As a dermatologist, do you ever travel the world?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

john7991

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I love medicine, but I also love family and the idea of a work life balance. I want to have time to travel the world and make great memories outside of the office. I read that dermatologists probably have the best balance.

Do you or do you know of a dermatologist who can say they have the time to do extra stuff?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What dermatologi$t DOE$N'T travel the world? They probably have one of the best dollars/hour of any specialty.

3vl57m.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Best life-balance sure but getting into a derm residency is surely the roadblock for 99% of people. There are other lifestyle specialties and you don't need to make 500k+ a year to travel the world. 200k+ is more than enough. Even a 100k...

Members don't see this ad :)
I love medicine, but I also love family and the idea of a work life balance. I want to have time to travel the world and make great memories outside of the office. I read that dermatologists probably have the best balance.

Do you or do you know of a dermatologist who can say they have the time to do extra stuff?
I have tons of Primary Care clinician colleagues who also have traveled the world.

There are about 30 dermPGY-! positions a year with about 240 total applicants so 12.5% fill rate. Last survey I saw put derms at $400,000 average
Most derm positions are PGY2 (separate intern year), of which there were 477 in 2021

What dermatologi$t DOE$N'T travel the world? They probably have one of the best dollars/hour of any specialty.

View attachment 344984
LOL! That is awesome.

One of my derm colleagues just gave a talk on the places she and her family have visited around the globe.

I also have a friend in IM who is a hospitalist who routinely goes on trips abroad with his wife and kids.

OP, as a dermatologist I have the time and money to do that. You don't have to be a dermatologist to do that. My friend in IM also has the time and money to do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
With 734 active applicants for the 477 spots
Dermatology has a match rate of about 80%. "In 2020, dermatology had a total of 692 applicants and 538 spots."
Are you referring to something else, or have I misunderstood something here.

Most non-dermatologist physicians in the US are not allowed outside a 50 mile radius of any hospital they have privileges (100 miles in Alaska and 200 miles in Texas). Some hospitals have "a guy" that knows how to hack the ankle monitors, but a hospital like that has become harder to find with the rise of mid-levels.

There are rare exceptions in times of war or family emergency, but as a general rule, expensive vacations are not something you see physicians getting to enjoy.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Most non-dermatologist physicians in the US are not allowed outside a 50 mile radius of any hospital they have privileges (100 miles in Alaska and 200 miles in Texas). Some hospitals have "a guy" that knows how to hack the ankle monitors, but a hospital like that has become harder to find with the rise of mid-levels.

There are rare exceptions in times of war or family emergency, but as a general rule, expensive vacations are not something you see physicians getting to enjoy.
This confused me for a while ngl hahaha

I never knew that :| but that kind of goes for every job without saying. Obviously you won’t fly to China for fun after getting out of work from teaching because you’re not going to make it back in time for the next shift, so that’s understandable in a way. Thank you

I never knew that :| but that kind of goes for every job without saying. Obviously you won’t fly to China for fun after getting out of work from teaching because you’re not going to make it back in time for the next shift, so that’s understandable in a way. Thank you
They're joking, physicians go on expensive vacations all the time.

The only time you're chained to a specific location like that is if you're on call (but even call-heavy specialities take vacation as attendings) or military. And ankle monitors are only for the residents

It was a joke. Attending physicians are not parolees😂

Even if that joke was a rule, why would ONLY dermatologists be allowed to travel? I was poking fun at the premise that dermatology is somehow unique or deterministic in traveling a lot as a physician.

It was a joke. Attending physicians are not parolees😂

Even if that joke was a rule, why would ONLY dermatologists be allowed to travel? I was poking fun at the premise that dermatology is somehow unique or deterministic in traveling a lot as a physician.
Bruh I was waiting for someone to take that seriously. hahaha

• Haha