with the USAA loan. I have a few friends who did ROTC in college and were eligible for 25k at 2%. To my understanding, the USAA is the credit union of the AF? Actually any information at all regarding this would be helpful.

Thank you for your replies in the past, you have been very helpful.

Are you familiar with the USAA loan. I have a few friends who did ROTC in college and were eligible for 25k at 2%. To my understanding, the USAA is the credit union of the AF? Actually any information at all regarding this would be helpful.

Thank you for your replies in the past, you have been very helpful.

I know a bit about the loan, because I think I'm going to do it myself.....yeah, you can request up to $25,000, but you can do less if you want....I'm pretty sure it's a fixed APR of 2%. You qualify if you are either within 18 months of commissioning, or a newly commissioned officer within one year of commissioning....I commissioned last December, so I still qualify until this Dec.......All you have to do is open a USAA no-fee checking account......the loan is a personal loan and you can use the money any way you'd like....Hope this helps

I'm not familiar with the USAA loan. USAA is a good company. They are available to all uniformed services.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering what competitive board scores were if I would like to specialized in one of the Air Force programs.

nailz,
I presume you mean national board scores. It would depend on the program, but high 80's to high 90's would help.

I know a bit about the loan, because I think I'm going to do it myself.....yeah, you can request up to $25,000, but you can do less if you want....I'm pretty sure it's a fixed APR of 2%. You qualify if you are either within 18 months of commissioning, or a newly commissioned officer within one year of commissioning....I commissioned last December, so I still qualify until this Dec.......All you have to do is open a USAA no-fee checking account......the loan is a personal loan and you can use the money any way you'd like....Hope this helps

I believe you are required to pay it back in 5 years time as well.

USAA is INCREDIBLE...wonderful service...

Best auto insurance, renters insurance imaginable! We've totaled two cars in the past few years, are currently insuring 3 vehicles (one new toyota), have renters insurance, and pay less than $100 per month. :thumbup:

Best auto insurance, renters insurance imaginable! We've totaled two cars in the past few years, are currently insuring 3 vehicles (one new toyota), have renters insurance, and pay less than $100 per month. :thumbup:

Glad you have had such a great experience with USAA, I, unfortunately, cannot say the same about their auto insurance. Their banking services though, are great!

Glad you have had such a great experience with USAA, I, unfortunately, cannot say the same about their auto insurance. Their banking services though, are great!

Do tell. For me, it's always been a quick response with adjustors...and very efficient, friendly phone service.

Never used their banking services...I've never seen any of their banking locations anywhere? How do you cash checks?

Last I checked, the USAA loan was 2% to be repaid in 3 years and your first payment begins after 90 days of getting the loan. If I remember right, the monthly payments were something like $385/month. Even though when you accept the HPSP scholarship you are commissioned, USAA's policy for students is you must be within 18 months of graduation before you can get the loan.

Also worth noting, their savings accounts at drawing at least 4% right now, so you could do as a buddy of mine did and take out the loan and put it right into a USAA savings account and actually make a little money on the loan.

I've been with USAA a short time now, but have nothing but good things to say about them. I also had some issues with them about 4 years ago in regards to an auto insurance claim that my wife had, but no other problems since then.

Do tell. For me, it's always been a quick response with adjustors...and very efficient, friendly phone service.

Never used their banking services...I've never seen any of their banking locations anywhere? How do you cash checks?

Just slight issues with damages they wanted me to pay out of pocket, but it was 50% their fault, 50% the body shop. I can't complain too much but other than that I haven' had any problems.

Last I checked, the USAA loan was 2% to be repaid in 3 years and your first payment begins after 90 days of getting the loan. If I remember right, the monthly payments were something like $385/month. Even though when you accept the HPSP scholarship you are commissioned, USAA's policy for students is you must be within 18 months of graduation before you can get the loan.

Also worth noting, their savings accounts at drawing at least 4% right now, so you could do as a buddy of mine did and take out the loan and put it right into a USAA savings account and actually make a little money on the loan.

I've been with USAA a short time now, but have nothing but good things to say about them. I also had some issues with them about 4 years ago in regards to an auto insurance claim that my wife had, but no other problems since then.

Thanks for the info. So I guess you can get it right after fall semester of your junior year. Maybe I'll use part of it to pay off first year loans that are running at ~7 and 8% interest rates.

AFDDS

Thanks for all of your help! Huge resource!

I just met with my recruiters and turned in everything. App Workbook, Med Prescreening forms, LOEs, Transcripts, Test Scores, and IDs. My next step is the military physical (hopefully next week) and then a phone interview with a General before it goes to the board. I'm pumped about all of this! Is there anything i can do at this point to push this through faster or help my cause? Are there any connections I should be trying to make or people that can pull strings i should be trying to contact? :luck:

Sorry, this may be helpful.

I'm applying for the 4 yr HPSP for the class of 2013 starting fall 2009.

I met with the recruiters this past Tuesday.

Thanks!

Herme,
Looks like you're doing everything right at this point. The best connection you can make now is at your interview. Be confident and honest and you'll do fine.

