Army National Guard's new Med student program details.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a few questions. I have been accepted to medical school, and will begin this coming August:

1) What if the state I am considering joining in does not have a medical unit to drill with (ie Kentucky)?

Kentucky has a medical company in Shelbyville (1163rd) as well as a medcom based in Frankfort. Most of the docs, and definitely all the med students and residents are in the Med command.

2) One of the medical schools I am considering is in the middle of nowhere (ie more than 50 miles from a medical unit). I've heard of APMC and IMA (DIMA?/ Equivalent Training) as means to fulfill drill. What are they and how might they apply?

Drive to drill every other month to fulfill the 6 drills per year requirement.

3) I've heard of the Reserves having sublimely flexible drill. How are they different from the ARNG? I'm not trying to avoid drill- I think it could be quite enjoyable. I am just worried about getting in over my head, especially when residency begins.

Flex policy is in effect, med students basically show up every other month. You just let the commander know when you are coming or not. They aren't as tight on the med students as long as you don't try to miss a large excess of drills. Residency is more interesting since you will function as a provider, and they will like you to show up, but the flex policy is still in effect. I would usually ask my Chief Residents to schedule me so that I could take at least one of the two days off. Making it to one of the two days will keep you in good standing for the most part since we are usually "busy" one of the days doing PHAs and the other day is a little slower.

4) In a time of conflict or war, would I, as a physician, be able to volunteer individually for deployment, or would that only happen with my unit?

Med Command won't deploy as a "unit" but you will get attached to a medical company for the purpose of the deployment to serve the 62B role.

Members don't see this ad.

Just to add to USC's great answer:

- APMC is an Army Reserve animal only. There is no similar beast in the Guard.

- While you may be assigned or attached to a line unit as 62B or otherwise an can deploy with that unit, you can also be called up as an "augmentee" and deploy with or to a unit you have no relationship with.

- flexi training is a policy that is up to a unit's CO's discretion, so take care no to whip it out like a done deal. This is particularly true with line units that may be unfamiliar with having docs attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So here's my convoluted question that @notdeadyet can probably easily answer...

I just matched into a 4 year residency. I took 3 years of MDSSP, thus a 6 year commitment AFTER residency. I talked with my AMEDD recruiter yesterday, and he said that if I took STRAP during my residency, it reduces my 6 year commitment to 3 years, and I begin repaying it DURING residency. Thus, if I began taking STRAP during my 2nd year of residency, I would hypothetically come out of residency still w/ a 6 year commitment (repaying MDSSP during years 2-4 and incurring a 2:1 for every year of STRAP). He cited this document: http://www.dma.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/...A43D6CE88/0/AMEDDIncentivesandobligations.pdf

If you look at the timeline on the very last page (and the explanation on the 2nd to last page), the MDSSP obligation is being paid while taking STRAP. Is this document/my recruiter wrong? Thanks in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just matched into a 4 year residency. I took 3 years of MDSSP, thus a 6 year commitment AFTER residency. I talked with my AMEDD recruiter yesterday, and he said that if I took STRAP during my residency, it reduces my 6 year commitment to 3 years, and I begin repaying it DURING residency. Thus, if I began taking STRAP during my 2nd year of residency, I would hypothetically come out of residency still w/ a 6 year commitment (repaying MDSSP during years 2-4 and incurring a 2:1 for every year of STRAP).
Your recruiter is right. MDSSP used to have payback start in residency, but that was ammended a couple years ago and it now starts payback post-residency. The only exception is if you also take STRAP, in which case it becomes a 1:1 payback and it starts in residency. Let's look at your two options:

MDSSP without STRAP: 3 years MDSSP + 4 year residency (without extra pay) + 6 years post-residency drilling status.
MDSSP with STRAP: 3 years MDSSP + 1 PGY1 without STRAP + PGY2-4 with STAP + 6 year post-residency drilling status.

Woo-hoo! So it appears you'd wind up with the same commitment...

The only catch is this: the language in the policy document used to be very specific that for MDSSP to convert to the new program, it had to be immediately followed by STRAP to close exactly this loophole. Otherwise, anyone who took MDSSP would have no increased obligation for taking the STRAP phase. I don't know if this has changed or not.

I took the MDSSP commission this year, my unit says I have to go to BOLC this year or be separated. ATRRS doesnt list any Short courses this summer. So it looks like I would have to take a year off school to go to BOLC. That sound weird to anyone?

