Army Veterinary Corp?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

westpoloplayer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed a few people had mentioned that they were/had served in the Army Veterinary Corp. After googling, the scholarship sounded pretty amazing and I was hoping to get opinions on the program: why you decided to do it/not do it, what the average Army vet does (just performing routine health exams for dogs on base, meat inspection or actually doing cool stuff like treating llamas in the Andes and erradicating foot and mouth disease in Mongolia?), how to get straight answers about the program, etc. I found a thread from last year that had some good information-- did anyone go through with enlisting?

I'm interested in working abroad after veterinary school, particularly in some of the more unstable areas of the world. That being said, I'm not sure I want to end up in an active war-zone and I don't know what the odds are that I would-- I speak some Arabic but trust me, you would not want me handling a gun :D!

I am also concerned with whether past Army-affiliation would negatively impact work abroad as a civilian. I've heard that certain foreign intelligence agencies keep tabs on Americans with governmental ties. Having been mistaken for an "American spy" once, I'd really prefer not to do that again (although it was a funny story that the vet admissions committees loved).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Having been on active duty for 4 years and done the whole war on terror let me give you my opinion. The Army vet corp is actually most concerned with food safety issues. For whatever reason it has evolved as the organization that goes around checking the temperature of salad bars in dining facilities. They will perform routine spays, neuters, and vaccinations on military family memebers pets and they care for military working dogs but beyond that they are food safety.

Joining the military is always an 8 year commitment. Some portion on active duty and some portion in the individual ready reserve. Its not a bad job, and the pay and benefits are decent. You practically have to commit a felony not to be promoted. However, you will deploy probably 6 months out of every year until Iraq is over. You and your family will move every 3 years or more frequently, and you will often be in training or other sitiations where you are away from home for weeks on end.

In short if your young, single, and looking for job security and a chance to shoot things and get paid for it army vet med isn't a bad way to go. Once you go though its pretty much a career.

The cool medicine side of things would definetly be the exception rather than the rule, and you will have to carry and gun and shoot it. If you're lucky no one will ever shoot at you.

Gee, ethi, I'm not sure where you were stationed that you were deploying 6 months out of every year. Me, I sat at the same duty site for three years. Couldn't deploy when I wanted to and when I couldn't deploy due to family reasons, they wanted me. :(

For the record, I always had my 68R's performing temperature checks on the salad bars.... :D

I have a longer and more detailed post coming in a day or two in response to an IM I received last week RE: day to day for a junior Captain.

But I wanted to clear up a couple things that caught my eye on this thread.

1. You don't Enlist; you Commission as an Officer.

2. Almost everyone cites the same reasons for joining; chance to do something other than private practice, the long term health education training opportunities (i.e., MPH, residency, PhD), chance to travel, interest in the military working dog/horse/dolphin programs, benefits, completing your civic duty after 9/11, etceteras.

3. Straight answers on the program come from talking to current Captains, Branch Chiefs, District Commanders and/or HRC for the Veterinary Corps. Don't be shy; I can't think of a single colleague who wouldn't talk to someone interested in the Corps. Everyone's experience is so different, the more you talk to, the more accurate a picture you will get. Past (expired?) VC Officers are limitedly useful because things change so fast - i.e., OBC is now OBLC, the HPSP changes all the time, etceteras.

4. In addition to regular stateside and overseas duty assignments, there is a little thing called Civil Affairs where you do humanitarian stuff like treat sheep and goats in Horn of Africa. I'll tell you right now, you have to be highly motivated and highly persistent to get these. If you are male, there are Special Forces slots as well - definitely deploy to places besides the sandbox. Alternatively, you can go into the Reserves from active duty or directly; if you are part of an MTOE unit, you will deploy. The unit will determine the where and if it is to support the war or humanitarian.

5. I'm not going to lie, your language skill qualifier will make you highly desirable for a tour through Iraq. If you don't want to risk going to a war-zone, don't sign up with the military during a time of war. Realize, though, you are combat services support, NOT combat services. Almost everyone I know who spent time in Iraq had was NOT shot at and deep in the Green Zone the majority of the time.

6. I don't see how the experience would hinder your chances of working abroad. I'd think the more specialized skills you get with deployment experience would come in handy if you are working in questionable areas as a civilian. In fact, for some companies (like Triple Canopy) it is sought after. However, military ties are military ties; if you don't want them, don't sign up.

I'm always happy to chat off-line; if you'd like to, IM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fetch,

The killer hamster is great. I did my time at Ft. Bragg but in all honesty I must admit I was a machine gun toting infantryman, not in the vet corp at all. You would obviously know more about the vet corp then I would and more about the life of a commisioned officer. As for me it wasn't six months of every year it was 4 months deployed/home for 8, 4 months deployed/home for 3 weeks, 10 months deployed. Which was life in a line infantry unit. Civil affairs and Special Forces are only going to up the deployment time.

Everyone should have a totally awesome hampster [sic] fighting machine of their very own.... :D

I had my suspicions. Trust me, you have skills and experience that should be mandatory before being allowed to be an Officer, regardless of branch/unit/corps.

Deployment is definitely not on the same schedule. Not because of being an Officer, but because of the Corps and how it is managed. There is no mandatory "everyone goes to Iraq". At least not yet. The fact everyone has to do at least 12 months OCONUS before being eligible for promotion to O-4 was only recently reinstated - late 2004. CA's are treated as and go towards overseas duty if over 179 days. SF is, well, SF. It takes a special kind of Soldier to do what they do.

Are you considering the VC or had your fill the first time around? Unless you were boarded out/medically discharged, aren't you a recall risk given your MOS? If you want to talk to veterinarians who were prior Enlisted and then VC Officers, let me know; I know a few off the top of my head and they'd tell you like it is.

I second tour would be fatal as my wife would kill me, but thanks for the offer. I'm proud and pleased with my Army time, but once was enough. Yes, the potential for recall is always out there, but my delayed enlistment program time detracts from some of that.

I have been trying to keep in touch with the health profession recruiter in my state, but she tends to be very very quiet and I have a lot of questions! I know that I'm still several years away from being able to join (year one, semester one), but she had mentioned something about early commissioning after my second yea, but didn't really explain what that meant. Anyone know who I could talk to about this?
Also, does anyone know if you are allowed to see practice as part of your externships?

Thank you for all this helpful information that you guys have posted. This has been extremely informational for me. I am a current high school senior who is hoping to pursue a career in Army Vet Corps. If there are any tips that you all would have for one who is about to enter college and ROTC I would be very grateful. Meanwhile I shall continue expanding my already long list of information about success in ROTC and vet school, lol.

And I really enjoyed the killer hampster!!