At this point, staying in touch with your recruiter is still a must. Make sure everything has been received and forwarded to the proper offices. If you have copies or can get copies of everything that is a good idea. That way, if you're told something has been misplaced or is missing, you can send out a copy.

Good Luck.

AFDDS-

I recall that sometime each year a student does an active duty tour of 45 days at their school. I do know if your school doesn't give you the time off then you just go ahead and do what you normally do.

I'd like to know generally when these active duty tours begin? If there is a pay increase during this time (if so how much), and if these active duty tours count towards your active duty payback following graduation?

Thanks.

KOM

From what I've heard, the 45 AD days are mid summer, and yes, if your school runs year-round, then your assignment is to "go to school." During the 45 days, you do not get your stipend, but you get a lump payment of your 2nd Lieutenant pay, which is a little more than your stipend pay. They told me about $3,000 instead of the $1,907. PLUS, you get the mililtary benefits during those 45 AD days. So that's when you'd want to plan any medical things.

Thanks dude!

KOM,
Herme is correct. Most people do the "go to school" thing. The time doesn't count toward your payback.

AFDDS

What is "Stop Loss" and how could it come into play for AF hpsp people? I've gathered some idea of what it is, but nothing very clear. Thanks in advance!

Herme,
Stop loss is a program the military uses when they have a critical shortage of certain jobs. Essentially, it means when your enlistment is up or you've reached time to retire and you are in one of those jobs, you're commitment is extended. The AF hasn't used it for dental and probably never will. We've had good year this year and less people than our average have separated or retired. We're not fully manned, but close enough that stop loss won't be an issue and should not affect you at all.

AFDDS, thank you for all your answers, they help a lot. However, I am considering a AF HPSP and in a special situation. I am currently a D1 out of state student, and plan to apply for 3-years commitment. My wife will come to the same school as mine the year later. So when I graduate, she will be still finishing her last year. Is it possible for me to have a year off to stay and wait for her before I start my 3-years payback. Or is it Ok to pratice 1 year at the base near my school then move to the base near my hometown ?

hoak,
You'll be required to start your payback when you graduate. I've known several people in your situation and I'm stationed with someone like that now. The AF is very good at keeping you close to your spouse if possible. For example, he and his wife were one year apart at Ohio State. He graduated and completed an AEGD at Wright Patterson AFB while she finished up Dental School. They both moved here right after she graduated. Some of this will depend on where you are located now and what your plans are.

What base are you near? Are you planning on attending an AEGD program? Is your wife going to be on HPSP?

Hello, I'm very new to this forum, but decided to join because of this thread!

Anyhow, I'm currently in the AF and looking for different ways to complete my degree. I've considered ROTC program, but I'm not sure if it'll be a good choice for me, since I'd have to attend OTS right after my degree completion. I was looking at AECP, but I'm not sure I'd ge able to attend a dental school afterwards.

Any advise?

Hello, I'm very new to this forum, but decided to join because of this thread!

Anyhow, I'm currently in the AF and looking for different ways to complete my degree. I've considered ROTC program, but I'm not sure if it'll be a good choice for me, since I'd have to attend OTS right after my degree completion. I was looking at AECP, but I'm not sure I'd ge able to attend a dental school afterwards.

Any advise?

I'm in the same boat as you. I am looking at finishing my degree too through AECP because it pays while you go to school but after that I don't want to be stuck as a butter bar and not be able to attend med school. I heard USUHS and HPSP are good programs to look into, but there is no promise you will get in right after AECP. If you find out anything, let me know and I will let you know if I find something out.

Jason

I'm in the same boat as you. I am looking at finishing my degree too through AECP because it pays while you go to school but after that I don't want to be stuck as a butter bar and not be able to attend med school. I heard USUHS and HPSP are good programs to look into, but there is no promise you will get in right after AECP. If you find out anything, let me know and I will let you know if I find something out.

Jason

I believe you can get into ROTC program (I guess AECP could be considered one of them even though you won't be taking 'AF leadership classes') as 'pre-med' and get into USUHS.. I've been just calling so many different people, recruiters, and even the OTS to find out if my question could be answered...but no luck yet....

I believe you can get into ROTC program (I guess AECP could be considered one of them even though you won't be taking 'AF leadership classes') as 'pre-med' and get into USUHS.. I've been just calling so many different people, recruiters, and even the OTS to find out if my question could be answered...but no luck yet....
I've been doing the same thing. I've been trying to call the health care recruiter here and no answer. I've shot a lot of people emails and i'm getting no where. The only thing holding me back from doing the AECP is knowing if I can do med school after.

hoak,
You'll be required to start your payback when you graduate. I've known several people in your situation and I'm stationed with someone like that now. The AF is very good at keeping you close to your spouse if possible. For example, he and his wife were one year apart at Ohio State. He graduated and completed an AEGD at Wright Patterson AFB while she finished up Dental School. They both moved here right after she graduated. Some of this will depend on where you are located now and what your plans are.

What base are you near? Are you planning on attending an AEGD program? Is your wife going to be on HPSP?

I am in New York right now, and the closest base is McGuire which is in New Jersey (90 min from Manhattan :( ). I hope my wife also gets in HPSP too. Can I work at New Jersey base for 1 year then move to California base ?

