Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to hear if anyone has some insights on what Admissions is looking for in the Army-Baylor specific essays. Does anyone have some insights?
What are the prompts (we aren't applicants so we don't know every single application out there), and what are your concerns?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a pretty specific request. Unfortunately, your not going to see many people on here that can speak of the essay formats and requirements:

That said, I have a colleague that has gone through the Fort Sam Houston - JBSA Baylor Program while I was stationed there assisting in other certification programs right next to the sectional classes.

He stated though that first-hand leadership experience in volunteer services is what helped him impress the committee. His example was being a Boy Scout Varsity Unit Leader and his church callings he held and will keep while going through the program.

If you have specifics, list it here and I’ll relay the information. If you get in, pm me and I’ll connect you with him and additional insights to get you prepared.

BC_89, thank you for your reply. I am relying heavily on my enlisted military therapy/rehabilitation as an aide (3+ years) experiences. I am also focusing on my desire and passion to set my fellow soldiers up for success especially in their physical fitness, injury prevention, and also research and Army/military physical fitness program development for a fit Army (I am wondering if I should include or exclude this part - I can argue this part well, but I am not sure that this is a right time/place)....
I also do not have any per se leadership positions that I have held in the past, other than teaching sunday/russian school in church, being a squad lead for a summer job as a teenager (which was more than 10 years ago). I do have a leadership personality, however that does me no good if I do not have a track record... at this point would it be of any benefit if I talk about what leadership means to me and how I lead by example by being the best soldier, employee, person? Any advice would be appreciated.

Respectfully,

adpt09

What your discussing is exactly what you should angle your essay about. As far as talking about "change" for a fit army, I would leave that on the back burner for the time being. The army is already going through many changes with MEPS, physical fit requirements based on MOS (by October the APFT is completely changing the current 300 pt pushup, situp, and 2 mile run). The fact your prior service going in already puts you on the higher end of the admissions committee (based on a pt system by the time you go in for an interview...they already know who's a careerist vs. a civilian opportunist).

Don't dwell to much on it. My colleague I mentioned who went through the same program was not prior service and you have more of a historical correlation with the military life than most people who apply (don't let that go to your head and turn into a blue falcon).

Status
Not open for further replies.