MD Art Student to Premed -- What to do now? (Junior Undergrad, Finished MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimmypod

Doodler
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, SDN!

From the title, I guess you can already tell that I am a little late to the game. I'm wondering about what to do about the rest of my time in undergrad in order to maximize my chances and would love input from you. I'm thinking about taking a gap year as well. In case you are interested in my artwork (from the title), my website can be found at: www.jimmyxia.com

A little background information about myself and my "stats":
  • After almost 5 semesters, GPA is projected at 3.81 and sGPA 3.75
    • Biochemistry and Visual Art major
    • Upward trend - regrettably was not as focused during first four semesters as I was not sure on being premed, but will be absolutely focused for the next 3.
  • MCAT 518 (132 Physics, 126 CARS, 131 Bio, 129 Psych) albeit a little skewed but I will thankfully not be applying Canadian
  • President/Founder of college's illustration club aimed at teaching and inspiring undergraduates to create beautiful artwork
    • Previously the president/co-founder of similar high school illustration club
    • Total commitment: 5 years
  • Media chair (e-board) of college's Taiwan Society
    • Designing everything from posters to shirts to chibi artwork of e-board members
    • Total commitment: 2.5 years
  • Freelance illustrator
    • Involved with multiple clients to create covers, illustrations, character designs, and more.
  • Co-founder of a failed startup aimed at reinventing culinary social media
  • Research:
    • HHMI sponsored research to determine the genetic components of familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) -- freshman summer
  • Volunteering:
    • Hospital junior volunteer (discharging patients, transporting patients, running errands)
      • High school: ~150 hours
    • Various community service from cleaning up debris to helping out on farms
What is currently in the works for this year and the next:
  • Research/Publications:
    • Began working with a professor (neuroscience) to study pain pathways using EEG
    • Another professor expressed interest in collaborating on research pertaining to retinal precursors to Alzheimer's
      • Would be published (multiple publications) and will also contribute to medical illustration of project
      • Also expressed interest in having me as primary illustrator of an aging physiology textbook
  • Taking a class at my college's medical school on medical illustration
    • Have plans to approach professor on getting involved in his research (endoscopic fetal surgery) and how I could contribute using illustration to elucidate ideas for better communication of surgical methods
      • Would this be clinical experience?
  • Volunteering:
    • Hospice volunteering
    • Hospital volunteering (presumably discharging patients, transporting patients, etc. though would love to get involved in art therapy)
    • Teaching as part of an academic enrichment program for elementary schoolers (would love to teach them art)
I would love any advice on how to go forward. I really wish I payed more attention to being a premed student during my freshman and sophomore years so those extracurriculars are heavily art-centered, but now that I am already a junior I want to maximize my time left.

Thank you!

P.S. I also ask that you please not quote this post as I would like to erase it eventually

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your art is incredible, and I think you are well on your way to making a great medical school applicant. I assume you go to Brown, so that's a pretty nice plus. Keep the GPA up, and get as much research/clinical hours you can, and you're set.

Note: I'm pretty sure high school activities don't count for much, so don't rely on high school clinical experience for your application. Otherwise, you look like a rockstar.

Thank you! I will definitely continue to do what I am doing. Do you have any specific suggestions on things to look out for/get involved in?

And ah. Figures that high school activities wouldn't count much..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, SDN!

From the title, I guess you can already tell that I am a little late to the game. I'm wondering about what to do about the rest of my time in undergrad in order to maximize my chances and would love input from you. I'm thinking about taking a gap year as well. In case you are interested in my artwork (from the title), my website can be found at: www.jimmyxia.com

A little background information about myself and my "stats":
  • After almost 5 semesters, GPA is projected at 3.81 and sGPA 3.75
    • Biochemistry and Visual Art major
    • Upward trend - regrettably was not as focused during first four semesters as I was not sure on being premed, but will be absolutely focused for the next 3.
  • MCAT 518 (132 Physics, 126 CARS, 131 Bio, 129 Psych) albeit a little skewed but I will thankfully not be applying Canadian
  • President/Founder of college's illustration club aimed at teaching and inspiring undergraduates to create beautiful artwork
    • Previously the president/co-founder of similar high school illustration club
  • Media chair (e-board) of college's Taiwan Society
    • Designing everything from posters to shirts to chibi artwork of e-board members
    • Total commitment: 2.5 years
  • Freelance illustrator
    • Involved with multiple clients to create covers, illustrations, character designs, and more.
  • Co-founder of a failed startup aimed at reinventing culinary social media
  • Research:
    • HHMI sponsored research to determine the genetic components of familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) -- freshman summer
  • Volunteering:
    • Hospital junior volunteer (discharging patients, transporting patients, running errands)
      • High school: ~150 hours
    • Various community service from cleaning up debris to helping out on farms
What is currently in the works for this year and the next:
  • Research/Publications:
    • Began working with a professor (neuroscience) to study pain pathways using EEG
    • Another professor expressed interest in collaborating on research pertaining to retinal precursors to Alzheimer's
      • Would be published (multiple publications) and will also contribute to medical illustration of project
      • Also expressed interest in having me as primary illustrator of an aging physiology textbook
  • Taking a class at my college's medical school on medical illustration
    • Have plans to approach professor on getting involved in his research (endoscopic fetal surgery) and how I could contribute using illustration to elucidate ideas for better communication of surgical methods
      • Would this be clinical experience?
  • Volunteering:
    • Hospice volunteering
    • Hospital volunteering (presumably discharging patients, transporting patients, etc. though would love to get involved in art therapy)
    • Teaching as part of an academic enrichment program for elementary schoolers (would love to teach them art)
I would love any advice on how to go forward. I really wish I payed more attention to being a premed student during my freshman and sophomore years so those extracurriculars are heavily art-centered, but now that I am already a junior I want to maximize my time left.

Thank you!

P.S. I also ask that you please not quote this post as I would like to erase it eventually

IIRC, high school activities don't carry weight on apps; might have to strike the high school volunteering (but hopefully not).

Yeah, you shouldn't list high school activities on your medical school application.

Okay! Thank you. I think I will just omit the high school activities entirely unless they hold a bit of significance (ex. creating high school illustration club -> creating one in college too)

Would I have a shot at top schools? I'm beginning the research stage and my MCAT and GPA seem to be competitive. I'm curious about about my extracurriculars.

Last edited: