Article on UNLV's new campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShawnOne

DDS over DMD
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
New toys are always good! "they're fixing tires next door..." :laugh: I can't imagine learning dentistry while all them drill sounds for tires are going on!!

:laugh:

Those poor UNLV Class of 2006 (inaugural class) students! At least now, they'll have a clinic to work in in their 3rd and 4th year!

The car lifts doubled as patient chairs. :laugh:
It definately has been interesting. The worst part was when people came to visit and they asked to use the bathroom and then they had to go into the shop. Pretty crazy.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really wasnt that bad considering 80% of your first two years in dental school are didactic and in a classroom. Dont get me wrong I am excited to move into the new clinic and start working on patients, but I enjoyed all the amenities that a full campus offers, especially during my first two years. For example, the gym, I took UNLV OMSWanabe behind the woodshed many times on the racquetball courts during lunch breaks.(In his defense he took me to school as well), but I will miss his tantrums and racquet breaking when I won. I also will miss the new main library and law library on UNLV's main campus, the new campus seems to be missing study areas which means more studying at home which means less studying overall. I also will miss the intramural sports, now that we are twenty minutes away I doubt our classes will put together flag football, softball, soccer, and basketball teams. So to summarize, last week I was sad to walk off the main campus for the last time(other than financial aid and graduation visits). However, I do look forward to all the brand new equipment and facilities, working with patients all the time and moving on in my dental career. I plan on posting pictures of the new facility on a web page soon for all to see, but not until after our break.

This is all so exciting! So many new and cool things happening at the school. I can't wait to start!! :D

"indentured servitude" that sounds about accurate.
Clearly othrodontists fear programs like this and with good reason.
medicine went down a similar road with disasterous results.
just as most gp dentists don't want to see huge dental mills run by large hmo style corps, neither should any aspiring orthodontist be any less than struck with fear at the notion of a large corp providing free education and then 7 years of enslavement.
All the while they provide cut-rate services, underpay their workforce, and stuff their
own coffers with huge sums of money.

scary

If and when UNLV Dental gets an Ortho program, sounds like another Jacksonville, FL Ortho ordeal. The AAO will have another blast with this one. An Ortho residency with 16 residents....how many of these Ortho factories will we see in the next 10 years?

:confused:

Yup, I remember the headlines of the Jacksonville University ortho program. They went from no school to having a school and staff in less than a year. The main donor of 3.5 million or so is going to make a nice ROI (return on investment) on their donation....hmm must be some new loop hole I haven't figured out yet. You got it...they will be getting money from the school in some form, and its not in tax breaks

In short, all the news stories showed how this program was ONLY setup to make $$$ and many many people have no clue at all how they got their accreditation.

The program at UNLV looks like a mirror image of what JU did...how sad

I think it's all the same company. The Orthodontic Education folks started with Jacksonville. I heard they were going to Denver next, and apparently, according to this article, they've also added Las Vegas to the list.

If they were serious about helping about education and that was their only priority, they'd donate the money without expecting anything but a "thank you" plaque in return.

Half of the slots are available to Orthodontic Education fellows who will receive full tuition and living expenses in exchange for agreeing to work in a company orthodontic practice for seven years.

They are offering 16 ortho spots, and half are available for the scholarship. That means 8 spots are available for students who will not take the scholarship.

What is the problem? (for the student) I could care less if the company is making a ROI. All private schools are making $$, I dont see anybody
complaining.

BTW, i just found the company's website. http://www.orthoeducation.com/

Anybody care to explain why the ortho school is such a bad idea?

ShawnOne said:
Anybody care to explain why the ortho school is such a bad idea?

I don't think it is a bad idea at all. Tons of people apply for few ortho spots in US every year. More ortho residency programs should open to accomodate them all.

Nova and Arizona opened their doors in the last few years to meet the demand (high number of applicants ~7500 for 4000 spots in dental schools). You think they shouldn't open ?

I think more dental schools will open in the next 10 years especially from DO schools. Read this thread

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=122625

lots of interesting info.

It's business ,people. purely business.

Here is the summary of the most recent Board of Regents meeting were the program was approved.

ORTHODONTIC RESIDENCY PROGRAM, UNLV
The Board approved a request from UNLV President Carol C. Harter for a Memorandum of Understanding between UNLV and Orthodontic Education, Ltd. (OEC) that describes a public-private partnership to establish a residency program in orthodontics. This advanced educational program in Orthodontic and Dentofacial Orthopedics will be administered by the UNLV School of Dental Medicine. The Board had previously debated this issue at its October 2003 and March 2004 Board meeting. At the March Board meeting, the Board agreed to approve the contract in concept, but to alter the agreement to make the entire admissions process blind. They directed UNLV to bring the contract back to them with these changes incorporated.