AFDDS-

I recall that sometime each year a student does an active duty tour of 45 days at their school. I do know if your school doesn't give you the time off then you just go ahead and do what you normally do.

I'd like to know generally when these active duty tours begin? If there is a pay increase during this time (if so how much), and if these active duty tours count towards your active duty payback following graduation?

Thanks.

KOM,
For the past two years I have had my 45 day AD mid Jan to Feb. During this time you obviously are in your spring semester of dental school. Their only requirement for active duty is that you do not travel out of the country. You will usually get an email about a month prior to the start of AD that states when the dates are and if you are planning to go out of the country to let them know so they can make arrangements. You do get two nice paychecks during the 45-day period and there is usually a smaller paycheck that is part of your stipend. Outside of those you get a small paycheck (about $200) that were your BAH I think.

AJMP,
Not sure about the AECP. With ROTC, you're not always able to go to dental school right away. You have to get an educational waiver so you don't go, but sometimes those get turned down. If you are in the AF now, a good resource for you is the dental clinic on base. Someone there should be able to help you with questions and give you some info on what others have done. Most people I know have either separated to complete school or were able to do Palace Chase and pay for school with loans.

hoak,
If you decide not to do an AEGD and get stationed at McGuire you will be there for up to 4 years most likely. A possible option for you is to do an AEGD at Langley or Bolling and then if she comes in and you want to go to California, she could ask for the AEGD at Travis and you could move there when you finish up your program. If you are not intersted in an AEGD and want California, you'll need to go there right out of school.

Sorry for the repetition, but by AEGD = neutral year that means it doesn't count at all toward your 8 year obligation correct? In my case, if I have a 3 year scholarship and do a 1 year AEGD, I will still owe 3 years active duty and 5 years IR correct?

My recruiter keeps insisting that it will count towards a year of IR time.

Thanks.

KOM,
I'm not sure about the IRR time. It definitely will not count against your payback time. That's a rule congress set up and basically says you can't payback education time with education time.

The chances of you being called up while on IRR is pretty slim. I spent 2 years on IRR as an infantryman from 1996-1998 and didn't get called up. The AF has never called a dentist out of IRR that I'm aware of.

Also, the neutral year isn't big deal. It's only 12 months and gives you some great experience that you just can't get from weekend CE courses. Even if you still owe three years, your talking about 4 years of good clinical experience to then go start your practice.

hi, im in the 3-year hpsp program and in my senior year at dental school. im so glad to read all the posts full of information. i was wondering if i could have your name [email protected] so when i have an interview for aegd i could quote you, if you dont mind. thanks a lot!

AFDDS

I passed my MEPS physical this past Friday-brutally long! Glad that's over! All of my application is complete and with my recruiter. My next step will be the interview with the Captain or Major-hopefully at the end of this week. What kind of things do they ask/talk about for this? I'm not really worried about it. I usually do well in interivews, but it would be nice to have an idea of any surprise questions they may pull out or anything like that. Any advice?

Thanks!

AFDDS

I passed my MEPS physical this past Friday-brutally long! Glad that's over! All of my application is complete and with my recruiter. My next step will be the interview with the Captain or Major-hopefully at the end of this week. What kind of things do they ask/talk about for this? I'm not really worried about it. I usually do well in interivews, but it would be nice to have an idea of any surprise questions they may pull out or anything like that. Any advice?

Thanks!

Herme,
Congratulations! Wishing you the best. I know the question wasn't directed to me but to share a bit of my interview they asked me why I wanted to join the program, why I wanted to be a dentist, why I chose the Air Force, and what I saw myself doing 10 years from now. The Major who interviewed me just asked me a lot of personal questions to get to know me better. One of my concerns was that being Hispanic it was going to be hard to explain to my parents that I joined the military and she offered to speak to them and explain it to them if necessary. All in all it was very laid back and there were no "surprises",

Herme,
Congratulations! Wishing you the best. I know the question wasn't directed to me but to share a bit of my interview they asked me why I wanted to join the program, why I wanted to be a dentist, why I chose the Air Force, and what I saw myself doing 10 years from now. The Major who interviewed me just asked me a lot of personal questions to get to know me better. One of my concerns was that being Hispanic it was going to be hard to explain to my parents that I joined the military and she offered to speak to them and explain it to them if necessary. All in all it was very laid back and there were no "surprises",

Dr Dentist

Thanks for the info. Good tips to think about so I have some good answers, although most of those questions I've had to think about long and hard in order to make the decision to go with the AF, so I don't foresee any problems giving answers. I'm pretty pumped about all of this. I'm getting so tired of waiting for everything though! AF and dental schools-it's driving me crazy.

Herme,
I couldn't say it any better than Dr. Dentist. Typically, this type of interview is just to get to know you better, maybe a little info is given to you, but it will be a piece of cake. Congratulations and look forward to seeing you on active duty.

What kind of loan is this? Thanks

Last edited:
What kind of loan is this? Thanks

It's called the career starter loan from USAA. But I was wrong about the requirements. For people on the HPSP, you have to be within 18 months of graduation, or 12 months after graduation.