I took the MDSSP commission this year, my unit says I have to go to BOLC this year or be separated. ATRRS doesnt list any Short courses this summer. So it looks like I would have to take a year off school to go to BOLC. That sound weird to anyone?

I don't recall what the regulations say exactly but it seemed pretty common for people to delay BOLC until residency though it's nice if you can get it knocked out in medical school if you can. Your unit should be working with you on this regardless of when the regulations technically allow them to separate you. It makes no sense for your education to be delayed for a year for summer camp. I suspect your unit may just be trying to put pressure on you to take the obligation to go to BOLC seriously or you've been attached to a non-medical company with a leadership unfamiliar with the realities of medical school. In either case, talk with your leadership. I would not even consider taking a year off of school to go to BOLC...

look up AR 135-7. It is the regulation that talks about deferring BOLC up to 3 years while in STRAP program. I don't know if it discusses MDSSP. Good luck

You have 3 years to complete BOLC from commissioning (I commissioned in the Guard with MDSSP last year).

Look up AR 135-155, Table 2-2, Footnote 8:

"AMEDD officers, regardless of grade in which appointed, other than Specialized Training Assistance Program (STRAP) participants and MS officers with
MFA 70 or AOC 67J, appointed on and after 1 June 1986 are required to complete the AMEDD resident RC OBC within 3 years after appointment. STRAP
participants do not have to complete the AMEDD resident RC OBC until 3 years after the completion of their STRAP training program."

Same section from AR 135-155 is also referred to in PPOM 13-006 [Promotion from (2LT) to (1LT) and from (WO1) to (CW2)] under paragraph 13b.

Im glad you mentioned AR135-155, I was looking at this earlier today. My state AMEDD office indicated to me that MDSSP and STRAP fell under the same provision (as noted in note 8 table 2-2), that as long I was was receiving the MDSSP stipend I did not have to complete BOLC until after graduation.

Thanks for the great thread! One question: does anyone know the current age limit for non-prior service for MDSSP? I will be 36 on starting med school and would want to join as soon as I get my acceptance letter.

(Sorry if this has been asked and answered...I've only gotten through about 10 pages of the thread).

Thanks for the great thread! One question: does anyone know the current age limit for non-prior service for MDSSP? I will be 36 on starting med school and would want to join as soon as I get my acceptance letter.

(Sorry if this has been asked and answered...I've only gotten through about 10 pages of the thread).
You're good. I swore in later than that and did not need an age waiver.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey does any of you have any info or can hook me up with a recruiter. I am interested in national guards but have some questions and need someone to explain the to me.
I am currently finishing MS1 at LECOM - seton hill
Thanks

Hey does any of you have any info or can hook me up with a recruiter. I am interested in national guards but have some questions and need someone to explain the to me.
I am currently finishing MS1 at LECOM - seton hill
Thanks
Call 1-800-go-guard. Ask for you state's AMEDD Officer recruiter. That term exactly, anything else is useless.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you take mdssp and strap can you still qualify for the loan repayment (hplrp) and bonuses (special pay program)? Thanks. Basically in what way can I get the most incentives overall. I am not afraid of a large obligation. Could I do just strap and get hplrp + special pay after etc. What combinations works the best? Also, if I join regular guard during med school can I go into strap program no problem?

If you take mdssp and strap can you still qualify for the loan repayment (hplrp) and bonuses (special pay program)? Thanks. Basically in what way can I get the most incentives overall. I am not afraid of a large obligation. Could I do just strap and get hplrp + special pay after etc. What combinations works the best? Also, if I join regular guard during med school can I go into strap program no problem?
You can take Special Pay and HPLRP after you have paid off of your MDSSP and STRAP obligation, or can take HPLRP first, but you will defer your MDSSP and STRAP obligation. You can't take one benefit while paying back another.

I have read through the latest 10+ pages of this thread and would first of all like to thank all of the previous posters for their unending support of this thread and the valuable information within. I apologize in advance that this post has turned out so long. Reading the previous post has generated a few questions I hope will not be too difficult to answer.

I am starting medical school next fall in Texas and have been looking at the different MilMed forums on SDN for a while now to see the different options for military medicine (HSPS, FAP, etc). Joining in any capacity would not be about the money and would be rooted in a call to serve above all other factors.

In addition to starting med school, I am also getting married next summer which plays a large role in this decision. My future spouse is primarily concerned with deployment and the semi-constant relocation associated with active duty. I understand the realities of being deployed from family experience and the posts found above in this forum.

The ARNG seems to be the best fit for me in terms of the lack of relocation so my question is about the 90 day deployment policy. Is that still in effect and if so is there any information about how many of those are "extended?"

Finally, I would love to hear about anyones experience in a specialty that that was "not needed" by the Guard and their transition to Reserves. What was that process like and how does it change your experience as a soldier? i.e. is it still 1 weekend/month, pay changes etc. For clarity I am interested in Orthopedics which was previously on the "short list" but has recently been taken off.

Joining the ARNG on medical student status without the additional incentives and taking drill pay seems to make sense to me in terms of getting to experience military medicine and having the chance to commit to longer time if appropriate with my family at that time. It is my understanding that if I joined at the start of med school and worst case scenario hated the experience I could fulfill my commitment before I finish residency.

Thanks for taking the time to give us your rationale, circumstances, and background, calbearTX. That make answering a lot easier.
The ARNG seems to be the best fit for me in terms of the lack of relocation so my question is about the 90 day deployment policy. Is that still in effect and if so is there any information about how many of those are "extended?"
It is still in effect. It has remained in effect even the highest deployment tempo during the heaviest period of the wars. I have not heard of any discussion that they are planning to get rid of it. I don't think that they will, either. It is been a great recruitment tool that has brought in a lot of doctors to the guard that otherwise likely would've joined navy or Air Force but decided not to join their reserve forces due to deployment length.

I have not heard of or met any national guardsmen who deployed for longer than 90 days boots on the ground. Every now and then you hear a story of someone who knew someone who knew someone who deployed for longer, but for the cases that I've been able to track down, it is always ended up being someone who volunteered to prolong their deployment. The 90 day policy is in force and very clear.
Finally, I would love to hear about anyones experience in a specialty that that was "not needed" by the Guard and their transition to Reserves. What was that process like and how does it change your experience as a soldier? i.e. is it still 1 weekend/month, pay changes etc. For clarity I am interested in Orthopedics which was previously on the "short list" but has recently been taken off.
I stayed in the Guard but have known people who made the leap to the reserves. The culture difference between the national guard and reserve is much less than between, say, Army reserve at Navy reserve. Complaints about going from guard to reserve seem to be centered around having another layer of federal bureaucracy to have to deal with. Some folks liked the transition, and the ability to be assigned to a hospital rather than a combat unit.
Joining the ARNG on medical student status without the additional incentives and taking drill pay seems to make sense to me in terms of getting to experience military medicine and having the chance to commit to longer time if appropriate with my family at that time. It is my understanding that if I joined at the start of med school and worst case scenario hated the experience I could fulfill my commitment before I finish residency.
You're describing a very sensible plan. Many people talk about signing up for MDSSP prior to even starting medical school and are making a 16 year commitment with almost zero data. Scary.

Your description is correct. If you do not take incentives, you would finish your commitment halfway through residency. Also, if you found out that you liked your service, you can always sign up for MDSSP or STRAP down the road and still reach reap benefits.

@notdeadyet thanks for the quick reply.

Is there a way to join and receive the medical student, non-deployable status without taking incentives right away? I'm assuming I should find the AMEDD recruiter for my area to find out more situation specific and current information?

@notdeadyet thanks for the quick reply.

Is there a way to join and receive the medical student, non-deployable status without taking incentives right away? I'm assuming I should find the AMEDD recruiter for my area to find out more situation specific and current information?
You do not have to take MDSSP to be signed up under a medical student (e.g.: non-deployable) spot. You will be signed up under Direct Commission (and if you have an acceptance in hand and are sure about joining, you might be able to go to BOLC prior to med school which would be an awesome plus) and you will not be getting attending advanced training, so you are not qualified for a deployable AOC.

First step is to talk to an "AMEDD Officer Recruiter" for the state you'll be attending medical school. My recommendation is to call 800-Go-Guard and ask for this specific term (i.e.: you do not want an enlisted recruiter and you do not want a non-AMEDD officer recruiter).

Keep posting more questions here as they come up.

Ok great I will get in contact with an AMEDD Officer Recruiter. I am a former student athlete so am trying to get in shape and cut some weight to meet regs. Will probably depend a lot on the speed of that process.

Is there any flexibility on physical regs joining as a medical student? When do you have to meet size and AFPT requirements for the first time?

Is there any flexibility on physical regs joining as a medical student? When do you have to meet size and AFPT requirements for the first time?
No. The Army is quite strict on all soldiers meeting height/weight requirements (or tape, if needed). You will need to pass this during MEPS, which is the required physical you need to go through prior to joining.

APFT isn't done at joining. You will need to be able to pass it at least twice a year, typically in April and October (though some units will have you do one more frequently).

No. The Army is quite strict on all soldiers meeting height/weight requirements (or tape, if needed). You will need to pass this during MEPS, which is the required physical you need to go through prior to joining.

APFT isn't done at joining. You will need to be able to pass it at least twice a year, typically in April and October (though some units will have you do one more frequently).
Ask the amedd recruiter about doing physicals through dodmerb instead of meps....the ones in my office had a large discussion about the failure rates in meps being significantly higher than dodmerb

There are ways to get stuck in a deployment longer than 90 days for a doc. This usually has to do with the position you are serving in. For example a company commander (for an ASMC) or a brigade surgeon would both deploy with their units and stay in that position for the duration. However as longer as you deploy just as a doc and not in some of those rare and particular roles it is fine. My father served in the army guard with a similar situation and I am serving now.

There are ways to get stuck in a deployment longer than 90 days for a doc. This usually has to do with the position you are serving in. For example a company commander (for an ASMC) or a brigade surgeon would both deploy with their units and stay in that position for the duration. However as longer as you deploy just as a doc and not in some of those rare and particular roles it is fine. My father served in the army guard with a similar situation and I am serving now.
The 90 days boots-on-ground covers battalion surgeons but you're right that it would not cover Command positions like Company Commander and the like. I'm not sure why you'd ever have a physician as an ASMC company commander though. This is a Medical Services 70B-type job. No need for a doc.

The policy is pretty clear that docs are covered, but there is the exception when docs are functioning as Command positions. Other than that, if you are functioning as a physician and your unit deploys, you are still on the hook for 90 days of that deployment. This happened with a ASMC company I worked with.

Last edited:
I was not as sure for the battalion surgeon as I was just told that but never had it confirmed (that is a position I may be moving to in a few years or would have been open if I transferred states). Maybe it is because I am from a small state but our ASMC usually has a PA as the commander but docs have been as well (my father included). Like you said generally docs are covered but for anyone looking at joining the military they should be prepared to get used to nothing being absolute or simple. Things will always change (though the 90 days boots rule seems like it makes sense and will stick around especially after desert storm and docs leaving en masse).

I was not as sure for the battalion surgeon as I was just told that but never had it confirmed (that is a position I may be moving to in a few years or would have been open if I transferred states). Maybe it is because I am from a small state but our ASMC usually has a PA as the commander but docs have been as well (my father included). Like you said generally docs are covered but for anyone looking at joining the military they should be prepared to get used to nothing being absolute or simple. Things will always change (though the 90 days boots rule seems like it makes sense and will stick around especially after desert storm and docs leaving en masse).
Yeah, rottenba, you highlight one issue with the Guard that isn't talked about enough, which is he difference from state to state, which can be dramatic. There are some states that run their Guard with a pretty sad level of professionalism and others that work'em to death. There's definitely cultural differences that can affect the experience.

The doc or PA as ASMC company commander just seems weird. Does your state have a glut of PAs and docs or something? It just seems weird to put a clinical resource in one that can and is typically filled by a BA-holding 70B, which the Army seems to have plenty of. Then again, far be it from the Army to do something puzzling with manpower...

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I've been lurking on this thread for a while, but just decided to post because I have a few questions.
I'm currently a 3rd year medical student taking a 6 month LOA to get married and for boards ( I fell behind due to an injury which has resolved now.) I've been trying to get a hold of the AMEDD recruiter for my state, but it took about 3 weeks to finally speak to someone.

Turns out, the they just got a new AMEDD recruiter a couple of months ago and this person is very unfamiliar with dealing with all of this. They kept telling me they weren't sure if I'd be much help to them as a medical student, and that I should just enlist. They asked me a few times if I was okay doing a different job, to which I replied that I was only interested in joining as a medical student and being directly commissioned. When I talked to them yesterday, they said they were holding a meet in which they'd talk about me, so that they can figure out what they can do with me. This has made me a bit nervous about wanting to join, since it seems they have no clue what they're talking about. I'm also worried my current LOA might make things a bit more confusing for them. Where can I find the articles you guys reference, so that I can familiarize myself more with them?

I'm still trying to figure out if I do join, if taking MDSSP for years 3 and 4 would be a good idea or not. Or, if I should just hold off until I can do the STRAPs and repayment later during residency.