As was the case at previous meetings, several members of the community, including several orthodontists,spoke against this partnership. These individuals:

-Were in support of a properly funded orthodontic residency program in the state, but were concerned over the long-term contract between UNLV and OEC.
-Were concerned over the quality of admissions to the program and wanted assurances OEC would not have control over admissions policies. They wanted students admitted to this program based on academic performance and merits, not their willingness to sign a contract.
-Noted that should the program lose accreditation, the money gifted to the program will have to be repaid within 10 years at 10 percent interest.
-Believed this was not a scholarship program, but rather a program for individuals willing to enter into a contractual agreement.
-Believed the dental community in Las Vegas had been left out of discussions and plans in this regard, as they had been when the dental school was developed.
-Felt the dental school needed the support of the dental community in Nevada to be successful, and could not understand how UNLV could consider this without getting their support. To do so would be to alienate an important base of support for the dental school moving forward.
-Had prior knowledge of students involved in this type of program at other institutions who were assured they would get into the program, regardless of merit, if they agreed to sign a contract.

In addition, several individuals, including members of the UNLV Foundation Board of Trustees, Interim Chancellor Rogers, and the dean of the University of Colorado, which entered into a similar program with OEC, spoke in favor of the partnership. These individuals believed this to be an innovative public-private partnership that will enable UNLV to offer a program that otherwise would be next to impossible to fund. Without this agreement, these individuals believed it would take years to generate enough funding to support an orthodontic residency program, and they encouraged the Board to approve the partnership.

Some Regents were still concerned regarding changes with the proposed contract between UNLV and OEC, most notably that the process for admitting students would not be completely blind, as requested by the Board at its last meeting. In addition, Regents were concerned that they were not permitted to review a copy of the contract that will be entered into by the student with OEC. Pete Christiansen, an attorney hired to review the contract between UNLV and OEC, stressed that the provisions of the contract will be spelled out clearly to students before they agree to take part, and that students will have the opportunity to have an attorney review the specifics of the contract. Regent were also concerned that they did not have enough time to review the changes in the contract between UNLV and OEC prior to the Board meeting. However, after discussion ended, the Board voted to approve the request.

Educators and those in public health-generally they like it unless they are traditional(good ol boys). They see it as a way to provide funding and opportunities for many, our school also sees it as a way to expand into the specialties quicker. The dental school will make money off of an ortho program and then can expand with endo/perio/prosth programs etc, because they have that money. The school would not be able to expand in this way on its own. The school gets a new building out of it too (nice but not as big as CU's). I"ve heard of numerous ( 15+) public dental schools contacting the OEC to explore the possibility of the same partnership.

Orthodontists- Dont like it because it opens up too many opportunities to their lucrative profession. they wont say this openly and instead will pretend to care about the students not getting themselves into too big a commitment(although the hpsp scholarship is essentially the same thing except you cant buy yourself out of the military)

Prospective Orthodontists- Generally those that are confident and have good grades/scores dont like it (they can get into programs without the extra spots). Those that are on the edge of getting in are split to both sides.

Dentists-Generally dont have a strong opinion but can take both sides

Dental Students- Split both ways, I know people who are angry about it and against it, and then I know some that think its a great thing.

Personally- I am trying to be objective, If I was the Dean of our school and was presented with the same opportunity I would probably do the same thing that they have done. Its all about the bottom line. If I decided to pursure ortho as a career I would not like it and I dont blame orthodontists for being skeptical. With a profession that thrives off of referrals its important to be liked by your colleagues which might be hard if you come from one of these programs. I feel bad for the 8 of 16 students who dont accept the scholarship and have the negative stigma attached to them of being from one of these programs.

Most people I talk to dont have a clue and bag on these programs because someone they know bags on it too. I first reacted this way too but now I understand why so many are for it. I would suggest that everyone with an opinoin at least be objective and find out for yourself.

Col Sanders said:
I feel bad for the 8 of 16 students who dont accept the scholarship and have the negative stigma attached to them of being from one of these programs.

But ironically, the stigma attached with those who DO accept the scholarship will be much worse.

Positive side, UNLV Dental will have your first Post-doctoral department. Now all UNLV Dental has to do now is get the rest of them established!