ASK an accepted DO student with ORM & low SES status anything.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChosenBrotherRaoh

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Read thread. I'm an ORM, born to high school dropout immigrant parents.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I posted this in another thread but I thought I'd ask you as well.

I am a Chemistry student at (arguably) the best, most renown university in Canada. This could be either one of two schools but I don't want to disclose for privacy reasons.

My GPA breakdown:

My cumulative GPA: 3.25
My science GPA: 3.2
GPA of last 100 credit hours (120 total)= 3.7

Basically, as you can see, I screwed up my first year of University with a couple of F's, C's and a D that sadly I could not take back. Just to give you an idea, in the last 100 credits of university, I did not earn less than an A except 2 times where I earned a B.

I will have a letter from a gastroenterologist (DO), an MD mentor from my hometown, 2 chemistry professors and a volunteer coordinator from the hospital.

I've volunteered as follows:
Volunteering in the Renal Dialysis unit at the hospital where I gave company to patients who would be hooked up the dialysis machine, volunteer in the emergency room at another hospital where I coordinate between patients and staff, staff and family, etc. I also give company to the many geriatric patients in the ward. I have worked with children as an optometrist assistant where I performed retinal imaging. I coach hockey to children 16-20 at the minor league level.

I've shadowed a gastroenterologist in the USA and followed him around when he was on-call for 3 days in a row.

I conduct research as an undergraduate student in the field of neuroscience. I am not published but have taken on a graded independent study course.

I am currently studying for the MCAT and want to know what a realistic score would be for me to have a shot at a DO school in the US. Would it be advisable to take more courses as well, @Goro ? Such as more anatomy, immunology, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Hi, I posted this in another thread but I thought I'd ask you as well.

I am a Chemistry student at (arguably) the best, most renown university in Canada. This could be either one of two schools but I don't want to disclose for privacy reasons.

My GPA breakdown:

My cumulative GPA: 3.25
My science GPA: 3.2
GPA of last 100 credit hours (120 total)= 3.7

Basically, as you can see, I screwed up my first year of University with a couple of F's, C's and a D that sadly I could not take back. Just to give you an idea, in the last 100 credits of university, I did not earn less than an A except 2 times where I earned a B.

I will have a letter from a gastroenterologist (DO), an MD mentor from my hometown, 2 chemistry professors and a volunteer coordinator from the hospital.

I've volunteered as follows:
Volunteering in the Renal Dialysis unit at the hospital where I gave company to patients who would be hooked up the dialysis machine, volunteer in the emergency room at another hospital where I coordinate between patients and staff, staff and family, etc. I also give company to the many geriatric patients in the ward. I have worked with children as an optometrist assistant where I performed retinal imaging. I coach hockey to children 16-20 at the minor league level.

I've shadowed a gastroenterologist in the USA and followed him around when he was on-call for 3 days in a row.

I conduct research as an undergraduate student in the field of neuroscience. I am not published but have taken on a graded independent study course.

I am currently studying for the MCAT and want to know what a realistic score would be for me to have a shot at a DO school in the US. Would it be advisable to take more courses as well, @Goro ? Such as more anatomy, immunology, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

As a Canadian, I'm sure you know that competition is incredibly fierce in your own country.

As a canadian, applying to US schools has its own pitfalls and perils. Not all schools are fond of International students. I can name only a few off the top of my head, KCU and MSUCOM.

My friends who matriculated to KCU, had a 508+.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a Canadian, I'm sure you know that competition is incredibly fierce in your own country.

As a canadian, applying to US schools has its own pitfalls and perils. Not all schools are fond of International students. I can name only a few off the top of my head, KCU and MSUCOM.

My friends who matriculated to KCU, had a 508+.

I thought that there is a considerable group of schools that consider Canadian applicants on the same level as " out of state" Americans. Any truth to this?

Almost all DO schools take Canadians. Some will require that you show the ability to pay for 4 years (PCOM, for example) and other just need you to show that you can pay for the first year (Nova for example). You're best off looking at each schools website and contacting them individually. It's unlikely you'll get accurate information any other way since most US students aren't familiar with the process for Canadians.

I thought that there is a considerable group of schools that consider Canadian applicants on the same level as " out of state" Americans. Any truth to this?

3.2 gpa, 490 mcat, super strong ECs, would any DO program even look at my application?

3.2 gpa, 490 mcat, super strong ECs, would any DO program even look at my application?

Honestly, no. Many schools start screening at 492. You won't even get a supplemental application. Retake the MCAT. It is a must.

None. Re-take MCAT. Apply next cycle.

Anecdotal, but I know 3 students with <493 and higher GPA than you who applied and got 0 II.

Most schools? Can you elaborate or are you referring to the ~22 that accept international students?

What's your stats? I'm ORM as well.
I have two C's in General Chemistry. So..don't be shy :D

If you had to choose, Del Taco or taco bell?