Thanks for any help and pointers.

@notdeadyet or anyone else who can help, forgive me if this has already been addressed but I've been looking around for awhile and haven't quite found what I need.

Can you elaborate on how this process works for prospective medical students currently enlisted in the ARNG? In my case, I enlisted soon after undergrad with the intent of joining Special Forces. Once I made it through a certain unit's "pre-selection," they unofficially offered me a spot in their unit once I complete the Q course. The deal is I serve two years in that unit as an 18 series MOS (crossing my fingers for 18D) and then they will help me transfer to another unit or active duty if so desired. So, assuming the whole SF thing works out, I am accepted into med school down the road, and my chain of command is supportive and cooperative after those two or so years, is there any major reason why I shouldn't be able to direct commission and switch my MOS to "medical student," with or without the incentives? At that time I will not have completely fulfilled my initial 6 year enlistment contract. I guess also, or in other words, what I'm asking is, what are the eligibility requirements in general for someone enlisted in the ARNG with a college degree applying to medical schools? If you could point me to some official documentation regarding this that would be great as well.

Thank you in advance. Just as others have said, I too have found a great deal of helpful information from the posts in this thread, so thank you again.

Can you elaborate on how this process works for prospective medical students currently enlisted in the ARNG?
Too easy. When you are accepted to medical school, you contact your state and your commanding officer and request reassigment as a medical student (09somethingorother). Once you are reassigned as a medical student, you are protected from deployment through medical school and internship (likely through medical school).

The exception is if your chain of command and state refuses based on you being in an even more in demand role than that of a physician. There are few of these, but SF might be one. You could very well approach them and they can just say "no." You could still head to medical school, but you would be deployable and drilling in school is painful. Particularly if you're with a high speed unit in which 8-12 MUTA drills are the norm.

I wouldn't sweat it too much, though. You're looking at 2 years training up + 2 years with the SF unit, so you must have burned through a majority of your enlistment by the time you apply, no? Worst case scenario would just be to wait out your enlistment.

This is interesting. So, I'm a contracted cadet in ROTC right now in Alabama. I enlisted as a combat medic in the Guard a few years back, and so elected to do the SMP program ($$$). Anyhow, the state commander implemented a policy recently that assigned control #'s to all of the SMP cadets, forcing us to stay in Reserve components whenever we commission. I am applying to USUHS this year, as I graduate in May '16, and I'm hoping that I get in... But I've recently been speaking to the HPSP recruiter in my area as a backup plan, and he says I'd likely need to get a conditional release if I do HPSP. However, if I do get in to USUHS, I'm wondering if they will override the control # or if I'd need to say screw it and drill as an LT while I was going to USUHS. I'm really not sure how it all works, and I wish I hadn't gotten myself stuck in all this ROTC business, as it makes things so much more complicated... Anyhow, if I'm forced to remain in a reserve component, I think MDSSP would be a good option. But I don't know how that would work in the various situations (USUHS, HPSP, etc.). Any advice/information?

How does MDSSP repayment and deployment work for fellowship? Does the guard tend to deploy fellows? Also, if I take MDSSP and no strap, and i decided to do 3 yr IM fellowship, when would I begin repaying the MDSSP obligation?

How does MDSSP repayment and deployment work for fellowship? Does the guard tend to deploy fellows? Also, if I take MDSSP and no strap, and i decided to do 3 yr IM fellowship, when would I begin repaying the MDSSP obligation?
Do you mean a 3yr IM residency? Repayment after residency

For fellowships you are deployable although I have been told anecdotally they try to leave you alone

You can go through residency confident that barring WWIII you'll be left alone to finish. With the current operational tempo, you'll probably be left alone during fellowship but it's dramatically more probably than residency. I'd have a plan in mind for how to deal with a deployment. The upshot is that your payback would be counting down during fellowship. Might be worth volunteering for a deployment between residency and fellowship if you can get some elective credit for one or both and negotiate a later start time. Again, with this op tempo it's probably not necessary but it's a little extra buffer if things suddenly heat up again...

Anyhow, if I'm forced to remain in a reserve component, I think MDSSP would be a good option. But I don't know how that would work in the various situations (USUHS, HPSP, etc.). Any advice/information?
So MDSSP is only available once you're in medical school, so it's a moot point for either USUHS (you'd be active military) or HPSP (you can't take HPSP and also take National Guard programs like HPSP).

