[Article] Being a DO in an MD-heavy field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 user
I will be going to a (mostly) MD University Hospital and will have 2 other DOs with me. Unfortunately, I was unable to practice OMM very much in the clinical setting except treating PACU nurses - my anesthesia preceptor, a DO, did manipulations for them all the time.

I wish I had more confidence to practice OMT especially on wards. I still have my Kimberly manual - maybe I’ll find someone to practice with one day. I am nervous about starting, thank you for sharing this article.

I don’t understand this article. I’m sure UMiami IM is a competitive program, but they have been taking DOs for decades. Several of my classmates matched there my year. It’s not like he was the first DO resident in the program, in a field that’s heavy anti DO.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t understand this article. I’m sure UMiami IM is a competitive program, but they have been taking DOs for decades. Several of my classmates matched there my year. It’s not like he was the first DO resident in the program, in a field that’s heavy anti DO.
ya just a weird opinion piece.
I will be going to a (mostly) MD University Hospital and will have 2 other DOs with me. Unfortunately, I was unable to practice OMM very much in the clinical setting except treating PACU nurses - my anesthesia preceptor, a DO, did manipulations for them all the time.

I wish I had more confidence to practice OMT especially on wards. I still have my Kimberly manual - maybe I’ll find someone to practice with one day. I am nervous about starting, thank you for sharing this article.
Don’t worry about. Focus on transitioning to being a good resident. Offering OMM will seem silly if you are failing the other critical aspects of being an intern. As a DO student, you likely dont have as much resident team based rotations as your MD counterparts so initially they may seem ahead. Should be focusing on getting up to speed on that rather than “bringing the DO uniqueness”. By December all of those early inequalities usually shake out. If you are interested in OMM then there will be opportunities later in residency. There is a reason <5% of DOs use OMM. There simply isn’t enough time and we can’t do it all.

I was unable to practice OMM very much in the clinical setting except treating PACU nurses
Providing non-emergent medical care without a license to practice independently, a chart, liability insurance and a location where services can be provided with privacy (and a chaperone, when appropriate) is not recommended in most states.

Last edited:
Providing non-emergent medical care without a license to practice independently, a chart, liability insurance and a location where services can be provided with privacy (and a chaperone, where appropriate) is not recommended in most states.
Absolutely. A FP friend of mine saw a patient from out of town in the office on a Fri afternoon, close to closing. The couple said the husband's back was bothering them and their local usually treated him with OMT. After treating him, they gratefully bid farewell. Only to return a subpoena nearly 2 yrs to the date suggesting the treatment was excruciating and they begged him to stop, but he allegedly tried one more time. His med mal carrier settled for 5k. Just a new version of the old whiplash/slip and fall game.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Providing non-emergent medical care without a license to practice independently, a chart, liability insurance and a location where services can be provided with privacy (and a chaperone, when appropriate) is not recommended in most states.
I was under direct supervision of someone with a license. Open bays in the PACU had curtains which were drawn. Consent was given by the nurses. No chart, however.

Point taken though. I will be more cautious in the future.

Last edited:
Absolutely. A FP friend of mine saw a patient from out of town in the office on a Fri afternoon, close to closing. The couple said the husband's back was bothering them and their local usually treated him with OMT. After treating him, they gratefully bid farewell. Only to return a subpoena nearly 2 yrs to the date suggesting the treatment was excruciating and they begged him to stop, but he allegedly tried one more time. His med mal carrier settled for 5k. Just a new version of the old whiplash/slip and fall game.
On my rural rotation, a new practicing FP told me he stopped doing OMM due time constraints (having to explain, get consent, do the procedure) as well as the group not knowing how to bill for it when he coded it in the chart.

• Wow
ya just a weird opinion piece.

Don’t worry about. Focus on transitioning to being a good resident. Offering OMM will seem silly if you are failing the other critical aspects of being an intern. As a DO student, you likely dont have as much resident team based rotations as your MD counterparts so initially they may seem ahead. Should be focusing on getting up to speed on that rather than “bringing the DO uniqueness”. By December all of those early inequalities usually shake out. If you are interested in OMM then there will be opportunities later in residency. There is a reason <5% of DOs use OMM. There simply isn’t enough time and we can’t do it all.
My main rotation site was at a 900 bed hospital with one of the top 20 busiest EDs in the US. On most services, our team consisted of residents and/or fellows, clinical pharmacists, and of course the attending. Rounds were conducted with the entire team and nurses present. Given that this hospital was only one of many rotation sites, I can say with confidence that most of my classmates did not have the same experience. There was probably only one other comparable rotation site in terms of working with a full resident team.

This hospital was also a rotation site for a “low-tier” MD school. I just really enjoyed OMM. Will I use it in practice? Honestly probably no.

Am I still nervous? Yes.:lol:

Last edited:
My main rotation site was at a 900 bed hospital with one of the top 20 busiest EDs in the US. On most services, our team consisted of residents and/or fellows, clinical pharmacists, and of course the attending. Rounds were conducted with the entire team and nurses present. Given that this hospital was only one of many rotation sites, I can say with confidence that most of my classmates did not have the same experience. There was probably only one other comparable rotation site in terms of working with a full resident team.

This hospital was also a rotation site for a “low-tier” MD school. I just really enjoyed OMM. Will I use it in practice? Honestly probably no.

Am I still nervous? Yes.:lol:
Def a good spot to rotate. I can already narrow down your school to a handful of schools with that rotation site alone lol. If you like omm and want to practice it then you should be able to find time while in residency.

Reactions: 1 users