ARRO Recommendations to ACGME proposed changes to residency requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evilbooyaa

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mostly agree with this document from ARRO. Couple points that stood out for me:

• They recommend that Program director should be faculty at the main site
  • They recommend that no change to the minimum number of residents be enacted.
  • They recommend a maximum number of satellites (they hypothesize 3 + 1 main site), and increase in spending of time at primary site from 50 to 60%.
  • Suggest no change in number of simulations, and recommend a minimum number of 450 definitive cases. Also recommend site-specific definitive EBRT.
Attaching the PDF for reference. I think this is a good start - I always thought that increasing the cut-off from 4 to 6 was not evidence-based. Completely agree with hitting a maximum point on total number of satellites residents can rotate at, and increasing time at the mothership (I personally would shoot for 66% or 75%, but I understand 60% as a compromise). I'm not 100% sure if the program director needs to be faculty at the main site, but I get why they required that. I can think of at least one program where this is not the case and education does not seem to be an issue.

Increase to 350 simulations a year was dumb as proposed by ACGME. 450 definitive cases would likely have some programs (especially those with larger resident pools, not busy faculty, and 100% resident coverage) scrambling, but I think learning how to manage curative cases is the most important thing we can do. Certainly agree that site-specific definitive case requirement needs to be developed and enforced.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• ACGME_ARRO_Consensus Statement.pdf
    207.9 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: 1 user
Did they propose 450 definitive cases? The way I read it was that of the 450 simulations, a number of definitive cases should be specified.

Why no increase in SRS/ SBRT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they propose 450 definitive cases? The way I read it was that of the 450 simulations, a number of definitive cases should be specified.

Ah, you're right. I misread the PDF initially. Here is the full text for future reference, saying that a minimum number of definitive cases within the 450 simulations (bolded my emphasis):

"We suggest specification of a minimum number of definitive cases that must be performed as part of the 450 simulations required for graduation. "

150/year is a PT load for many of us out in full spectrum community practice.

Would propose increasing it to 600 in 3 years, minimum, personally

On Page 3 of the comments, ARRO suggests core faculty be required to participate in MOC.

Any takes on this? I can only assume if implemented, this might limit small programs like CPMC where older faculty were grandfathered in to ABR permanent lifetime certificates.

On Page 3 of the comments, ARRO suggests core faculty be required to participate in MOC.

Any takes on this? I can only assume if implemented, this might limit small programs like CPMC where older faculty were grandfathered in to ABR permanent lifetime certificates.

If it includes chairs ( I assume it would), that would eliminate a lot of programs or create reshuffling of chairs. I think it's a great move.

Reactions: 2 users
It is my understanding CPMC is dissolving their program.

Sorry, I was imprecise with my comment -- I realize CPMC has already shut down. Had such a policy been implemented prior to this year, it could have limited (or hasted the demise of) small programs (such as CPMC) with older faculty who don't participate in these 'modern' certifications.

This almost makes me think MOC is a good thing... almost.

FWIW Those who don’t participate in MOC cannot examine for the boards.