Also, you can not take reserve corps benefits that obligate you for time while you are paying off time. So if you owe, say, 5 years of drill time for the Army and start taking MDSSP through medical school, your payback time STOPS while you take MDSSP. So you would keep drilling through medical school and residency, but if you did a 3 year residency, during those 7 years you'd only have paid back 3 years of your 5 year obligation and you'd owe an additional 8 years for MDSSP.

You can go through residency confident that barring WWIII you'll be left alone to finish. With the current operational tempo, you'll probably be left alone during fellowship but it's dramatically more probably than residency.
Ditto this. For the Guard, I've been told that if you're in a 1 or 2 year fellowship, you can request a delay and they will allocate your spot to someone else and you are obligated to go after fellowship. Maybe they're saying this to calm nerves, I have no idea.

Does anyone have the contact info for the AMEDD recruiter in Oregon? Additionally, is anyone currently in OR National Guard as a med student? Thanks.

Call 800-go-guard and ask for the contact information for the OR AMEDD officer recruiter. They will have the latest and greatest.

Reactions: 1 user
I will be starting med school in August and I want to join ARNG without the incentives. I'm just starting my paperwork now. My AMEDD recruiter listed me as a 70B. Is this correct for the no deployable status?

Thank you all for the helpful information regarding the MDSSP/STRAP/HPLRP. Can anyone shed light on my situation? I'm a 4th year med student and was selected for the MDSSP but I haven't commissioned yet. I have no prior service and am trying to make sure that I'm making the right decision to commission now.

I'm planning on doing a residency in Family Medicine, then applying for a Sports Medicine fellowship. Since I'm planning on applying for a Sports Medicine fellowship following residency, will having the MDSSP/STRAP hinder my chances of getting the fellowship? Also, if there are no guarantees for non-deployable status during fellowship, how much risk will the fellowship program be taking on me (since the fellowship is only 1 year) that I won't be deployed?

I will be starting med school in August and I want to join ARNG without the incentives. I'm just starting my paperwork now. My AMEDD recruiter listed me as a 70B. Is this correct for the no deployable status?
70b is administration.....your recruiter is wrong.

You should be 00E.....student officer

No, 70B is a health services administrator and it IS deployable. You would need the medical student MOS.

Medical Student is 00E67. That being said, I feel like there was at least one piece of paper where my MOS was listed as 70B in error. I suspect this is confusion based on medical students being officers commissioned into the Medical Service Corps. You later recommission to the Medical Corps once you have your MD.

Medical Student is 00E67. That being said, I feel like there was at least one piece of paper where my MOS was listed as 70B in error. I suspect this is confusion based on medical students being officers commissioned into the Medical Service Corps. You later recommission to the Medical Corps once you have your MD.
Ok thank you!!

So just to make sure, my MOS is 00E67 into the Medical Service Corps. I will recommission into the Medical Corps when I graduate and enter Residency? My recruiter mentioned something about recommissioning multiple times through school.

Hey guys, quick question. I'm currently an ENT resident (3rd year) and also in the ARNG. I was prior enlisted so I've accumulated almost 14 years of service. Anyway, based in time in grade for CPT to MAJ promotion (4 years), I'll be eligible for promotion to MAJ in the summer of 2017. I'll also have enough time in service to get promoted. However, I won't be done with residency until a year after in 2018. Can I get promoted to MAJ while still in residency? I googled this and couldn't find an exact answer, but saw that a 5th year neurosurgery resident was promoted to MAJ in the Army. Any thoughts? Do I really need to be completely board certified? For ENT, we have two part boards, a written at the end of 5th year of residency, and oral boards after being a year out in practice...so I technically won't be board certified until 2019. That would suck to have to wait until then to get promoted. Anyone?

I got promoted to 1LT as a medical student based on time-in-grade, I'm not aware of any reason why you shouldn't expect to hit O4 after 4 years a resident.

I got promoted to 1LT as a medical student based on time-in-grade, I'm not aware of any reason why you shouldn't expect to hit O4 after 4 years a resident.

I did as well, but you know how we couldn't technically be promoted to Captain until after graduating from. Med school? Well I'm wondering whether you can or cannot be promoted to MAJ before finishing residency.

There are no regs that i know of that prohibit someone from being promoted to MAJ while in residency. I know of someone who was promoted to MAJ before completion.

I've heard talk of the no-CPT-before-med-school-graduation thing before, but I haven't seen a reg on this. I have a hunch this refers to the fact that you need 4 years time-in-service to be promoted from 1LT to CPT and that's the length of medical school.