ASA dress code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dantrolene FC

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 4th year medical student and will be attending the ASA conference this weekend. I am planning on participating in the meet and greet with the program directors on Saturday in addition to other activities.

Should I wear something business casual like khakis and a dress shirt, or should I wear a suit and tie to the conference?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a 4th year medical student and will be attending the ASA conference this weekend. I am planning on participating in the meet and greet with the program directors on Saturday in addition to other activities.

Should I wear something business casual like khakis and a dress shirt, or should I wear a suit and tie to the conference?

Thanks in advance.

most attendees will be business casual. You will, though, see a few in jeans or shorts and a few wearing ties.

Business casual at the least for a prospective student - you want to leave a good impression and rolling up in a polo, shorts and flip flops sends the wrong message (we saw that when I was a resident at the ASA, bad look). Save that for when you attend a conference and you’re not trying to impress anyone.

I’d probably rock a suit, personally.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Scrubs and a bouffant hat - don’t forget the mask and shoe covers.

Attachments

• C7F83194-72EF-4D5A-8CA9-6614859E67E2.jpeg
    C7F83194-72EF-4D5A-8CA9-6614859E67E2.jpeg
    565.2 KB · Views: 68
Business causal. Young men in suit look like Mormon missionary (I assume you are a male).

Besides, it is in Orlando, not Chicago.

Thanks in advance.
You're overthinking this kid.....show up like 95% of the attendees do: hung over, bleary-eyed, and wearing whatever you stumble into in the morning.

Reactions: 4 users
As a prospective future anesthesiologist, you should try to dress the part: scrub top with ass-less chaps.

Reactions: 2 users
I hear that Rompers are making a comeback. Bonus points if you’re a male wearing one.

I’ve been told, “Dress for the job you want, not the job that you currently have.”

Thanks in advance.

First of all - good thought to ask.

People dress anywhere between business casual to suit and tie (with a sprinkle of jeans + T/polo).

As an MS4 trying to impress I'd err on the side of dressier. Khakis with dress shirt, tie, and navy sport coat would be fine. Suited up would be fine. Business casual is probably fine too.

Basically you'll be fine but dress up rather than down.

(leave the prom tux at home)

Business casual would probably be fine, but I would wear a suit as well if I were in your spot.

It’s freaking central Florida. Weather is still in the mid 80s even in October. Dress comfortably. Khakis and short sleeve dress shirt or polo shirt is fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Young men in suit look like Mormon missionary

This one made me laugh. I am a former Mormon missionary. I definitely suited up when I went to ASA Meet and Greet as an MS4, haha. I was not the only one in a suit, it didn't feel out of place, plenty of people were business casual.

Now, as just another slob with nothing to prove, if I was going to ASA it would be sandals and shorts for me, especially in Florida.

Dress nice for the program directors meet and greet. That event likely isn’t going to get you remembered, unless you are the guy in cutoff blue jeans and a belly shirt.

Dress pants, shirt, tie for Sat or suit, either is fine.
Wear a polo shirt or button up with khakis or something equivalent the rest of the time.