Army HPSP IRR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dksnap

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spoke with my local army recruiter and he told me that since 2003 the 4 years spent in dental school counts towards your inactive reserve time. He even showed me some kind of regulation that stated this. I was under the impression that you serve your 4 years IRR after the 4 years active duty. Has anyone heard something similar to this before?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're on the HSCP while in school then the answer is yes (because you're considered active duty).
If you're on the HPSP scholarship while in school then the answer is no (because you're not considered active duty).

my recruiter told me and showed me the same thing. it's different in the navy. im in the army and the 4 years in dental you are in the irr. not on navy hpsp

Members don't see this ad :)
I've always wondered: Why is the Navy the only branch that offers the HSCP in addition to offering the HPSP? Do the other branches not see a need or just refuse to acknowledge the obvious benefits of such a program? I must give kudos to the Navy for providing another option to serve and gain an education.

my recruiter told me and showed me the same thing. it's different in the navy. im in the army and the 4 years in dental you are in the irr. not on navy hpsp

good to know someone else heard this from the army recruiter. The documentation he showed me was very vague thought he was blowing smoke.

If you're on the HSCP while in school then the answer is yes (because you're considered active duty).
If you're on the HPSP scholarship while in school then the answer is no (because you're not considered active duty).

oooops...sorry if i confused anyone. I was only speaking for the Navy programs.